Posted to batik-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Tobin Fricke <to...@splorg.org> on 2004/08/19 01:26:44 UTC

displaying SVG from a string

I see that the JSVGCanvas class has a "setURI" method to fetch an SVG from
some URI.  However, I have an SVG document in a String... I just want to
give this SVG string to the JSVGCanvas and have it display it.  How should
I accomplish this?

Secondly, what's the proper way to build something that has a dependency
on Batik?  i.e., what classpath do I use?

thanks,
Tobin

Re: displaying SVG from a string

Posted by Thomas DeWeese <Th...@Kodak.com>.
Hi Tobin,

Tobin Fricke wrote:

> I see that the JSVGCanvas class has a "setURI" method to fetch an SVG from
> some URI.  However, I have an SVG document in a String... I just want to
> give this SVG string to the JSVGCanvas and have it display it.  How should
> I accomplish this?

    Turn the String into a Reader (java.io.StringReader), parse it into
a DOM tree using the org.apache.batik.dom.svg.SAXSVGDocumentFactory
class.  Give the resulting document to the canvas
JSVGCanvas.setSVGDocument.

> Secondly, what's the proper way to build something that has a dependency
> on Batik?  i.e., what classpath do I use?

    Depends on what you want or need out of the Batik toolkit.
Take a look at http://xml.apache.org/batik/install.html#jarFiles for
a diagram of jar file dependencies.  You could also just build your
own jar file the ant build file has an 'all-jar' target that builds
one jar file that includes everything.

    You might also look at the manifest files for the batik
applications to see how they work.

Re: displaying SVG from a string

Posted by Tonny Kohar <to...@kiyut.com>.
Hi,

> I see that the JSVGCanvas class has a "setURI" method to fetch an SVG from
> some URI.  However, I have an SVG document in a String... I just want to
> give this SVG string to the JSVGCanvas and have it display it.  How should
> I accomplish this?

Here is the example
StringReader reader = new StringReader(someString);
try {
	String parser = XMLResourceDescriptor.getXMLParserClassName();
        SAXSVGDocumentFactory f = new SAXSVGDocumentFactory(parser);
        doc = f.createSVGDocument(baseDocumentURI,reader);
} catch (Exception ex) { }
jsvgCanvas.setDocument(doc);

Regards
Tonny Kohar