Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> on 2007/06/21 18:34:18 UTC

[DISCUSS] 2.0 Release Criteria

We've gone through the CTS grind and came out victorious http://
java.sun.com/javaee/overview/compatibility.jsp

OpenEJB has moved to TopLevel and CXF has certified and Axis 2 is
working that way too.

All in all its been an excellent six months.

So, what are we going to do for 2.0 and getting it out the door?

Here are my thoughts and we can use this thread to gather everyone
else's and come to a consensus.

2.0 Ship Criteria
Date:  mid to end of July (a target only...depends on content)

Certified Assemblies
Tomcat, Axis 2 and OpenJPA
Jetty, CXF and OpenJPA

Other assemblies would be the minimal assemblies but cert doesn't
apply to them.

Work on fit and finish stuff (cleaning up error messages, improving
diagnostics, reducing footprint).

Personally, I'd like to see the full G have a footprint of about 40MB
(that's a little over 5MB larger than 1.1.1) and Minimal be around
20MB.  Need to do some research on this (volunteers?)

I'm not sure how the WADI clustering presents itself across the two
different assemblies (Gianny, comments?)

Post 2.0 Items

What to do about OSGi?  Seems like there has been discussion but no
real movement in this area.
Flexible Server (there has been some discussion on the list about
allowing users without a PhD in G to create their own custom assemblies.
Would be neat to Create a minimal assemblie that included ServiceMix
for a lightweight ESB endpoint
Better monitoring and diagnosis

Thoughts?

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0 Release Criteria

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.
Hello Donald,

Indeed, this is only for the Jetty assembly, and even for the jee5
one as WADI is not enabled for the minimal one.

WADI does not depend on CXF. The problem is that the admin console
uses Spring 2.0, which discovers NamespaceHandler implementations
from specific resource files. A cxf JAR declares
org.apache.cxf.clustering.spring.NamespaceHandler as a
NamespaceHandler and this declaration is wrong. I believe this a
problem with any Web-application using Spring 2.0. I will do a full
build with a clean repo and see if it comes from me using an old
version of a cxf JAR.

Thanks,
Gianny

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gianny Damour <gi...@optusnet.com.au>.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Short answer:
The plan is to pick up Tomcat 6.1.0 when it becomes available.  Right
now that branch is undergoing significant rework for comet support so
I wouldn't expect a release until it stabilizes.

Long answer:
GERONIMO-3206 describes how Geronimo's Tomcat component is currently
built.   It is based on Tomcat's 6.0.13 release which is missing two
things that Geronimo needs in order to pass all tests:
-  My patch for bugzilla 42436.  It's applied to 6.0.x trunk but not
released yet.
-  David Jencks' annotation patch, which they decided to apply to
6.1.0 (trunk) instead of their 6.0.x maintenance stream.  It should
be available in 6.1.0.

I saw where you had posted in Vamsi's bugzilla asking them to make
his patch available in a 6.0.x release in time for Geronimo 2.0.
Please keep in mind that even if they apply that patch and vote a new
6.0.x release in the time frame you requested (July) we would still
need to merge David's annotation patch since they did not apply it to
6.0.x.  That is unless you would rather request that they apply
Vamsi's patch to trunk and release 6.1.0.   In that case they would
also need to apply my patch for the regression problem in bugzilla
42559 (I think Remy plans to do that eventually since he already
applied it to 6.0.x).

Best wishes,
Paul

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
On Jun 21, 2007, at 8:49 PM, Jay D. McHugh wrote:

> Has anyone checked to see if the ConcurrentModificationException
> that blocked 1.2 is affecting 2.0?

On the list...

I've recreated the environment but I'm getting a connection error
where we run out of connections.   I owe this to Dain and it may be
an issue for 2.0...we'll see.

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@joyfulnoisewebdesign.com>.
Has anyone checked to see if the ConcurrentModificationException that
blocked 1.2 is affecting 2.0?

If it is, we should probably make sure that it gets fixed before doing a
final release on 2.0 (plus, then 1.2 will finally be able to get
released too).

