Posted to commons-dev@ws.apache.org by Eran Chinthaka <ch...@apache.org> on 2008/11/27 05:59:24 UTC

[VOTE] Axis2 as TLP (Alternate Proposal)

Hi,

I think some of the components within WS projects should also move to the
new TLP. So this proposal is to take those also in to the new TLP.

Proposal
-------------
Move following projects, that are within WS project now in to a new TLP,
named as "Axis2"

1. Axis2 (Java and C)
2. All the projects within WS-Commons sub-project
3. Kandula2 (might have to refactor existing code base to extract only
Kandula2)
4. Rampart
5. Sandesha
6. Savan

With Mettha,
Eran Chinthaka

Health is the greatest gift; contentment is the greatest wealth; trusting is
the best relationship; nirvana is the highest joy. - Dhammapada

Re: [VOTE] Axis2 as TLP (Alternate Proposal)

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.
My (non-binding)  thoughts.......

On Thursday 27 November 2008 3:06:04 am David Illsley wrote:
> OK, I haven't discussd my thinking yet, so here goes.
>
> IMO the WS project is a disparate collection of stuff. This leads to:
> a. A lack of a coherent community
> b. A tough job for users to get what they want from the WS project
>
> I think that Axis2 and related technologies would be better served as
> a TLP which gathers just related technologies together. This should
> encourage a coherent community within the TLP, and making a TLP level
> decision to, for example, ship an Axis2 RSP bundle with Rampart and
> Sandesha pre-configured - the lack of whih is something I'm sure if
> hurting Axis2 at the moment,
>
> Given those thoughts, in my perfect world, I'd split Axis2/Java and
> Axis2/C into different TLPs as they do have pretty different
> communities (user and dev).
>
> As to which Java based projects I'd ship to Axis2/Java and which I'd
> leave in WS...
>
> Axiom... leave in WS and promote to a proper sub project. It has a lot
> to give, but is currently very effectively hidden from users. I think
> this would continue to be the case if it were moved under an Axis2
> TLP.

+1

> Neethi... last time I looked, it was only really useful when used with
> Axis2, so I'd move that to an Axis2 TLP

No, it's used in CXF as well.   HOWEVER, CXF only uses a part of it as is
(Policy objects themselves).  We have a "fork" of the builder stuff due to it
being tied directly to Axiom.   Ideally, to me, a "Neethi 3.0"   would be
created that would remove the direct Axiom tie (replace with XMLStreamReader
to match the writers) which would allow us to remove our fork of that part.
it would ALSO allow sharing of some other parts such as WS-SecurityPolicy
things and such.  So, to me, keep in WS and promote to proper subproject is
the right option.

> WS-Commons Transports... These are genuinely used by multiple TLPs and
> there is unlikely to be much 'user' interest in this project because
> we'll presumably ship them as part of Axis2 and Synapse. Therfore I
> don't think it matters much, so staying in WS seems reasonable.
>
> XmlSchema... leave in WS and promote to a proper sub project. Used
> widely, not Axis2 specific, and deserves a little more visibility.

Definitely +1.   Very used outside of Axis 2.

> Sandesha2, Rampart, Kandula2, Savan... move to an Axis2 TLP. These are
> (reasonably) tightly coupled to Axis2, drive Axis2 in interesting ways
> and are in demand by a large number of Axis2 users. Moving them to an
> Axis2 TLP would (IMO) allow that PMC to ship a compelling bundle and
> build a coherent community.

+1

--
Daniel Kulp
dkulp@apache.org

Re: [VOTE] Axis2 as TLP (Alternate Proposal)

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
All in all, I meant to write, I agree with David.

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Illsley <da...@gmail.com>.