Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> on 2006/03/07 23:17:58 UTC

Making the current web site suck less

Ok, something more practical right now. I'd meant to bring it up at the
same time as my other mail, but thanks to Jesse for reminding me.

I'm embarrassed to say that the front page looks a whole lot like the
one I created about this time last year for 2.0 alpha 1. I think it
needs an update. IMO, the front page should be:

* an introduction
* an explanation of what all the links on the left are
* where to find information
* quick links like the download box
* have news, but not be the primary focus of the page
* above all, brief.

What do others think?

I think we need to revisit the navigation too. We have a couple of rogue
elements and its a bit hard to see anything. We especially need to stop
the titles wrapping.

I'd propose:

Get Maven
    * Download
    * Release Notes

About Maven
    * What is Maven?
    * Features
    * Powered By

Documentation
    * Getting Started
    * User Guide
    * Where is it?
    * Plugin Reference

Reference
    * API Reference
    * Source Code XRef

IDE Integration
    * Eclipse Extension
    * Netbeans Module

Contributing
    * How to Help
    * User contributed FAQ
    * FAQ for Other Projects (rename this)

Other things:
* I think the FAQ structure should be revised. They are really old too.
Maybe one master FAQ for "things to know about the maven project" rather
than technical questions, then push detailed FAQs into sections of the
documentation

* The documentation is a big list of links. I think we should categorise
them by topic instead of type, or perhaps as Jesse suggests we should
have a cross reference/index - so we could have a page that lists all
the howtos and guides, then another that lists the docs related to
artifacts, plugins, etc.

* I'm still a little torn on where plugin docs go. No hurry on this, but
something to ponder. We definitely need to make the references for those
integrate better. Site/skin inheritance will help

* Need to make the other updates regarding reference material/dev
subsite that I proposed separately. I think everyone is sick of my
mails, so I'll JFDI after 2.0.3 :)

* Need to apply same principles to other subsites (Continuum, etc).

- Brett

Re: Making the current web site suck less

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Tim O'Brien wrote:
> Something to think about is maybe not having the initial Maven page be a
> Maven site.  ASF sites in general seems to be more Developer focused than
> user focused.  What if the initial Maven site were more like the front pages
> of Mozilla or Rails.  An attractive logo, links to resources and materials,
> an introduction.  The home page should be user focused, Maven developers are
> a minority of the audience here.

I had a proposal for the initial page in the very first mail in the
thread and got no feedback. Any chance you could comment on that since
it has specifics?

Here it is again:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/200603.mbox/%3C440E0696.9090604@apache.org%3E

Posted by Piéroni Raphaël <ra...@gmail.com>.
I'm sorry,
I don't know what to say to the jira issue

As you know i'm a bit new to open source processes.
I never released the freeform plugin because i don't know how.

Regards,

Raphaël

Posted by Raphaël Piéroni <ra...@gmail.com>.
Done

http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-2143

Raphaël

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Piéroni Raphaël <ra...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Brian K. Wallace wrote:
> Then there's the content debate... "Getting Started" with Maven goes on
> _forever_. To get started?!? And that's entirely outside the scope of
> the documentation link (which doesn't quite go on forever - just links
> forever). And the first link on documentation? Getting Started. [and NO,
> I'm not saying there's too much documentation now ;-)]

I couldn't agree more. My original getting started guide was much
shorter. I think it needs to be chopped up. It needs to be a "10 minute
test" (which I timed myself on the original one and I could read and
step through in 5 minutes, so I figured those that hadn't encountered it
before had a good chance of doing it in 10).

Let's get this request into JIRA.