Jay

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
On 6/21/07, Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org> wrote:
> We've gone through the CTS grind and came out victorious http://
> java.sun.com/javaee/overview/compatibility.jsp
>
> OpenEJB has moved to TopLevel and CXF has certified and Axis 2 is
> working that way too.
>
> All in all its been an excellent six months.
>
> So, what are we going to do for 2.0 and getting it out the door?
>
> Here are my thoughts and we can use this thread to gather everyone
> else's and come to a consensus.
>
> 2.0 Ship Criteria
> Date:  mid to end of July (a target only...depends on content)
>
> Certified Assemblies
> Tomcat, Axis 2 and OpenJPA
> Jetty, CXF and OpenJPA
>
> Other assemblies would be the minimal assemblies but cert doesn't
> apply to them.
>
> Work on fit and finish stuff (cleaning up error messages, improving
> diagnostics, reducing footprint).
>
> Personally, I'd like to see the full G have a footprint of about 40MB
> (that's a little over 5MB larger than 1.1.1) and Minimal be around
> 20MB.  Need to do some research on this (volunteers?)

Another thing that comes to mind is the runtime footprint. Isn't that
another thing that we should evaluate as a metric ? Thoughts ?

Cheers
Prasad

Re: Atkins for Geronimo - was Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0 Release Criteria

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Yeah.. That is what I had last night. But it had many duplicates.
Maybe I should go back to that version

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Try this now.
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pZVJhnHN3LjuF5FjgmXnrRQ

It could add some more finer touches. But it gives a lot of info as is.

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
David "Master Yoda" Jencks,

When you went through the list of artifacts in our G repo, did you see
any that looked like we may not need it but it may have been picked up
as a M2 transitive dep ?

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.
+1 as this would provide a common schema for other vendor implementations
(like MySQL, Oracle, DB2, ...)

-Donald

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Jarek Gawor <jg...@gmail.com>.
I think we can remove our Xerces dependency too. That's 1.2M. Last
time I checked only Castor needed it. So if we don't need Castor
anymore (or we upgrade to Castor 1.1+) we should be able to drop the
Xerces jar file.

Jarek

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Another thing to remember is that M2 builds gave us transitive
dependencies. So it could quite be possible that we picked up some
unneeded artifacts.

We bloated by 20+M from 1.1 to 1.2.

Cheers
Prasad

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
Like Jay says, several recent additions to the admin console use dojo:
Classloader Viewer
JMX Viewer
Dependency Viewer
LDAP Viewer
JNDI Viewer

The typical way of using dojo in a webapp is to include it in your
WAR.  Dojo provides some tooling to trim their js library down to
just the parts that your webapp needs.

Instead of doing that we made the entire js library available at the
context "/dojo" so that other webapps besides the admin console could
share it.   We could look into trimming some of the fat out of that
js library by identifying which parts are less useful.

Another idea would be to zip the dojo js library in a jar and serve
up files from it on demand using a servlet.  That could have a
performance impact on applications that use dojo more heavily because
they load lots of js files on initial bringup.

Longer term, we're working on a pluggable admin console that will
allow users to add these spiffy new viewers (and the dojo prereq) to
their admin console on demand.

Best wishes,
Paul

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 28, 2007, at 1:58 PM, Jay D. McHugh wrote:

> Right now, I don't think we can remove dojo.  Some of the more
> recent additions to the admin console are using it.

Ya, I know it would take a little work. I'm not really advocating
removal, but putting it on the table...

> Those would either have to be removed, changed to plugins, or be
> completely rewritten.
>
> I would say that if there is redundancy in the configs, that would
> be the place to look (at least for now).

Agreed.

> BTW, do we need both versions of xbean (3.0 and 3.1)?

Don't think so. Should work on getting down to a single version...

--kevan

Re: Atkins for Geronimo - was Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0 Release Criteria

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@joyfulnoisewebdesign.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jul 3, 2007, at 12:16 AM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

>>> org/apache/axis2 (3M)
>>> org/apache/cxf (2M) is new.
>>>

> Isn't Axis 1 piece parts required regardless its just CXF / Axis
> 2?  Wasn't sure if the Axis2 above included the 1 parts.

