Posted to dev@rocketmq.apache.org by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> on 2017/02/07 11:24:28 UTC

[DISCUSS] Release Apache RocketMQ 4.0.0(incubating)

Hi,

Please put all non vote discussion here, rather than in the vote thread, as it makes it easier to count and review votes.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache RocketMQ 4.0.0(incubating)

Posted by Von Gosling <vo...@apache.org>.
Excellent~

I have checked the update points in RC3. IMO, we could call vote thread again once the ASL2 and EPL license compatible problem is resolved.

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your reply.

>  Why do the NOTICE files make note of commons-lang including something
from the Spring Framework?

commons-lang has this in its NOTICE file[1], so we added this to our NOTICE
file.

[1]. https://github.com/apache/commons-lang/blob/master/NOTICE.txt

> What is the policy for pointing users at Stackoverflow and Quora? I don't
think this should be included in the README (In fact, we should create a
users@rocketmq mailing list)

Mainling list is the first place in the section `Learn it & Contact us`,
and if Stackoverflow and Quora shouldn't be here, we will remove it next
release.

> About the file name

The binary file name is a legacy issue, we will unify the source release
and binary release file name in next release.

Regards,
yukon

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Bruce Snyder <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi All,

None of the items that I've found are showstoppers and I know that these
items have been mentioned before, but I will bring them up since I still
see them:

* It's definitely odd to point to Maven central and Github for incubating
project releases
* Also, the URL https://github.org/apache/rocketmqreleases does not resolve
for me
* What is the policy for pointing users at Stackoverflow and Quora? I don't
think this should be included in the README (In fact, we should create a
users@rocketmq mailing list)
* Why do the NOTICE files make note of commons-lang including something
from the Spring Framework?
* Shouldn't the release artifact names both be apache-rocketmq-*.zip?
** Also, the binary artifact unzips to a directory named
apache-rocketmq-all-* whereas the source artifact unzips to a directory
named rocketmq-all-*

Bruce

--
perl -e 'print

Blog: http://bsnyder.org/ <http://bruceblog.org/>
Twitter: http://twitter.com/brucesnyder

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache RocketMQ 4.0.0(incubating)

Posted by Xinyu Zhou <zh...@xinyu.im>.
Hi Justin,
Got it, thanks for your reminder.
Regards, yukon

Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Xinyu Zhou <zh...@xinyu.im>.
Hi Justin,

Thanks for the quick reply.

So we can use the LICENSE and NOTICE files of `master branch` version for our bin artifact, while use the LICENSE and NOTICE of a old version[1][2] for our source artifact. Does it ok?

And I will rename "binary dependency" to "bundles".

[1]. https://github.com/apache/incubator-rocketmq/blob/ROCKETMQ-53/NOTICE
[2]. https://github.com/apache/incubator-rocketmq/blob/ROCKETMQ-53/LICENSE

Regards,
yukon

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 1:31pm, Justin Mclean < justin@classsoftware.com [justin@classsoftware.com] > wrote:
Hi,

> I updated the LICENSE file, the non ASF ALv2 licenses has been added to our
> LICENSE file, and I think the mentioned [3],[4],[5] and [9] have been
> resolved.

In LICENSE rather than "binary dependency” I would put “bundles”.

There are dependancies not listed and it the fact that they are bundled not dependancies matters if something goes into LICENSE.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> I am not sure how to seperate LICENSE and NOTICE files for the source and
> binary packages, Do you mean we need add four files at  top level of the
> source tree ? LICENSE and NOTICE for source release, while LICENSE-BIN and
> NOTICE-BIN for binary release.

That look good to me, as long as you can rename the -BIN files  to LICENSE and NOTICE in the binary artifact.

> And what's difference between the four files?

The existing LICENSE and NOTICE files (before the changes) were fine for the source release.

> The binary of RocketMQ has 8 dependencies

The LICENSE and NOTICE contents are based on the contents of the artefact. ie What is bundled inside it not what it depends upon. (see the guiding principle link I posted earlier).

Hope that help, any questions or if it not clear just ask and I’ll do my best to explain.

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

Many thanks for your kind help.

I updated the LICENSE file, the non ASF ALv2 licenses has been added to our
LICENSE file, and I think the mentioned [3],[4],[5] and [9] have been
resolved.

I am not sure how to seperate LICENSE and NOTICE files for the source and
binary packages, Do you mean we need add four files at  top level of the
source tree ? LICENSE and NOTICE for source release, while LICENSE-BIN and
NOTICE-BIN for binary release.

And what's difference between the four files?

IMO,
The binary of RocketMQ has 8 dependencies: netty, commons-cli,
commons-lang, fastjson, javassist, jna, logback, slf4j,
while the source has some extra test scope dependencies like junit,
assertj, mockito, so are these the difference between LICENSE/NOTICE  and
LICENSE-BIN/NOTICE-BIN files?

I would appreciate your help.

Thanks,
yukon

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Justin, you are right, I have polished the LICENSE and NOTICE files, would
> you please check help us check it again at your convenience?
>
> [1]. https://github.com/apache/incubator-rocketmq/blob/master/LICENSE
> [2]. https://github.com/apache/incubator-rocketmq/blob/master/NOTICE <https://github.com/apache/incubator-rocketmq/blob/master/NOTICE>
Better (for the binary) but I think it still needs a little work. As I said before we need seperate LICENSE and NOTCE files for the source and binary packages not one for both. See [1][2] for an explanation.

The binary is also several missing licenses as as I mentioned in my review RC2, these should be added to LICENSE.

While not strictly required it probably a good idea to also add the non ASF ALv2 licenses to LICENSE as they are misisng NOTICE files and thus it may be unclear who the copyright owner is.

From my RC2 review:

1. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#binary <http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#binary>
2. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#guiding-principle <http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#guiding-principle>
3. https://github.com/alibaba/fastjson <https://github.com/alibaba/fastjson>
4. https://github.com/jboss-javassist/javassist/blob/master/License.html <https://github.com/jboss-javassist/javassist/blob/master/License.html>

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Justin, you are right, I have polished the LICENSE and NOTICE files, would
you please check help us check it again at your convenience?

[1]. https://github.com/apache/incubator-rocketmq/blob/master/LICENSE
[2]. https://github.com/apache/incubator-rocketmq/blob/master/NOTICE

Also please mentors, committers and contributors help us to review the new
change points about the RC3:

1. Add license notice for all the dependencies.
2. Remove the 3rd party links in README.
3. Polish bin/README file.
4. Two PRs have been merged(
https://github.com/apache/incubator-rocketmq/pull/50,
https://github.com/apache/incubator-rocketmq/pull/54)

Tomorrow, we will call the vote for Apache RocketMQ 4.0.0-incubating RC3,
please pay any attention to it.

Regards,
yukon

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
Hi,

Got it.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

1. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#category-b <https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#category-b>
2. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep <http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#alv2-dep>
3. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#mutually-exclusive <https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#mutually-exclusive>
4 .https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#required-third-party-notices <https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved#required-third-party-notices>
5. http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice <http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice>

Re: [DISCUSS] Release Apache RocketMQ 4.0.0(incubating)

Posted by yukon <yu...@apache.org>.
Thanks Justin, we got it.

And there is issue being raised that EPL 1.0 is not compatible with ASL2,
but RocketMQ has a dependency on logback which is under the EPL v1.0 and
the LGPL 2.1 License[1], Does it ok?

Also could you please help us check the NOTICE file is correct or not?

[1]. https://github.com/apache/incubator-rocketmq/blob/master/NOTICE

Regards,
yukon

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.