Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org> on 2012/10/01 18:15:19 UTC

Notes from the Oak Hackathon Berlin September 25th

Hi,

As promised [1] a short follow up on the Oak Hackathon we held in Berlin
last Monday.

The Hackathon was quite a success even though not too much hacking has
actually taken place. Half of the roughly 10 attendees where new to the
project so we decided to turn this more into an intro session. Jukka and
Michael gave a preview on their Oak presentation for .adaptTo 2012 [2]
and Jukka went through some coding examples showing how to write a
custom commit hook for Oak. The code examples will become part of the
NodeState model documentation [3].

As we seemed to agree that repeating such an event would be a good
thing, I would like to find out about the modalities: How long should
such an event be? I figured a single day is a bit short and would make
it rather two days. Possible future dates for meeting up would be at
ApacheCon EU (November 5th - 9th) in Sinsheim, Germany or between
November 19th and 23rd in Basel, Switzerland. Let me know about other
options/preferences/opinions. When we have a rough idea on how to go
about we can proceed with the details.

Michael

[1] http://markmail.org/message/qh2mgfkwbqri2vgp
[2]
https://docs.google.com/presentation/pub?id=1Au_l3bQ2XEhM4nZ9fftOz8MuBcnhDguW3so_QcrxlMw&start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000
[3] https://github.com/apache/jackrabbit-oak/blob/trunk/doc/nodestate.md

Re: Notes from the Oak Hackathon Berlin September 25th

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On 4.10.12 10:19, Unico Hommes wrote:
>>  From what I've read/heard we seem to converge towards something like this:
>> >
>> >November: Informal Hackathon @ ApacheCon
>> >Early next year: Hackathon in Basel
>> >Later next year: Hackathon in Amsterdam
>> >
> I like this. I won't be at ApacheCon but want to continue to join the Oak
> Hackathons. Also in favor of making it a two day event. Count me in.

I won't be at ApacheCon myself neither but I just had a quick chat with
Jukka and he agreed to make this happen. So I suggest we get this going
by starting a new thread for collecting topics/ideas/wishes for this
meet up.

Michael

Re: Notes from the Oak Hackathon Berlin September 25th

Posted by Unico Hommes <un...@apache.org>.

--
Unico

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.
Hi Bart,

On 2.10.12 16:52, Bart van der Schans wrote:

> I do agree that one day is rather short so probably two days would be
> better. Ate and me will be at the ApacheCon (I'm not sure yet about
> Unico and Ard) so we could have a (informal?) meeting/hacking session
> there.  November 19th to 23th might be too close to the ApacheCon for
> me.

I won't make it to the ApacheCon, but Jukka is there AFAIK.

> If people like to visit Amsterdam we can also do a hackathon at our
> office in Amsterdam after the one in Basel ;-)

Sounds good!

 From what I've read/heard we seem to converge towards something like this:

Posted by Bart van der Schans <b....@onehippo.com>.
Hi Michael,

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 6:15 PM, Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As promised [1] a short follow up on the Oak Hackathon we held in Berlin
> last Monday.
>
> The Hackathon was quite a success even though not too much hacking has
> actually taken place. Half of the roughly 10 attendees where new to the
> project so we decided to turn this more into an intro session. Jukka and
> Michael gave a preview on their Oak presentation for .adaptTo 2012 [2] and
> Jukka went through some coding examples showing how to write a custom commit
> hook for Oak. The code examples will become part of the NodeState model
> documentation [3].

Thanks for the update. I really enjoyed the presentation and
discussions. And of course the code walkthrough!

Posted by Bart van der Schans <b....@onehippo.com>.
Hi Michael,