Yes, Axis 1 is required, regardless. No, the "Axis2" size did not
include "Axis1".

--kevan

Re: Atkins for Geronimo - was Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0 Release Criteria

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@joyfulnoisewebdesign.com>.
The page has been updated to move the contents of repository/geronimo to

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@joyfulnoisewebdesign.com>.
You are right Prasad,

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
Great work ... I'll sniff both.  Anything pop out at y'all from this
exercise ?

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.
Matt, Jay,

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@joyfulnoisewebdesign.com>.

Posted by Prasad Kashyap <go...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Blevins <da...@visi.com>.
On Jul 16, 2007, at 3:18 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> Prasad Kashyap wrote:
>>
>> Theoretically it shouldn't matter at all. If they don't, let's just
>> release our existing combination of quad assemblies. There's a pack
>> for everybody.
>>

> +1

So where are things on the web container front with regards to the
console?  IIRC, that was the only thing that prevented us from
shipping one big all-in-one assembly with say four config.xml files
in it for each combination.  Theoretically we could even put up for
download one big non-certified binary followed by four separately
downloadable config.xml files, some certified and some not.

-David

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0 Release Criteria

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Prasad Kashyap wrote:
> Jeff mentioned that people feel strongly about their webservices pack
> much like they would about religion. Does anybody have an idea on how
> these are most commonly used ?
>
> 1. Do people preferring one webservices pack also prefer one
> webcontainer over another ? Eg. do axis2 folks prefer Jetty over
> Tomcat ? Or they don't care ? Another way to look at it is, does one
> webcontainer go well with one webservices pack ? Eg. Is Tomcat better
> with CXF than with Axis2 ?
>
> Theoretically it shouldn't matter at all. If they don't, let's just
> release our existing combination of quad assemblies. There's a pack
> for everybody.

+1

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Jeff Genender wrote:
> Joe Bohn wrote:
>> That looks like a lot of assemblies to me.  I'd personally prefer to
>> ship just 4 (or 5) assemblies total with just 2 javaee5 assemblies. We
>> could still certify all 4 javaee5 permutations even if we don't ship
>> unique assemblies.  However, I think this is a "nice to have" rather
>> than critical ... time and severity of problems would push us to claim
>> certification for just 2 (maybe even just 1) configuration.
>>
>> Anybody have any idea/guess how many users are mostly concerned with the
>> minimal assemblies?  If most users (or a significant number) are on
>> minimal then we might be spending too much energy trying to decide how
>> many javaee5 permutations to deliver for very little user benefit.  Even
>> if we deliver just the 2 javaee5 assemblies the users that have a strong
>> opinion can easily reconfigure the server.  My hunch is that most of the
>> strong opinions are developer opinions rather than opinions based upon
>> user needs.
>
> Then lets ask the community and get feedback.  I personally am speaking
> to the CTS releases.  The minimals seem as a no-brainer to me.  I really
> think the quad release is the way to go.

Yes, we should try to get the users' opinion.  I was speaking to all of
the assemblies because I was trying to look at things from the user's
perspective when they first go to the Geronimo download page.  With the
quad JavaEE5 releases we're giving the user the choice of 7 assemblies
on the download page.

> I think running the CTS 2 additional times will not create much of a
> delay.  If it looks like it will, then we drop the 2 additional.  We
> also are setting our sites on Tomcat/Axis2 and Jetty/CXF.  If we *can*
> deliver that, then I think its safe to say that all 4 will pass.
> However, its possible that it may end up as Jetty/Tomcat/CXF, because
> that one works.