- Brett
=

Re: Making the current web site suck less

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.
On 3/9/06, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:

> Tim O'Brien wrote:
> >  I read your response, clicked on the Geronimo site, and wanted to
> believe
> > that that was possible with Maven.  But, if you look at
> > https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/site/
> >
> > It's either Maven 1.x or Ant the directory contains a v3 POM, but it
> also
> > contains an .  The NOTES.txt begins "Download Ant from
> http://ant.apache.org".
> >

> It's not, but it's entirely possible with the current SVN version of the
> site plugin and is where I want it to go. It's just a replacement
> velocity template.
>
> I didn't understand your point about the structure of the XHTML in your
> blog. It should be reasonably flexible for CSS based layout, and in the
> event you need something different you can fall back to the packaged up
> velocity template.
>
> - Brett

What I mean by this.  Point a graphics desiger at a Maven site - make this
site look great with CSS.  I think you'll find that the graphic designer is
going to request so many changes to structure it would almost be easier for
an organization to just fork and customize the site plugin rather than deal
with what is produced.    I would agree that Maven provides a reasonable
amount of flexibility, but I guess I have yet to see a Maven site that
doesn't look like a Maven site.  Maybe we need a site that customizes the
CSS to show people what is possible.  A Zen Garden for Maven.

Tim

Re: Making the current web site suck less

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Thanks for attempting this.

Posted by Piéroni Raphaël <ra...@gmail.com>.
missing :

Languages
-guides
- plugins (c#, aspectj)

Deployment
- guides
- plugins (jboss, tomcat)

Test
- guides
- plugins (surefire, cargo)

Continuous integration
- guides

Packaging
- guides
- plugins

and also some doco that do not fit into the guide/plugins separation like
getting started, references of pom and settings,...

Regards Raphaël

Posted by Piéroni Raphaël <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

It uses anakia to transform, but in true Maven spirit it should be able
to be done - with a plugin. ;-) And maybe maven-site is suited to it
just fine (not a maven-site expert for user sites AT ALL - I'm with
Jesse here that so much more 'whiz-bang' is possible with a container.
add a db and the ability to submit plugin information, have it approved
and be live, searchable by name, keyword, etc, and have paged tables for
results would do wonders in my eyes) and all that needs to be done is
"enhance the plugin" and change the site source and sprinkle generously
with css.

My main point was content geared, though. As a user of a project, there
are usually about 4 main links I look for:
  1. Documentation - tell me why it fits or won't fit my needs and how
to get my job done. If you've got layers/levels of documentation, break
it down in there.
  2. Download - Okay. If I hadn't heard by word of mouth, I found out in
the documentation why it's great. Let me get it. Have different
versions? I should be able to find them all on the Download page, right?
  3. Plugins/Extensions - The project is great, but aside from doing
nothing I need to be able to so other stuff. What's out there that I can
use? Consider Plugins/Extensions as cyclic to the main page. Give me
documentation. Give me a way to download it. If you can 'extend' it,
tell me what extensions there are for it. Then give me a way to find help.
  4. Support - "HELP! My boss is standing over my shoulder and this
thing isn't working!!!" (nevermind that I skipped that part of the docs,
where's the support?) Mailing Lists? It's in there. Forum? It's in
there. Wiki? It's in there.

What I see on the Maven site is:
  Features - sounds like boasts, but that's what projects do, right?
Start with #1: "Simple project setup that follows best practices - get a
new project or module started in seconds". Leads me to the "Getting
Started" link which is a mile long. Somewhere in there my reading skills
must have drastically improved to be able to read all that "getting
started" material and still get a project started in seconds.
  A user FAQ that has a lot of "we need more information" answers
  Where is it - Where's Maven? Nope. Short page with links to maven
structures - pretty long pages, too; and mailing list archives?
  Specific Plugin references and a single "Reference" link that takes me
inside 'current' and looks nothing like anything else on the main page.
  About Maven 2.0 - Wait - I'm on the maven site and the first I see on
the main page about a "Maven 2" is half way down the nav on the left -
or up on the top right. But the top right has Maven, Maven 1.x, and
Maven 2.x. Why this hooplah about Maven 2 and users of Maven 1? I'm not
here for either of those - I'm here for Maven. On the bright side,
there's a FAQ under this section that's really a FAQ.
  Powered By - I view this as a selling point to a small extent, but the
resulting page is pretty... lame? [why must there always be at least one
page with "work in progress" on it?]
  FAQ for Other Projects: Huh? Does this sound like the place to find a
FAQ on Drupal? Spring, maybe? Ohhhhh...... nope. Don't get it. Not on
the main page.
  And the dreaded "Project Documentation" section. Nice for developers.
More than a little meaningless to users by and large. And to make
matters worse in this instance, it's project documentation for
maven-site - a Maven plugin! How confusing is that?!?

