Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/10/08 18:04:05 UTC

Re: svncutter - Not planning to let the perfect be the enemy of the good

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Eric S. Raymond <es...@thyrsus.com> wrote:
> Learning that svndumptool.py exists has confused my plans for
> svncutter somewhat. My program does two things svndumptool.py doesn't,
> "squash" and "setlog". The setlog function is pretty trivial, but getting
> squash right is rather tricky. On the other hand, svndumptool.py is a much
> more general tool with dozens of interesting capabilities mine
> doesn't have.

I seem to recall that svndumptool.py does not work very well in many
situations.  If you Google it hasn't an svndumptool2 and svndumptool3
been created to solve some of the problems? (It is possible I am
confusing it with another tool).  Also, I believe that one reason I
think those tools were created is that the original author did not
respond.

If your tool does the same things and you are willing to maintain it,
then I think you should move forward.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard
http://markphip.blogspot.com/

http://subversion.tigris.org/ds/viewMessage.do?dsForumId=462&dsMessageId=2405231

Re: svncutter - Not planning to let the perfect be the enemy of the good

Posted by Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 2:04 PM, Mark Phippard <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Eric S. Raymond <es...@thyrsus.com> wrote:
>> Learning that svndumptool.py exists has confused my plans for
>> svncutter somewhat. My program does two things svndumptool.py doesn't,
>> "squash" and "setlog". The setlog function is pretty trivial, but getting
>> squash right is rather tricky. On the other hand, svndumptool.py is a much
>> more general tool with dozens of interesting capabilities mine
>> doesn't have.
>
> I seem to recall that svndumptool.py does not work very well in many
> situations.  If you Google it hasn't an svndumptool2 and svndumptool3
> been created to solve some of the problems? (It is possible I am
> confusing it with another tool).  Also, I believe that one reason I
> think those tools were created is that the original author did not
> respond.
>
> If your tool does the same things and you are willing to maintain it,
> then I think you should move forward.

Grrr!  I do not know why I sent that before Googling.  I am confusing
this tool with svndumpfilter2.  So never mind, and sorry to the
author.

--
Thanks

Mark Phippard