I think we are in agreement on the certification objective:
- We target Tomcat/Axis2 & Jetty/CXF for certification with a target
deadline.
- If we beat our deadline with runway to spare we attempt to certify the
other 2 configurations.  If we get it all done then great ... we claim
certification on all 4 configurations.   Otherwise we just claim the 2
target configurations as certified.  We could do all 4 certifications in
parallel but that would mean less machines available to certify the
target configurations more quickly.  It takes close to 3 days for the
tests on a dedicated, fast machine with potential re-runs for the
strange failures that seem to happen in the harness.  I was able to
speed this up some last time by splitting the tests on several identical
machines.  Given that we don't have an infinite number of machines
running twice the number of tests will most likely double the time to
certify which is why I would prefer to certify the target configurations
and then certify the additional configs with the remaining time.
- If we have problems meeting the deadline for some reason we look for
the most likely configuration to pass and certify that configuration.

> I guess to get closer to Kevan's point (and Kevan, correct me if I am
> off base here), is...we have a certified stack.  Do we want to set a
> date and draw a line in the sand for *some* release, whether its, 2 or 4
> certified versions, and the mix of configuration is dependent on who
> shows up as certified...and then have 2.0.1 be the official release of
> all 4?  Or do we wait for Axis2 to catch up before an official 2.0 release?

This is where the discussion moves beyond certifying configurations to
the assemblies we create and make available for download.
- If we meet our target (dual) then we ship assemblies of the 2
configurations that passed certification (tomcat/axis2 & jetty/cxf).
- If we fail to meet our target we ship the 1 configuration that passed
as an assembly.  This configuration may be neither of the target
configurations (most like it would be Tomcat/CXF that we certified on
previously).  IMO we should have at least one assembly that has passed
CTS without any additional configuration necessary so we should
definitely ship this as an assembly.  It it wasn't one of the targets
then we should re-evaluate what additional assemblies to ship.  It would
seem logical to ship an assembly with the opposite components in the
configuration.  (lots of words for an unlikely scenario)
- If we surpass our target and certify on all 4 configurations we could
choose to distribute all 4 assemblies.  However, I personally don't
think that is necessary and it may not even be desirable.  My initial
reaction is in favor of simplification over giving the user all these
choices when they first go to the Geronimo download page.  I think we're
already overly complex with duplicate assemblies based on the web server
impl.  Adding the web services impl to the mix and filling out the
matrix just makes it worse.  Users that have a strong preference on the
web services impl can easily change the configuration (we could even put
a note on the download page about this).  However, since we don't have
data on the user preference one way or the other I think this all comes
down to what we think most users want/need.  I think the most users want
simplicity but I'll go along with the group consensus.

> Joe, may I ask why you are not up to a quad release if its just running
> the tests 2 additional times and causing very little delay?

I ended up answering this above.  I hope that helps clarify my opinion.
  But it really is just my opinion at this point so I'm open to hearing
other opinions.

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0 Release Criteria

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
Joe Bohn wrote:
> That looks like a lot of assemblies to me.  I'd personally prefer to
> ship just 4 (or 5) assemblies total with just 2 javaee5 assemblies. We
> could still certify all 4 javaee5 permutations even if we don't ship
> unique assemblies.  However, I think this is a "nice to have" rather
> than critical ... time and severity of problems would push us to claim
> certification for just 2 (maybe even just 1) configuration.
>
> Anybody have any idea/guess how many users are mostly concerned with the
> minimal assemblies?  If most users (or a significant number) are on
> minimal then we might be spending too much energy trying to decide how
> many javaee5 permutations to deliver for very little user benefit.  Even
> if we deliver just the 2 javaee5 assemblies the users that have a strong
> opinion can easily reconfigure the server.  My hunch is that most of the
> strong opinions are developer opinions rather than opinions based upon
> user needs.

Then lets ask the community and get feedback.  I personally am speaking
to the CTS releases.  The minimals seem as a no-brainer to me.  I really
think the quad release is the way to go.

I think running the CTS 2 additional times will not create much of a
delay.  If it looks like it will, then we drop the 2 additional.  We
also are setting our sites on Tomcat/Axis2 and Jetty/CXF.  If we *can*
deliver that, then I think its safe to say that all 4 will pass.
However, its possible that it may end up as Jetty/Tomcat/CXF, because
that one works.

