Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org> on 2008/12/02 11:27:05 UTC

whitelist_from_rcvd parsing error

I've been reading threads saying that whitelist_from is spoofable and
that I should be using whitelist_from_rcvd instead, so I checked the
three whitelist entries I use to whitelist_from_rcvd. Here is an
example:

whitelist_from_rcvd *@ludolph.de

However, I'm getting them rejected with the message:

config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, "*@ludolph.de" is not valid
for "whitelist_from_rcvd", skipping: whitelist_from_rcvd *@ludolph.de

Two specify the sender as *@example.com format and the third is a full
name like sender@example.com - these were acceptable as arguments for
whitelist_from. I can't find anything in the wiki or on the SA website
that shows the valid arguments for whitelist_from_rcvd, so what am I
doing wrong?

Martin

Re: whitelist_from_rcvd parsing error

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 05:55 -0500, Matt Kettler wrote:

> You need a second parameter to whitelist_from_rcvd. The second parameter
> is the hostname (or fragment thereof) that should be found in the
> This part does assume that you have trusted_networks configured
> properly, or that the auto-guesser works for your network (it won't if
> your MX is NATed).

Thanks. I listed my ISP's mailserver in trusted_networks and added it to
the whitelist_from_rcvd entries. That looks to be working.

Posted by Matt Kettler <mk...@verizon.net>.
Martin Gregorie wrote:
> I've been reading threads saying that whitelist_from is spoofable and
> that I should be using whitelist_from_rcvd instead, so I checked the
> three whitelist entries I use to whitelist_from_rcvd. Here is an
> example:
>
> whitelist_from_rcvd *@ludolph.de
>
> However, I'm getting them rejected with the message:
>
> config: SpamAssassin failed to parse line, "*@ludolph.de" is not valid
> for "whitelist_from_rcvd", skipping: whitelist_from_rcvd *@ludolph.de
>
> Two specify the sender as *@example.com format and the third is a full
> name like sender@example.com - these were acceptable as arguments for
> whitelist_from. I can't find anything in the wiki or on the SA website
> that shows the valid arguments for whitelist_from_rcvd, so what am I
> doing wrong?

You need a second parameter to whitelist_from_rcvd. The second parameter
is the hostname (or fragment thereof) that should be found in the
This part does assume that you have trusted_networks configured
properly, or that the auto-guesser works for your network (it won't if
your MX is NATed).

As for documentation, man Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf.

Or the web copy of the same text for version 3.2.x:

http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html#whitelist_and_blacklist_options

Re: whitelist_from_rcvd parsing error

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Martin Gregorie wrote on Tue, 02 Dec 2008 12:42:37 +0000:

> at the end of the INSTALL document it says to
> look at the USAGE document, but if this still exists it is not mentioned
> on the 'Doc' page.

/usr/share/doc/spamassassin-3.2.5/USAGE

> I admit I skipped over the Mail::Spamassassin::Conf because I thought it
> was just more module documentation

It's the most important part of the documentation, I'd say, as it explains
how to configure SA.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Re: whitelist_from_rcvd parsing error

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 11:55 +0100, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Martin Gregorie wrote on Tue, 02 Dec 2008 10:27:05 +0000:
>
> > I can't find anything in the wiki or on the SA website
> > that shows the valid arguments for whitelist_from_rcvd, so what am I
> > doing wrong?
>
> Please?
> http://spamassassin.apache.org/full/3.2.x/doc/Mail_SpamAssassin_Conf.html
> Is this the first time that you actually look at this documentation?

First time I looked for this item. Its not exactly easy to find from the
documentation page: right at the end of the INSTALL document it says to
look at the USAGE document, but if this still exists it is not mentioned
on the 'Doc' page.

I admit I skipped over the Mail::Spamassassin::Conf because I thought it
was just more module documentation, but OTOH it wasn't mentioned in the
FAQ and not found by a search for 'whitelist_from_rcvd.

Posted by Kai Schaetzl <ma...@conactive.com>.
Martin Gregorie wrote on Tue, 02 Dec 2008 10:27:05 +0000:

> I can't find anything in the wiki or on the SA website
> that shows the valid arguments for whitelist_from_rcvd, so what am I
> doing wrong?

Please?