Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by vhnguy2 <vh...@gmail.com> on 2007/10/15 21:38:38 UTC

Alternative packaging for monitoring collecting agent

Hi All,

The monitoring plugin has been going smoothly, up until the recent MEJB
security fix. The previous architecture was for the monitoring collecting
agent (a GBean which resided on the server to be monitored) to interface
with the MEJB. However, I was told that GBeans are not security
configurable. This is a problem, because now the GBean cannot talk to the
MEJB to collect statistics or any other JSR-77 information.

David Jencks suggested to write an EJB instead of using a GBean. However, I
wanted to use the GBean because of how nicely it stops/starts/fails with the
server. I know that an EJB's constructor is called once it is started (this
takes care of the doStart() functionality). But what about the
doStop()/doFail()? Is there a way to for me to run some housekeeping code
before the server or EAR is stopped?

Or, does anyone else have a better idea of how to package the monitoring
collecting agent so that it can be configured to overcome the security
restrictions of the new MEJB?

Thanks,
Viet