Posted to issues@maven.apache.org by Karl-Philipp Richter <kr...@aol.de> on 2013/06/15 17:28:09 UTC

dependency:build-classpath ignores outputFile parameter

Hi together,
I'm new to maven mailing list. I've encountered an issue regarding the
dependency plugin and hope this is the right place to publish it.
When invoking
<code>
dependency:build-classpath -DoutputFile=/tmp/somefile
</code>
there's no output in the file. If it doesn't exists it isn't created.
Issue encountered in version 3.0.4 and 3.1.0-alpha-1
(c726cdd3a9ad5c3a419e1171f8c1925e336ead18; 2013-06-01 15:03:28+0200).
I've no idea (after almost 1 hour search) how to get the version of the
dependency plugin.
Thanks in advance for taking care about this.

Re: dependency:build-classpath ignores outputFile parameter

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Hi,

The Maven Issues List is used by JIRA to notify us when new issues are
created or modified.
The Maven User List would have been the appropriate list to ask this
question.

Now the answer to your question: see
http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-dependency-plugin/build-classpath-mojo.html#outputFile

The name of the parameter can be used within the configuration-block of a
plugin in the pom.xml
<configuration>
   <outputFile>/tmp/somefile</outputFile>
</configuration>

However, if you want to set it through the commandline, you have to look
if there's a *user property* defined.
In this case it: mdep.outputFile
Sometimes the parameter and the user property have the same name, but that
cause issues if different parameters use the same parametername.

So if you use
dependency:build-classpath -Dmdep.outputFile=/tmp/somefile
it'll work.

Robert

ps. Older pages describe user properties as expression, e.g.
Expression: ${mdep.outputFile}