  These are points I see from a 'user' point of view of the site.
There's a LOT of information on the site - some has to be 'fixed' or
'finished' or 'redone', but there's a lot there. And there needs to be
more - too many things about Maven are "plugin specific" and not
documented for users to understand. But if it's not organized, it'll
still be next to useless for a user to understand.

  Could this be done with Maven itself and a plugin (be it maven-site or
something else)? Well... if Maven can do everything else it does, I
don't see why not. (not as easily as other ways, perhaps... but still
possible)

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Re: Making the current web site suck less

Posted by Jesse Kuhnert <jk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Tim,

did anything ever come of this?

- Brett

Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>
Apache Maven - http://maven.apache.org/
Better Builds with Maven - http://library.mergere.com/

Re: Making the current web site suck less

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.
Brett,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Tim,

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Tim O'Brien wrote:
> And again, I think that the "Maven site" should be a lot more like a
> community site that aggregates blogs, lists articles, news items.  In the
> absence of a runtime container uses some Javscript to display RSS feeds of
> the last 10 user posts.

I don't know about making the primary site just this, but I think it
would be a great addition. We made a small step with mavenblogs.com but
never really got it properly integrated. I recently suggested we grab
the planet software and put up a separate site for this as a start.

It's always just been a matter of available time.

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.
On 3/9/06, John Casey <jd...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> <snip/>
>
> I agree with you on that point. My point was that physical separation of
> the websites might not be appropriate or necessary, since IMO every ASF
> project that releases a product (not an API) should apply this advice,
> and therefore should have a user-driven aspect, behind which lurks a
> developer-driven section, one click away. The developer pages don't have
> to invade the landing page, but there should be a link (to elsewhere on
> the same physical web site).

Sure.  maybe the same physical web site maybe a different one.  The
Developer and User sites might share a color scheme and a logo, but they
should be able to have completely different structure.   completely
different layout, different context, etc.    I'm convinced Maven needs a
focused documentation project.  I'm not convinced that it makes sense to
house that project within the foundation.  That's what drives my suggestion
about a Maven user site being totally separate from a developer site.

Here's where I think we miss.  In the absence of a Maven plugin that creates
a site that a designer can really control, can really customize.  That has
DIV structure and CSS that a designer can be happy with, we probably won't
enable people to get to the point where they can apply a good design to a
Maven site.

> >> It's not a simple hierarchy, but then, we have a great deal of
> variation
> >> among our audience members. As these audience members [possibly]
> >> transition from users to contributors and so on, we don't want a
> >> separation like this to get in their way...there should be *some*
> >> cohesiveness, I would think...
> >

> See my comments above. Again, this isn't about merging the developer and
> user communities, forcing them to read the same webpages and filter the
> content that pertains to them. It's about whether we want to move toward
> uniting all of the Maven project content to make it look like part of
> the same site, albeit in different sections. I can't think of very many
> people who might disagree that our site needs some organizational help,
> and a heavy-ish touch of user-friendliness.

And again, I think that the "Maven site" should be a lot more like a
community site that aggregates blogs, lists articles, news items.  In the
absence of a runtime container uses some Javscript to display RSS feeds of
the last 10 user posts.

