Posted to user@guacamole.apache.org by Mike Brown <ma...@gmail.com> on 2023/04/24 06:14:19 UTC

Proxy guacd recording

Hi all,

I’m playing with the Xorg experimental driver and omg it’s so snappy and
beautiful. I understand that the driver implements it’s own guacd, and so
the recommendation (requirement?) is to configure a connection with type
“xorg” and the the target host and driver guacd port in the connection’s
proxy settings.

All of that works, and if I configure connection parameters to enable
recording, I see the target gets them and tries to start recording. Except
that highlights our issue - we don’t want the target to be doing the
recording, or to even have access to that storage. We’d prefer an
intermediary guacd that can do the recording. I’m hoping this is one of
them dumb questions and I’m overlooking something obvious, but is there a
way to achieve this?

I also wanted to say thank you for all of the effort and contributions that
make Guacamole a joy to use and engineer with. It’s been so much fun
figuring out how to make it work how we want.
Mike Brown

Re: Proxy guacd recording

Posted by Michael Jumper <mj...@apache.org>.
On 11/1/2023 8:34 PM, Mike Brown wrote:
> Good evening!
>
> I’m revisiting this part of our project, and in particular thinking about how we could achieve that passive proxy like you described. Before I dig in too deep, could we pick Mike’s brain about this, just at sort of a high level on what it might take to implement? Essentially it’d just need to do all the other guacd stuff, and just not translate it, right? Mostly what I’m looking for is session recording by the guacd instance, but sharing and stuff should come with it I’d assume?

I think you'd need to implement a protocol plugin for guacd, similar to
the other protocols, that uses Guacamole protocol to talk to another
instance of guacd/Xorg. Just as we currently have "libguac-client-vnc"
and "libguac-client-rdp", there'd be a "libuguac-client-guac" or similar.

Much of that would probably just be nearly direct pass-through of
received and parsed data.

The tricky parts would be:

* Dealing with the nested underlying protocol and its connection
parameters, since these must be known ahead of time.
* Dealing with shared connections.

The above would be made easier if the implementation is specific to
proxying the Xorg driver.

- Mike

Re: Proxy guacd recording

Posted by Mike Brown <ma...@gmail.com>.