Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Rob Kirkbride <ro...@gmail.com> on 2007/08/08 14:01:18 UTC

MaxHTTPHeaderSize

Hi,

I've been getting a lot  MsgAjp Overflow messages recently. The strange
this is only seems to happen only 1 app server at a time and seems to
stop and start in bursts of sometimes over an hour, but then nothing for
several hours after that.
This is with Tomcat 5.5.20 and mod_jk 1.2.23.

Is it possible that it is someone trying to provoke a DOS or should I
really investigate increasing the maxhttpheadersize in server.xml and
max_http_size in Mod_jk?

Thanks for any help,

Rob

2007-08-08 08:36:47,579 ERROR [  ] [org.apache.jk.common.MsgAjp] Buffer
overflow
: buffer.len=8192 pos=259 data=20202
2007-08-08 08:36:47,580 ERROR [  ] [org.apache.jk.common.MsgAjp] Overflow
java.lang.Throwable
        at org.apache.jk.common.MsgAjp.cpBytes(MsgAjp.java:194)
        at org.apache.jk.common.MsgAjp.appendByteChunk(MsgAjp.java:168)
        at org.apache.jk.common.MsgAjp.appendBytes(MsgAjp.java:154)
        at
org.apache.jk.common.JkInputStream.appendHead(JkInputStream.java:302)
        at org.apache.jk.core.MsgContext.action(MsgContext.java:258)
        at org.apache.coyote.Response.action(Response.java:182)
        at org.apache.coyote.Response.sendHeaders(Response.java:378)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.doFlush(OutputBuffer.java:
317)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.OutputBuffer.close(OutputBuffer.java:27
8)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.Response.finishResponse(Response.java:4
76)
        at
org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.jav
a:151)

Re: MaxHTTPHeaderSize

Posted by Rob Kirkbride <ro...@gmail.com>.
Rainer,

Thanks for the comprehensive reply. We're using Apache on RHEL4. I'll try
and investigate the actual URL. It is a very busy environment (> 25 million
hits a day) so it'll take me some time to pick through.

Yes it does look like a response. I'm assuming this doesn't just mean it's a
big page. What kind of information is sent in the header? - We're not really
using cookies at the moment for instance.

Thanks

Rob

Re: MaxHTTPHeaderSize

Posted by Rainer Jung <ra...@kippdata.de>.