Look around at Sourceforge sometime, and see how many of the non-Maven
> sites out there are well-designed.

The medocrity of the average shouldn't be the argument here.  If Maven
intends to revolutionize the way people approach software projects.   It
should strive to solve this problem as elegantly as it solves dependency
management.

Re: Making the current web site suck less

Posted by John Casey <jd...@yahoo.com>.

Tim O'Brien wrote:
> [...]

> "Project Team" report (http://maven.apache.org/team-list.html) that doesn't
> list have of the people involved in Maven.  Did you know there are no
> contributors to the Maven project and that there are only 8 people working
> on Maven"?   For some reason, I know what the "Actual Time" is for all the
> people on the project team down to the second (I've never figured the need
> for that field out), but good luck customizing the team-list support. :-)
> Here's another good one, click on a Guide, then click on the banner logo.
> That links back to /guide, click on the same banner logo, that links back to
> the home page.   The Maven site is full of these inconsistencies, and it's
> not something that people can just fix with patches.  IMO, the site plugin
> needs serious rework.  It doesn't create good web sites, especially

If you think that developers don't make good documentation authors, try
having them design the look and feel of a website. I've worked in jobs
where these activities are separated (site design vs.
application/product work..hell, sit design vs. site implementation,
even), and believe me, these things require very different skills. If
you accept that developers don't do well at documenting their products -
though we all agree, they should still do their best - then I don't see
how you can say that we should all be good site designers.

It's important to note here that the site plugin and associated report
plugins don't generate the majority of the content that a site needs.
They don't generate user documentation at all, for instance. They only
translate the formats of the user documentation, if there is any. If you
have concerns about the user's experience and not the developer's, then
discussion about the generated reports would seem a bit lower priority IMO.

> I guess I've just pissed off the Maven development team by telling all of
> you that Maven doesn't do a good job of creating web sites for
> users.

You're not surprising anyone with this. However, note the comment above
about separating site design from report generation.

There, I said it.  Maven creates so-so web sites for developers, but
> doesn't do a good job creating web sites for end-users.  Maybe that was
> never the goal.

It's not the goal of the reports. Reports are meant to support
developers, which is why they generate javadocs, source
cross-references, team/contributor information, etc. instead of things
that would help a user to use the product.

Maybe I should just shut up and write the
> maven-end-user-site plugin?  But, it's one reason why I didn't get too
> exctied about contributing to the site last year.  I don't think another 100
> APT documents are the right direction, I think you need to think long and
> hard about the audience, and I think someone other than Hani Sulemani needs
> to say "Maven sites suck"   :-)  The fact that one of the core committers
> for Maven, had to send out an email entitled "Making the current web site
> suck less", is not a good sell for generating sites with Maven.

Again, I think you're confusing document transcoding and report
generation with site design. These are very different activities. I
agree that 10,000,000 APT documents with a HTTPd-generated index page
isn't very useful...just like a bad site design isn't too useful.
However, that's not what the site plugin does. It doesn't design your
site, it only translates the documentation and layout you give it, along
with generating some developer reports.

Look around at Sourceforge sometime, and see how many of the non-Maven
sites out there are well-designed.

Regards,

John

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.

Posted by John Casey <jd...@yahoo.com>.
Comments inline.

-john

Tim O'Brien wrote:
> Sorry, gmail confused me and I sent that last one by mistake John.
>
> I don't think you'll be trading look and feel here.  I think you'd just be
> doing something like making the site.xml for trunk point to a logo or banner
> GIF that just added a "trunk", "draft", or "development" stamp.  If this was
> done correctly, i think you could add it to the banner graphic in an
> attractive way.

agreed.

> But, it brings up some questions:
>
> 1. Would every minor release get a separate site?  Or are we just talking
> about major releases?  In other words, is there a 2.x site, or is there a
> 2.0.2 site?    (My vote is for a 2.x site.)

