Posted to dev@atlas.apache.org by Nigel Jones <jo...@uk.ibm.com> on 2016/01/13 15:11:51 UTC

Atlas & Storage back-ends

Has anyone deployed atlas "in anger" ie to support any kind of
production usage?

If so have you done any comparison on Hbase vs Cassandra as the storage
backend? I know there was a jira relating to cassandra configuration but
that was resolved.

My gut feel is Cassandra could be a more scalable option, but having not
done any testing myself (yet?) I'm wondering how scalable the Hbase
approach is today, and which might be a safer, more manageable option.

Nigel.

Re: Atlas & Storage back-ends

Posted by Nigel Jones <jo...@uk.ibm.com>.
On 19/01/2016 20:30, Seetharam Venkatesh wrote:

> Makes sense?

Yes - thanks... the answer makes sense. we don't have any figures/feel yet

Re: Atlas & Storage back-ends

Posted by Seetharam Venkatesh <ve...@innerzeal.com>.
Nigel,

Since most of the active contributors are very familiar with HBase, we have
tested it with HBase and documented the steps in the wiki. We have run any
formal performance but we know HBase scales.

OTOH, if anyone from the community is willing to test Cassandra, we
definitely would love to help them.

Also, Titan folks have done extensive testing and published numbers for
both Hbase and Cassandra. The workloads might be different but we are using
Titan as the graph DB.

Makes sense?

Thanks!

Venkatesh