Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com> on 2006/10/13 15:25:59 UTC

[drlvm][jit][Jitrino.OPT] Jitrino.OPT stability improvements

Harmoniers,

Thanks to Mikhail Fursov, George Timoshenko, Nikolay Sidelnikov (and
me, of course:) all critical bugs (as in [1]) in Jitrino.OPT have
their fixing patches and I like them. I think, it is a good step
forward to enabling the self-hosting environment.

Here are the champions:
+ HARMONY-1774 (fixes also HARMONY-1773,  HARMONY-1775)
+ HARMONY-1802 (no more crash in HARMONY-1688, but a hang:)
+ HARMONY-1796
+ HARMONY-1781
+ HARMONY-1682 (fixes also HARMONY-1695)

I tried them all:
* Linux (SUSE 9, gcc-3.3.3)
  + Smoke, cunit, kernel. And only the ThreadTest failed, which is
    normal :)
* windows
  + cunit OK, kernel tests fail with "Process fork failed", which is
    my configuration problem. BTW, anybody seen this?

[1] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Unit_Tests_Pass_on_DRLVM

Re: [drlvm][jit][Jitrino.OPT] Jitrino.OPT stability improvements

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.
On the 0x204 day of Apache Harmony Geir Magnusson, Jr. wrote:
> Alexey Varlamov wrote:
> > [snip]

> >> I have no crash, only "..." printed and a CPU-eating infinite loop
> > This is "expected" behaviour for now, waiting for classloading fix +
> > the test should be fixed, patch is available.
>
> You do realize that if we tell people that we expect that our VM loops
> infinitely, we're not going to get too many users.... :)

sometimes users are happy when their ticks are spent on GIMPS. Integrate?))

Re: [drlvm][jit][Jitrino.OPT] Jitrino.OPT stability improvements

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Alexey Varlamov wrote:
> [snip]
>> >
>> > Applied. 1688 still crashes for me
>>
>> I have no crash, only "..." printed and a CPU-eating infinite loop
>
> This is "expected" behaviour for now, waiting for classloading fix +
> the test should be fixed, patch is available.

You do realize that if we tell people that we expect that our VM loops
infinitely, we're not going to get too many users.... :)

geir

Re: [drlvm][jit][Jitrino.OPT] Jitrino.OPT stability improvements

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
[snip]

--
Alexey

Re: [drlvm][jit][Jitrino.OPT] Jitrino.OPT stability improvements

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Egor Pasko wrote:
> On the 0x202 day of Apache Harmony Geir Magnusson, Jr. wrote:
>> Egor Pasko wrote:
>>> Harmoniers,
>>> Thanks to Mikhail Fursov, George Timoshenko, Nikolay Sidelnikov (and
>>> me, of course:) all critical bugs (as in [1]) in Jitrino.OPT have
>>> their fixing patches and I like them. I think, it is a good step
>>> forward to enabling the self-hosting environment.
>>> Here are the champions:
>>> + HARMONY-1774 (fixes also HARMONY-1773,  HARMONY-1775)
>> Applied.  IMO, doesn't fix 1775
>
> Greater thanks, Geir! I should have checked this. Today I observe the
> same. RCE=off passes the test as in older times. I'll take a look.
>
>>> + HARMONY-1802 (no more crash in HARMONY-1688, but a hang:)
>> Applied. 1688 still crashes for me
>
> I have no crash, only "..." printed and a CPU-eating infinite loop

Excuse me :) You're right.  It's the much-dreaded "CPU-eating infinite
loop of doom" (which is worse than a crash as it wastes CPU resource ;)

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
done

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.
Please, apply 1814 fix
too. The fix is quite simple but the bug is important - several
people faced this problem.