I guess to get closer to Kevan's point (and Kevan, correct me if I am
off base here), is...we have a certified stack.  Do we want to set a
date and draw a line in the sand for *some* release, whether its, 2 or 4
certified versions, and the mix of configuration is dependent on who
shows up as certified...and then have 2.0.1 be the official release of
all 4?  Or do we wait for Axis2 to catch up before an official 2.0 release?

Joe, may I ask why you are not up to a quad release if its just running
the tests 2 additional times and causing very little delay?

Jeff

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0 Release Criteria

Posted by Joe Bohn <jo...@earthlink.net>.

Jeff Genender wrote:

> Kevan Miller wrote:
>> We don't know what (if any) delay that we're looking at. To date, our
>> discussions have been that we'll certify both Tomcat/Axis *AND*
>> Jetty/CXF. That's a perfectly valid plan. As you point out, there's a
>> decent chance that the alternate permutations are compliant as well, and
>> we have a certification testing overhead. However, what if some
>> permutations are not compliant? What if one or more technologies are not
>> compliant in any permutation? Do we delay release? Or release with a
>> subset of compliant configurations?
>
> I think we should give it a shot and if it looks like its going to pass
> or a small fix, then lets do it.  If it shows major errors, then sweep
> it under the rug for the time being and drop the 4 idea.  Lets certainly
> not delay, but lets run 'em.  Best case scenario is they pass and we
> have 4 releases.  Worst is they don't pass and we fall back to the
> original plan.
>
>> So, our meets-max criteria is certify all permutations of web container
>> and web services technologies. What's meets-min? If we're delaying
>> making a decision on our meets-min criteria, then lets say we'll make
>> this decision at some future date.
>
> Meets-min == original plan.
>
>> With regards to what assemblies do we make available? I like your idea
>> of making it easy to switch web services technologies. Continue to
>> deliver Tomcat and Jetty assemblies. The Tomcat assembly defaults to
>> Axis2 for the Web Services implementation. The Jetty assembly defaults
>> to CXF. However, by editing the config.xml, either assembly can be
>> configured to use the alternate Web Services implementation.
>>

> Yep, but I think its a better sell at the end of the day to have all 4
> to met the religious needs.  Again, we can always fall back to what you
> stated above.

Just to be clear ... the "4" assembly solution actually involves 6
(maybe 7 assemblies) of which we would only certify 4.
- tomcat javaee5 with axis2
- tomcat javaee5 with cxf
- jetty javaee5 with axis2
- jetty javaee5 with cxf
- tomcat minimal
- jetty minimal
- micro-G (Geronimo framework) is still included in the build as an
assembly as well.  We could choose to skip this assembly for the release
as our plugin story still isn't complete ... but we delivered this in 1.2

That looks like a lot of assemblies to me.  I'd personally prefer to
ship just 4 (or 5) assemblies total with just 2 javaee5 assemblies. We
could still certify all 4 javaee5 permutations even if we don't ship
unique assemblies.  However, I think this is a "nice to have" rather
than critical ... time and severity of problems would push us to claim
certification for just 2 (maybe even just 1) configuration.

Anybody have any idea/guess how many users are mostly concerned with the
minimal assemblies?  If most users (or a significant number) are on
minimal then we might be spending too much energy trying to decide how
many javaee5 permutations to deliver for very little user benefit.  Even
if we deliver just the 2 javaee5 assemblies the users that have a strong
opinion can easily reconfigure the server.  My hunch is that most of the
strong opinions are developer opinions rather than opinions based upon
user needs.

>>> What kind of testing are we talking about.  Certainly not a CTS ;-)
>>> Again, by transitivity, if the big ones run, the little ones should too.
>>>  This should be a relatively small obstacle IMHO.
>> Server starts, you can deploy web apps, the apps work, and the server
>> can be stopped... Something along those lines. Agreed that this is
>> small, but do you agree it's a must-have?
>>

> Yep...was just commenting on the criticality level ;-)

Agreed here as well.  It sounds like a lot of our users are using
minimal so we want to make sure we don't break them.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hey Jeff,
Thanks for the comments. Followups below...

