Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by lars <li...@sumpfralle.de> on 2005/06/25 13:52:35 UTC

broken pipe error for truncated output of svn log

Hi,

I am using subversion (1.1.4) on debian.

If I use the command "svn log | head", then the the log is followed by this error message:

svn: Write error: Broken pipe

This does not always happen, but in most cases: maybe 4 errors out of 5 tries. (with the
same repository)

Without the head-pipe there is never a warning.

Lars

Re: broken pipe error for truncated output of svn log

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On 25.06.2005, at 15:52, lars wrote:

> I am using subversion (1.1.4) on debian.
>
> If I use the command "svn log | head", then the the log is followed
> by this error message:
>
> svn: Write error: Broken pipe
>

> This does not always happen, but in most cases: maybe 4 errors out
> of 5 tries. (with the
> same repository)
>
> Without the head-pipe there is never a warning.

Same here in Subversion 1.2.0 on Mac OS X 10.4.1 (installed from
DarwinPorts). I've been assuming it just means that Subversion has
more data to deliver, but the pipe through which Subversion has been
sending the information to another process has been closed before it
was done sending, so I've just been ignoring it. But I suppose it
would be reasonable for Subversion to not show that error. I don't
know any other program that complains about this.