Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Eugene Kirpichov <ki...@google.com> on 2018/02/13 19:49:45 UTC

Add Errorprone to build process?

Filed https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-3697

This seems to be a good task for a new contributor, easy and potentially
with high payoff (uncovering bugs), and a good way to become cursorily
familiar with diverse parts of the codebase by fixing the bugs it finds.

Any takers?

http://errorprone.info/ is a good static checker that covers a number of
bugs not covered by FindBugs or Checkstyle. We use it internally at Google
and, when run on the Beam codebase, it occasionally uncovers issues missed
during PR review process.

It has Maven and Gradle plugins:
http://errorprone.info/docs/installation
https://github.com/tbroyer/gradle-errorprone-plugin

It would be good to integrate it into our Maven and Gradle builds.

Re: Add Errorprone to build process?

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com>.
For findbugs we suppressed ~everything and filed bugs, so that might also
be a way to get started to get errorprone on the main build.

Another framework worth looking at is the Checker framework, which has
analysis mathematically proven to always prevent all NPEs. So that would
replace the most important (IMO) use of findbugs with greater rigor. (it is
actually not about specifically NPEs being a big danger, but about
elevating the level of our code to "no NPEs possible" style, as it is more
readable, maintainable, flexible)

Kenn

Posted by Ismaël Mejía <ie...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eugene Kirpichov <ki...@google.com>.