--kevan

On Jul 13, 2007, at 9:24 AM, Jeff Genender wrote:

> Kevan Miller wrote:
>> 1. Certification. For M6 we certified a Tomcat/CXF configuration of
>> Geronimo. We'd like to certify 2.0 using Jetty and Axis2, also. What
>> configuration combinations *must* be certified? Is a single certified
>> configuration sufficient? Or do we want to certify with multiple
>> configurations? In an ideal world, I think we'd certify all 4
>> combinations of Web Container and Web Services implementations.
>> What's
>> our must have set? From discussions to date, it seems to be Tomcat/
>> Axis2
>> and Jetty/CXF. However, are we willing to delay a 2.0 release
>> until both
>> configurations are certified?
>
> But what kind of a delay are we really looking at?  If Axis certifies
> with Tomcat, and Jetty certifies with CXF, by the rules of
> transitivity,
> there is a pretty good chance Tomcat/CXF and Jetty/Axis will certify
> just as easily.  If we are not up for releasing 4 (which IMHO is not a
> big deal), then we really need to monitor the lists for what
> configurations users want.  Religious wars abound on web service
> containers just as fiercely as the servlet containers do.  Why not
> consider a quad release for 2.0 and see if it was painful/painless to
> run 4 certification runs?  Based on the pain threshold, let the
> download
> count decide at the end of the day for what are default builds?

We don't know what (if any) delay that we're looking at. To date, our
discussions have been that we'll certify both Tomcat/Axis *AND* Jetty/
CXF. That's a perfectly valid plan. As you point out, there's a
decent chance that the alternate permutations are compliant as well,
and we have a certification testing overhead. However, what if some
permutations are not compliant? What if one or more technologies are
not compliant in any permutation? Do we delay release? Or release
with a subset of compliant configurations?

So, our meets-max criteria is certify all permutations of web
container and web services technologies. What's meets-min? If we're
delaying making a decision on our meets-min criteria, then lets say
we'll make this decision at some future date.

With regards to what assemblies do we make available? I like your
idea of making it easy to switch web services technologies. Continue
to deliver Tomcat and Jetty assemblies. The Tomcat assembly defaults
to Axis2 for the Web Services implementation. The Jetty assembly
defaults to CXF. However, by editing the config.xml, either assembly
can be configured to use the alternate Web Services implementation.

> As a side note (because I know it will be brought up), I do not
> think we
> are going down a slippery slope regarding certifying *any*
> configuration, and I think we are hitting just the major religious
> tones.

Agreed.

>> 2. Fit and Finish. The "must-have" list would include Release Notes,
>> appropriately licensed source files, and up-to-date license and
>> notice
>> files. Other "Fit-and-Finish" items have been proposed. All are good
>> ideas. However, in my book, they fall into the "nice-to-have"
>> category
>> and are included below. I'd like to be careful with this category.
>> Otherwise, we end up with an always shifting target
>
> +1
>

>> 3. Additional Features. With Gianni's latest WADI updates, I believe
>> that people are happy with the current set of functionality. Now
>> would
>> be a really good time to voice any disagreements. ;-) This also
>> implies
>> that we should be careful about starting new function development on
>> trunk. Also begs the question of when we move "2.0" off of trunk and
>> into a branch... I know some people are holding off new function
>> until
>> 2.0 has been branched.
>
> +1
>

>> 4. Bug Fixes. Recent testing with DayTrader has identified several
>> deployment and memory-related problems which seem to fall into the
>> must-fix category. David J had a problem with manifest classpaths
>> that
>> he was fixing. If we have other must-fix bugs, we should call them
>> out
>> now. Naturally new must-fix problems may be raised prior to release.
>> However, we should avoid last minute surprises.
>>

> +1
>
>> 5. Dependencies. A number of our dependencies are SNAPSHOT
>> dependencies.
>> Many of these projects have or are in the process of being released.
>> Very difficult/impossible to get *all* projects lined up on a release
>> train. Also, likely that we'll have to Geronimo specific builds of
>> some
>> projects (e.g. Tomcat).
>
> Those that are SNAPSHOT will need a good prodding and we should
> probably
> begin that process now.

