Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by at...@pk.abnamro.com on 2002/11/14 08:28:46 UTC

[users@httpd] Header Limit Exceeded Problem

When my html page size becomes very large with approximately 7000 input
fiels then the images cannot be seen and no styling effects get applied. If
i try to submit the page then i get a "Size of a request header field
exceeds server limit." error. This all happen on the Apache webserver ? Can
anyone help with this ??

thanks in advance

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised
use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly
prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change.
ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (including its group companies) shall not be liable for
the improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in
this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your
system. ABN AMRO Bank N.V. (or its group companies) does not guarantee that
the integrity of this communication has been maintained nor that this
communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.

Re: [users@httpd] Header Limit Exceeded Problem

Posted by Chris Meadors <cl...@hereintown.net>.
Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 atif.zareef@pk.abnamro.com wrote:
>
>>When my html page size becomes very large with approximately 7000 input
>>fiels then the images cannot be seen and no styling effects get applied. If
>>i try to submit the page then i get a "Size of a request header field
>>exceeds server limit." error. This all happen on the Apache webserver ? Can
>>anyone help with this ??
>

> Use POST, not GET for the form method when you have lots of data.
>
> You can get Apache to accept more using
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#limitrequestline
> but it is not a great idea.  The GET method is not designed
> to handle huge input like that.

Since you handled the Apache side of the question, I'll point out that
the problem with the images and style sheet loading is not Apache, but
the web browser itself.  When you get a large number of widgets on a web
page some browsers really start to choke up and do things exactly like
was described.

--
Chris

Re: [users@httpd] Header Limit Exceeded Problem

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 atif.zareef@pk.abnamro.com wrote:
> When my html page size becomes very large with approximately 7000 input
> fiels then the images cannot be seen and no styling effects get applied. If
> i try to submit the page then i get a "Size of a request header field
> exceeds server limit." error. This all happen on the Apache webserver ? Can
> anyone help with this ??

Use POST, not GET for the form method when you have lots of data.

You can get Apache to accept more using
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#limitrequestline
but it is not a great idea.  The GET method is not designed
to handle huge input like that.

Joshua.