On 10/15/06, Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Geir, please also apply the HARMONY-1762 fix. It contains one more
> DRLVM stability fix, but in this case in GC (v4.1 or gc_cc) component.
>
> HARMONY-1815 contains small and highly desirable fix for EM64T.
> Without it the GC doesn't work on the architecture.
> --
> Ivan
>
> On 10/14/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:
> >

> > Egor Pasko wrote:
> > > Harmoniers,
> > >
> > > Thanks to Mikhail Fursov, George Timoshenko, Nikolay Sidelnikov (and
> > > me, of course:) all critical bugs (as in [1]) in Jitrino.OPT have
> > > their fixing patches and I like them. I think, it is a good step
> > > forward to enabling the self-hosting environment.
> > >
> > > Here are the champions:
> > > + HARMONY-1774 (fixes also HARMONY-1773,  HARMONY-1775)
> >
> > Applied.  IMO, doesn't fix 1775
> >
> > > + HARMONY-1802 (no more crash in HARMONY-1688, but a hang:)
> >
> > Applied. 1688 still crashes for me
> >
> > > + HARMONY-1796
> >
> > Applied.
> >
> > > + HARMONY-1781
> >
> > Applied
> >
> > > + HARMONY-1682 (fixes also HARMONY-1695)
> >
> > Applied
> >

> > > I tried them all:
> > > * Linux (SUSE 9, gcc-3.3.3)
> > >   + Smoke, cunit, kernel. And only the ThreadTest failed, which is
> > >     normal :)
> > > * windows
> > >   + cunit OK, kernel tests fail with "Process fork failed", which is
> > >     my configuration problem. BTW, anybody seen this?
> > >
> > > [1] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Unit_Tests_Pass_on_DRLVM

Mikhail Fursov

Re: [drlvm][jit][Jitrino.OPT] Jitrino.OPT stability improvements

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
seems to work.  Doesn't blow up :)

Posted by Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Egor Pasko wrote:
> On the 0x202 day of Apache Harmony Geir Magnusson, Jr. wrote:
>> Egor Pasko wrote:
>>> Harmoniers,
>>> Thanks to Mikhail Fursov, George Timoshenko, Nikolay Sidelnikov (and
>>> me, of course:) all critical bugs (as in [1]) in Jitrino.OPT have
>>> their fixing patches and I like them. I think, it is a good step
>>> forward to enabling the self-hosting environment.
>>> Here are the champions:
>>> + HARMONY-1774 (fixes also HARMONY-1773,  HARMONY-1775)
>> Applied.  IMO, doesn't fix 1775
>
> Now the fix is available for 1775, see JIRA for more details..

I'm testing it, but jitrino finalizer smoke test consistently fails
now... testing...

Posted by Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Egor Pasko wrote:
> Harmoniers,
>
> Thanks to Mikhail Fursov, George Timoshenko, Nikolay Sidelnikov (and
> me, of course:) all critical bugs (as in [1]) in Jitrino.OPT have
> their fixing patches and I like them. I think, it is a good step
> forward to enabling the self-hosting environment.
>
> Here are the champions:
> + HARMONY-1774 (fixes also HARMONY-1773,  HARMONY-1775)

Applied.  IMO, doesn't fix 1775

> + HARMONY-1802 (no more crash in HARMONY-1688, but a hang:)

Applied. 1688 still crashes for me

> + HARMONY-1796

Applied.

> + HARMONY-1781

Applied

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.
you all are mighty!  When I get off of this plane, I'll get them in and
we can keep moving.  Well done!

geir

Posted by Mikhail Fursov <mi...@gmail.com>.
Thanks to Egor, that he raised the issue!
I would appreciate if these patches are commited to the trunk. I have new
ones, but the changes are in the same files.. :(

On 13 Oct 2006 20:25:59 +0700, Egor Pasko <eg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Harmoniers,
>
> Thanks to Mikhail Fursov, George Timoshenko, Nikolay Sidelnikov (and
> me, of course:) all critical bugs (as in [1]) in Jitrino.OPT have
> their fixing patches and I like them. I think, it is a good step
> forward to enabling the self-hosting environment.
>
> Here are the champions:
> + HARMONY-1774 (fixes also HARMONY-1773,  HARMONY-1775)
> + HARMONY-1802 (no more crash in HARMONY-1688, but a hang:)
> + HARMONY-1796
> + HARMONY-1781
> + HARMONY-1682 (fixes also HARMONY-1695)
>
> I tried them all:
> * Linux (SUSE 9, gcc-3.3.3)
>   + Smoke, cunit, kernel. And only the ThreadTest failed, which is
>     normal :)
> * windows
>   + cunit OK, kernel tests fail with "Process fork failed", which is
>     my configuration problem. BTW, anybody seen this?
>
> [1] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/Unit_Tests_Pass_on_DRLVM
>
> --
> Egor Pasko, Intel Managed Runtime Division

Mikhail Fursov