That process has already begun.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 21, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> We've gone through the CTS grind and came out victorious http://
> java.sun.com/javaee/overview/compatibility.jsp
>
> OpenEJB has moved to TopLevel and CXF has certified and Axis 2 is
> working that way too.
>
> All in all its been an excellent six months.
>
> So, what are we going to do for 2.0 and getting it out the door?
>
> Here are my thoughts and we can use this thread to gather everyone
> else's and come to a consensus.
>
> 2.0 Ship Criteria
> Date:  mid to end of July (a target only...depends on content)
>
> Certified Assemblies
> Tomcat, Axis 2 and OpenJPA
> Jetty, CXF and OpenJPA
>
> Other assemblies would be the minimal assemblies but cert doesn't
> apply to them.
>
> Work on fit and finish stuff (cleaning up error messages, improving
> diagnostics, reducing footprint).
>
> Personally, I'd like to see the full G have a footprint of about
> 40MB (that's a little over 5MB larger than 1.1.1) and Minimal be
> around 20MB.  Need to do some research on this (volunteers?)
>
> I'm not sure how the WADI clustering presents itself across the two
> different assemblies (Gianny, comments?)

Beneficial, I think, to conclude/summarize this discussion as we move
forward to finalizing release plans and dates. Since I'm introducing
some potentially "new" categorizations, I'm not calling this a
summary, yet...

In release discussions, like this, I'd like to see us be a little
clearer with regard to our "must-haves" and "nice-to-haves". In that
regard, the following is my evaluation of the criteria that we've
been discussing:

Must-Haves

Posted by Hernan Cunico <hc...@gmail.com>.
We have done that in the past and then put it back again. IIRC the ldap bits were under 1 mb.

Cheers!
Hernan

Posted by Donald Woods <dw...@apache.org>.

Posted by "Jay D. McHugh" <ja...@joyfulnoisewebdesign.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0 Release Criteria

Posted by Kevan Miller <ke...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 21, 2007, at 12:34 PM, Matt Hogstrom wrote:

> We've gone through the CTS grind and came out victorious http://
> java.sun.com/javaee/overview/compatibility.jsp
>
> OpenEJB has moved to TopLevel and CXF has certified and Axis 2 is
> working that way too.
>
> All in all its been an excellent six months.
>
> So, what are we going to do for 2.0 and getting it out the door?
>
> Here are my thoughts and we can use this thread to gather everyone
> else's and come to a consensus.
>
> 2.0 Ship Criteria
> Date:  mid to end of July (a target only...depends on content)
>
> Certified Assemblies
> Tomcat, Axis 2 and OpenJPA
> Jetty, CXF and OpenJPA

Seems reasonable. I think it's a good idea to run tests of alternate
combinations of web container and web services implementations. We
don't need to to commit to certifying the 2 additional
configurations. However, I think we'll benefit by keeping ourselves
honest...

> Other assemblies would be the minimal assemblies but cert doesn't
> apply to them.
>
> Work on fit and finish stuff (cleaning up error messages, improving
> diagnostics, reducing footprint).

One mandatory fit-and-finish item is a thorough review (and update)
of our license/notice files. Jacek already noted that our disclaimers
were out-of-date.

> Personally, I'd like to see the full G have a footprint of about
> 40MB (that's a little over 5MB larger than 1.1.1) and Minimal be
> around 20MB.  Need to do some research on this (volunteers?)

My unpacked geronimo 1.1.1 jetty server is 41 megs. 2.0-SNAPSHOT
unpacked is 73 megs. Would like to see the 2.0 size reduced. No way
that it'll be brought down to a 5 meg delta. Let's get an analysis of
where our growth is coming from. Then see what we think a reasonable
target is...

--kevan