I'd say that since the feature set for minor releases should be stable,
there shouldn't be much reason to have separate web sites for each. The
documentation (for the most part) shouldn't address pending bugs, or if
it does, it should be updated when the next minor release comes out (as
in the case of a documented work-around).

Posted by Piéroni Raphaël <ra...@gmail.com>.
2006/3/8, Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>:

> The problem will be also with reports.
> Do we need all reports for all releases ?
> Documentation reports like javadoc, jxr, are needed for each release.
> But is it useful for quality reports (pmd, simian, linkcheck, ...) ? These
> reports are useful for the development team to improve their code. But for
> the end user ???

For the end user it is an example of the reports that could be done.

The first time (maven1) when i saw new reports, i had tried to use them in
my project

Therefore, checkstyle, javancss, coverage have been used by me because i saw
them used by maven.

Raphaël

Re: Making the current web site suck less

Posted by Arnaud HERITIER <ah...@gmail.com>.
The problem will be also with reports.
Do we need all reports for all releases ?
Documentation reports like javadoc, jxr, are needed for each release.
But is it useful for quality reports (pmd, simian, linkcheck, ...) ? These
reports are useful for the development team to improve their code. But for
the end user ???

Arnaud

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.
Right, I think confusion is a good word.  I approach Maven as an end-user
most often, and if I need to dive into a plugin source to finally figure out
how it works I do.  But, I've had the displeasure of

Posted by John Casey <jd...@yahoo.com>.
+1

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.
That separates the core site, but there is still a two issues, and,
unfortunately, I'm not sure if there is an easy way to address it.

First, it is easy to publish specific versions of projects to different
directories.  But, the Maven documentation consists of a bunch of related
sites.  I think the main challenge is Maven plug-in sites and making sure
that all external links from one version of Maven link to the appropriate
version of another site.  Here's where it would be helpful to be able to
provide URL prefixes for outbound links.  Instead of linking to a specific
URL.

Second, (and correct me if I'm wrong), a Maven "version" is just a String.
There is no concept in a the POM of a Major vs. a Minor release.  So,
although there's seems to be agreement that it doesn't make much sense to
publish a new version of the site for each minor revision, that might not be
possible without adding that concept to Maven (unlikely) or just coding
/ref/2 for a 2.x version instead of using the logic.  So while the
replacement logic you have for core is good, it would create a new Maven
site for each minor version release.  Maybe that's OK?

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
We already have that in place for the core, the site url is
maven.apache.org/ref/${project.version}/
see http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/maven/components/trunk/pom.xml?rev=382904&view=markup

We're missing the continuous integration part to auto deploy site
everytime it's changed

On 3/8/06, Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com> wrote:
> Having to choose between publishing the latest and greatest docs and only
> the released version is a problem that Maven seems to have created for
> itself.  Same issue comes up in other projects frequently - Commons has a
> problem because some of the sites only publish on a release.  Latest and
> greatest are almost never there.
>
> What about publishing the latest and greatest docs to another directory?
> The Maven site gets pushed to a directory that has a version of a
> label.  http://maven.apache.org/version/1.0
> , http://maven.apache.org/version/2.0.2, and
> http://maven.apache.org/version/trunk.  This way the Maven site can have a
> nightly publish of the most current Maven site to Trunk every single day,
> but still keep legacy docs around intact for people using older versions of
> the product.  The "consumer" site can point to the latest release, and the
> "developer" site can point to "trunk".  The Maven site plugin would need
> some mechanism for adding a skin to a site to clearly identify it as
> "Development".
>

