Posted to user@ctakes.apache.org by "Baas,Leah" <Le...@SanfordHealth.org> on 2019/01/31 16:43:51 UTC

cTAKES heuristic for memory/CPU allocation

Hi everyone,

I’m setting up a new VM to process ~13,500 files using the cTAKES default clinical pipeline. Looking for a good heuristic for RAM/CPU allocation. Can cTAKES take advantage of multiple CPUs? Or is it designed only to utilize a single thread?

Thanks for the help.

Leah
privileged and confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use,
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy
all copies of the original message.

Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: cTAKES heuristic for memory/CPU allocation

Posted by "Baas,Leah" <Le...@SanfordHealth.org>.
Thanks a lot, Mike!

Leah

From: Michael Trepanier <mi...@metistream.com>
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 11:44 AM
To: "user@ctakes.apache.org" <us...@ctakes.apache.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: cTAKES heuristic for memory/CPU allocation

The cTAKES Default Processing Pipeline requires about a minimum of 3G of RAM due to the size of the embedded HSQLDBs (that is the default). However, providing a fair bit of overhead is generally a good idea.

As for multi-threading, I have been using the ThreadSafeLvg class. Per the component-use guide:

"cTAKES was not originally designed to be thread safe.

If you would like to experiment with making it thread safe, see class ThreadSafeLvg in ctakes-lvg."

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/CTAKES/cTAKES+4.0+Component+Use+Guide

Mike

--
[etiStream Logo - 500]
Mike Trepanier| Senior Big Data Engineer | MetiStream, Inc. |  mike@metistream.com<ma...@metistream.com> | 845 - 270 - 3129 (m) | www.metistream.com<http://www.metistream.com/>

Re: cTAKES heuristic for memory/CPU allocation

Posted by Michael Trepanier <mi...@metistream.com>.

wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>

> I’m setting up a new VM to process ~13,500 files using the cTAKES default
> clinical pipeline. Looking for a good heuristic for RAM/CPU allocation. Can
> cTAKES take advantage of multiple CPUs? Or is it designed only to utilize a
> single thread?
>

> Thanks for the help.
>

> Leah

> Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments,
> privileged and confidential information.  Any unauthorized review, use,
> disclosure or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the intended
> recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy
> all copies of the original message.

--
[image: MetiStream Logo - 500]
Mike Trepanier| Senior Big Data Engineer | MetiStream, Inc. |