Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Raf Roger <ra...@gmail.com> on 2012/12/11 00:14:47 UTC

CATALINA_OPTS under windows 7

Hi,

i need to setup CATALINA_OPTS environment variable under windows 7.
I read that in directory *tomcatDir/bin/* should be a file named setenv.bat
for Windows in which i could define the  CATALINA_OPTS environment variable.

However after a fresh installation of Tomcat 7.0.33 i discovered that such
file doesn't exist.
is it normal ?

can i just create it ?
what should i take care to make it correctly ?
thx.

--
Alain
Windows 7 x64 / Fedora 17 x64

Re: CATALINA_OPTS under windows 7

Posted by "Howard W. Smith, Jr." <sm...@gmail.com>.
Are you trying to run tomcat7 as a Windows Service?

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@vmware.com>.
On Dec 10, 2012, at 6:14 PM, Raf Roger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> i need to setup CATALINA_OPTS environment variable under windows 7.
> I read that in directory *tomcatDir/bin/* should be a file named setenv.bat
> for Windows in which i could define the  CATALINA_OPTS environment variable.
>
> However after a fresh installation of Tomcat 7.0.33 i discovered that such
> file doesn't exist.
> is it normal ?

This is normal and intentional.

> can i just create it ?

Yes, you should create the file.

> what should i take care to make it correctly ?

You can use any text editor to create the file.  Make sure that it is syntactically a valid Window batch script.  Most of the time, you would just set environment variables in this file.

For example:

  set JAVA_HOME=C:\path\to\java\home
  set CATALINA_OPTS=-Xmx2G -Xss256k

As a note, you only want to use the setenv.bat file if you are running Tomcat from the console (something that is done rarely).  In most  cases, you'll be running as a Windows Service.  If you are running as a Windows Service then you don't want to use setenv.bat.  Instead, you'll want to use the Tomcat GUI application to make configuration changes.

  https://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-7.0-doc/windows-service-howto.html#Tomcat7w_monitor_application
  https://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Windows#Q11

Dan