> On 3/7/06, Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 3/7/06, Brett Porter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> > > * I'm still a little torn on where plugin docs go. No hurry on this, but
> >
> > > something to ponder. We definitely need to make the references for those
> > > integrate better. Site/skin inheritance will help
> >
> > No matter where they go, I think they need to be updated more often.
> > Random example... the assembly plugin docs are wrong, and have been
> > that way for months. (it's descriptorId, not
> > maven.assembly.descriptorId.)
> > * http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-assembly-plugin/howto.html
> >
> > I would like to see the "latest and greatest" docs on the main site.
> > Yes, they'll be ahead of the released version, but not by much, and
> > (hopefully) not for long.When the answer to a lot of "X doesn't work"
> > questions is "It's fixed in the trunk, use a snapshot," it would be
> > nice to have the snapshot docs available in a centralized place.
> >
> > This also makes it more fun to contribute to the documentation,
> > because you get to see your work "in print" right away.
> >
> > Thanks for updating the main site. :)
> >
> > --
> > Wendy

I could give you my word as a Spaniard.
No good. I've known too many Spaniards.
                             -- The Princess Bride

Re: Making the current web site suck less

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Please review:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/200602.mbox/%3C43E97D27.8080900@apache.org%3E

And provide feedback.

Closely related to:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/maven-dev/200602.mbox/%3C43E96733.5070309@apache.org%3E

These have been kicking around since early January and I haven't
received feedback yet, but they are proposals that should address
exactly this.

- Brett

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Good to see discussion on this. I'll choose more controversial topics
next time, because I've already discussed this with myself at length on
this list.

As I've said recently, I'm just waiting for 2.0.3 to my plan into action.

- Brett

Posted by Lukas Theussl <lt...@apache.org>.
I think that's a good idea. In m1 we are already using the
maven.site.stage.address property to publish sites more frequently to
our personal pages (eg [1]) and I refer people to this site
occasionally. This has the obvious drawback that the
'latest-and-greatest' docs for different plugins are always on different
people's pages. I could imagine something like
http://maven.apache.org/maven-1.x/stage-site/ where the whole m1 site is
replicated but with more up-to date pages, and the main site only gets
updated for releases or documentation bug fixes.

-Lukas

[1]
http://people.apache.org/~ltheussl/maven-stage-site/maven-1.x/reference/plugins/

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.
that becomes an epic adventure, close to none of the methods/classes
have a usable javadoc (most have none). the same applies to plugin
parameters, I always go to the plugin doc first, but then realize it's
useless and try finding stuff in the other site documentation. Also
please consider removing the "Discovered" parameters that just don't
add value but confuse (unless I missed the point entirely)

+1 on that.

Milos

Posted by Carlos Sanchez <ca...@apache.org>.
They are already there
http://maven.apache.org/ref/current/index.html

Note the new Reference link in the left menu

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Re: Making the current web site suck less

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.
On 3/7/06, Brian K. Wallace <br...@transmorphix.com> wrote:

> While I agree that it would be nice to have the 'latest and greatest'
> docs on the main site, I don't believe having them as the only
> documentation is a good idea at all. The documentation should be able to
> evolve after a release to make them better,

After it's tagged and rolled, it's done.  The docs for that release
(as in 1.0beta3) aren't going to change.  Anything that gets added or
fixed belongs to the next release.  The situation now is that if an
error in the plugin docs is found, it stays on the site until the next
release happens.

> but having documentation
> online that applies to "trunk" code and not released code tends to
> equate "bad documentation" (the docs say I can do X. "oh, that's in the
> trunk, use a snapshot").

So it's better to never even know that X was possible?  Meanwhile the
user thinks Maven is missing features and constructs a workaround, or
gives up.  If the version number showed up on the plugin docs (it used
to...) and the documentation said "since x.x" on new features, I'm
pretty sure people could figure it out.

I don't understand why visible new features and "use a snapshot"
equates to bad documentation.  I don't want to sit around perfecting
the documentation for the *last* release, I want to keep moving
forward with the latest bits.

--
Wendy

Re: Making the current web site suck less

Posted by "Brian K. Wallace" <br...@transmorphix.com>.

Re: Making the current web site suck less

Posted by Wendy Smoak <ws...@gmail.com>.