Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2002/12/23 20:17:22 UTC

[betwixt] time for an alpha release?

betwixt has been in the commons proper for some time now but has not yet
had a release.

i talked with martin about this on IRC (irc.werken.com#betwixt, log
avaiable at http://irc.werken.com/channels/betwixt/12-22-02.html, everyone
welcome :)

betwixt probably isn't ready for a beta but it'd probably be a good idea
to create a baseline alpha release before trying to push ahead with a lot
of new functionality. this would allow those projects which depend on
betwixt to use a stable version rather than a snapshot.

probably we'd need to improve the documentation and the units tests before
the release but me and martin have probably got the time to get this done.

comments anyone?

and james - i don't have daedelus karma anymore. would you be willing to
act as release manager (when the time comes)?

- robert

Re: [betwixt] time for an alpha release?

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@yahoo.co.uk>.
From: "robert burrell donkin" <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>
> betwixt has been in the commons proper for some time now but has not yet
> had a release.
>
> i talked with martin about this on IRC (irc.werken.com#betwixt, log
> avaiable at http://irc.werken.com/channels/betwixt/12-22-02.html, everyone
> welcome :)
>
> betwixt probably isn't ready for a beta but it'd probably be a good idea
> to create a baseline alpha release before trying to push ahead with a lot
> of new functionality. this would allow those projects which depend on
> betwixt to use a stable version rather than a snapshot.

+1

> probably we'd need to improve the documentation and the units tests before
> the release but me and martin have probably got the time to get this done.
>
> comments anyone?
>
> and james - i don't have daedelus karma anymore. would you be willing to
> act as release manager (when the time comes)?

I'll happily act as release manager if noone else wants to jump in.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/

Re: [betwixt] time for an alpha release?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Monday, December 23, 2002, at 07:51 PM, Jon Scott Stevens wrote:

> I haven't tried a new version of it with Scarab in a long time because it
> has been working well enough (the .jar I'm using is from June 11th). If I
> have time, I will try updating to see what has broken for me. =)

that'd be great. thanks.

Posted by Jon Scott Stevens <jo...@latchkey.com>.
I haven't tried a new version of it with Scarab in a long time because it
has been working well enough (the .jar I'm using is from June 11th). If I
have time, I will try updating to see what has broken for me. =)

-jon

Re: [betwixt] time for an alpha release?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Thursday, December 26, 2002, at 02:38 AM, Henri Yandell wrote:

>>> If James' is too busy, I can offer to help with the file-handling.
>>
>> what would be very useful would right now is if the documentation on the
>> website could be refreshed by running a maven (CVS HEAD version) site
>> deploy for betwixt. (it's been two months since it was last refreshed.)
>
> Redeploy done. Old version available at
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/betwixt/old.20021225/
> just in case something didn't go right.

looks great :)

thanks Henri

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> On Monday, December 23, 2002, at 07:26 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
> >>
> >> and james - i don't have daedelus karma anymore. would you be willing to
> >> act as release manager (when the time comes)?
> >
> > If James' is too busy, I can offer to help with the file-handling.
>
> what would be very useful would right now is if the documentation on the
> website could be refreshed by running a maven (CVS HEAD version) site
> deploy for betwixt. (it's been two months since it was last refreshed.)

Redeploy done. Old version available at
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/betwixt/old.20021225/
just in case something didn't go right.

Hen

Re: [betwixt] time for an alpha release?

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Monday, December 23, 2002, at 07:26 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, robert burrell donkin wrote:
>
>> betwixt has been in the commons proper for some time now but has not yet
>> had a release.
>
> +1. I've heard good things of the project and I think it would help
> betwixt's word of mouth advertising.

there a whole lot of work that needs doing on betwixt. so hopefully it won'
t become too popular too quickly. any help gratefully received :)

the big problem at the moment is that the internal design is confused and
difficult to learn. this makes it hard to learn how to create patches for
betwixt. (even me and martin who are supposed to know the code find it
difficult to work with betwixt.)

>> comments anyone?
>>
>> and james - i don't have daedelus karma anymore. would you be willing to
>> act as release manager (when the time comes)?
>
> If James' is too busy, I can offer to help with the file-handling.

thanks :)

Posted by Henri Yandell <ba...@generationjava.com>.

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, robert burrell donkin wrote:

> betwixt has been in the commons proper for some time now but has not yet
> had a release.

+1. I've heard good things of the project and I think it would help
betwixt's word of mouth advertising.

> comments anyone?
>
> and james - i don't have daedelus karma anymore. would you be willing to
> act as release manager (when the time comes)?

If James' is too busy, I can offer to help with the file-handling.

Hen

Re: [betwixt] time for an alpha release?

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
Betwixt needs more than a beta - it needs a release.

I'm happy to help where I can.... I've still got daedalus access too.
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote on