Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Richard Raquepo <rr...@primeorion.com> on 2004/06/17 05:07:32 UTC

j2EE question

Hi everyone,

does using struts means your a j2ee programmer/developer?

we have built our own OR library, used javamail, some threads, XML configurations,etc...

what i know that is part of j2ee but we never actually used is EJB/CMP.

and we only deploy our apps on Tomcat and/or Causho Resin...

telling you all what i use/created... can i be considered a j2ee programmer?

im quite lost... thanks.

cheers,
    Richard

Re: j2EE question

Posted by Navjot Singh <na...@net4india.net>.
it seems this is big misconception that ejb == j2ee
j2ee is not just ejb. It includes a lotmore like
servlet/jsp/taglibs/jmx/jaxr/jms...so on

RE: Specifying JAAS permission on a per-action basis

Posted by Eric Dahnke <ed...@nyc.yamaha.com>.

I found the struts-config roles/controller a cleaner solution not requiring
all the configuration in the JAVA_HOME\jre\lib\security\*.  And you also
have to keep a separate list of resources to protect a la:

grant  Principal com.tagish.auth.TypedPrincipal "user" {
  permission com.xor.auth.perm.URLPermission \
  "/struts-example/editRegistration.do";
};

The above isn't bad, but we didn't need that much horsepower, nor do we do
authentication based on jaas, just the authorization part. I hate container
managed (user/jdbc realm based) authentication. IMO that should be used as a
replacement for Apache style htaccess authentication (which is what it is
intended for I believe) and develop application level authentication within
your own code / db.

Posted by Eric Dahnke <ed...@nyc.yamaha.com>.

RE: j2EE question

Posted by Marco Mistroni <mm...@waersystems.com>.
Hello,
	Yeah I suppose so.... J2EE is not only EJB/CMP..

Regards
	marco