Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by markph <ma...@mailcan.com> on 2007/06/15 04:43:52 UTC

Re: Confused subversion?

Preston A. Elder wrote:

> In the end, this problem only happened because I did not want:
> http://svn.neuromancy.net/svn/project/...
>
> I wanted:
> http://svn.neuromancy.net/project/...
>
> And I got it working, however just as forewarning to anyone else who
> wishes to
> try something similar, custom error documents and <Location /> don't play
> well with eachother.

Curious what the solution was.  Using only <Directory /var/svn/*> is not the
full solution.  I too am trying to mimic the same thing:

http://svn.domain.com/project

I experience the SAME exact symptoms.

Mark

Re: Confused subversion?

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 15, 2007, at 00:52, Arnauld Van Muysewinkel wrote:

> 2007/6/15, markph:
>
>> Preston A. Elder wrote:
>>
>> > In the end, this problem only happened because I did not want:
>> > http://svn.neuromancy.net/svn/project/...
>> >
>> > I wanted:
>> > http://svn.neuromancy.net/project/...
>> >
>> > And I got it working, however just as forewarning to anyone else
>> who
>> > wishes to
>> > try something similar, custom error documents and <Location />
>> don't play
>> > well with eachother.
>>
>> Curious what the solution was.  Using only <Directory /var/svn/*>
>> is not the
>> full solution.  I too am trying to mimic the same thing:
>>
>> http://svn.domain.com/project
>>
>> I experience the SAME exact symptoms.
>
> Maybe you could use URL rewriting?
>
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/misc/rewriteguide.html

AFAIK Subversion doesn't support URL rewriting. Though of course you
should try it for yourself.

Re: Confused subversion?

Posted by Arnauld Van Muysewinkel <ar...@gmail.com>.

--
Arnauld Van Muysewinkel

Re: Confused subversion?

Posted by markph <ma...@mailcan.com>.

Thomas Harold wrote:

> A few clarification questions (I've forgotten the original thread and
> can't find it).  Are you using a single repository where "projectname"
> is a top level folder within the repository or are you saying that each
> "projectname" are their own repositories?

The latter, each projectname is its own repository.  For example:

http://svn.domainname/project1    points to    /var/svn/project1/
http://svn.domainname/project2    points to    /var/svn/project2/

Under each repository, I create the following:

/trunk/
/tags/
/branch/

Additionally...I created a /var/svn/_skel_ folder, which I use to import
into the newly created repository immediately after creation.  I wrote a
very simple script 'mksvnrepo.sh' that creates the necessary folders,
repository and sets up my preferred skeleton.

Then...apache does the rest (having it set up properly now).  User
permissions are specific to the svn.domainname.com virtual host, but are not
specific to each repository.

Thomas Harold wrote:

> I remember (vaguely) that there's a reason why, with a single
> repository, that you don't want it to be aliased(?) to the root folder
> in Apache.  I think it has to do with files that Apache needs in the
> root folder which can't be done if the root folder points directly at a
> repository.  Or maybe I'm confusing http access with WebDAV
> functionality (or is it one and the same)?

I do not know the answer to these questions.

Mark

Re: Confused subversion?

Posted by Thomas Harold <tg...@tgharold.com>.