Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Nick Glencross <ni...@glencros.demon.co.uk> on 2003/04/20 14:37:42 UTC

[users@httpd] Strange rewrite behaviour on alternate hits?

Hi,

Although I've been using Apache for CGI scripting for a few years, I'm a
newbie on mod_rewrite.

What I was trying to do is make the web server effectively ignore the
URL, and always run the same single CGI script.

mod_rewrite seems the best way to do this (correct me if I'm wrong!).
I'm using the version that comes with apache-2.0.44 on gentoo.

I've added the following three Rewrite* commands to the <Directory />
section in commonapache2.conf.

--------------

<Directory />
   Options -All -Multiviews
   AllowOverride None

RewriteEngine on

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !/cgi-bin/hello$
RewriteRule .* /cgi-bin/hello?

   <IfModule mod_access.c>
     Order deny,allow
     Deny from all
   </IfModule>

</Directory>

--------------

For now, the CGI script is simply:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use CGI qw/:standard/ ;

print header () ;

print start_html ('Hello') ;

print "Hello from HTML!\n" ;

print end_html ;

and when you run it, you get

<!DOCTYPE html
         PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
</head><body>Hello from HTML!

So far so good, so regardsless of what url you enter, you get:

"Hello from HTML!"

BUT... then on the next hit have to wait a while and get

"0 HTTP/1.1 200 OK Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 12:30:35 GMT Server:
Apache/2.0.44 (Gentoo/Linux) Keep-Alive: timeout=15, max=99 Connection:
Keep-Alive Transfer-Encoding: chunked Content-Type: text/html;
charset=ISO-8859-1 129 Hello from HTML! 0 0"

I see the timeout=15, and indeed there is roughly a 15 second wait.

Refresh, and things are ok. The problem seems to happen on alternate hits.

Now, if I browse "http://localhost/cgi-bin/hello" directly, there is
never a problem, so it really does look as though it is rewrite specific.

Can anyone shed any light on why I'm experiencing this, and even better,
provide a solution to what I'm trying to do.

Thanks in advance,

Nick Glencross

Re: [users@httpd] Strange rewrite behaviour on alternate hits?

Posted by Nick Glencross <ni...@glencros.demon.co.uk>.
Nick Glencross wrote:

> Nick Glencross wrote:
>
>> Refresh, and things are ok. The problem seems to happen on alternate
>> hits.
>
> As a bit more info to this, changing the mozilla HTTP Networking
> setting to HTTP 1.0 (or disabling the Keep-Alive?) seems to 'fix' it.
> This isn't a solution (as I can't ask people to make this change), but
> perhaps a useful experiment. Can anyone see how this might affect
> mod_rewrite?

Looks like this is fixed in 2.0.45. Thanks everyone!

Nick

Re: [users@httpd] Strange rewrite behaviour on alternate hits?

Posted by Nick Glencross <ni...@glencros.demon.co.uk>.
Nick Glencross wrote:

> Refresh, and things are ok. The problem seems to happen on alternate
> hits.

As a bit more info to this, changing the mozilla HTTP Networking setting
to HTTP 1.0 (or disabling the Keep-Alive?) seems to 'fix' it. This isn't
a solution (as I can't ask people to make this change), but perhaps a
useful experiment. Can anyone see how this might affect mod_rewrite?

Thanks,

Nick Glencross