Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by I....@gmail.com on 2006/03/24 01:31:30 UTC

[Q] External sources and svn+ssh access

Hi list!

Recently I was playing with migration our repository from CVS to Subversion
and found a problem with external sources...

Remote repository we use is accessed by svn+ssh protocol. In this repository
we have a couple of external sources. Actually it is just another modules
from this repository... so repository layout looks like this:

svn+ssh://hostname/path/to/svn-root/
  super-module/
    trunk/
    branches/
    tags/
  sub-modue-1/
    trunk/
    branches/
    tags/
  sub-modue-2/
    trunk/
    branches/
    tags/

for top-level directory of super-module/ we have 2 svn:externals defined:

sub-module-1		svn+ssh://hostname/path/to/svn-root/sub-module-1/trunk
sub-module-2		svn+ssh://hostname/path/to/svn-root/sub-module-2/trunk

The problem:
	When remote user (and local username and remote user name are not the
same!!!) wants to checkout super-module he type the command:
  svn co svn+ssh://user@hostname/path/to/svn-root/super-module/trunk
super-module

but when SVN start to checkout external sources it ask about password of local
user on remote machine...!!! -- Yes I'm understand it is because we didn't
specify any user in externals URL... BUT WE CAN'T do this because we have a
lot of users which are would like to checkout super-module (with sub modules)
and all of our users are grant sufficient permissions to whole repository...
(all users are actually developers and want to commit too...)

so the question is: how to checkout such composite module using svn+ssh?

thanx in advise.

// BR

Re: [Q] External sources and svn+ssh access

Posted by Chris Seawood <cl...@seawood.org>.
I.zaufi@gmail.com wrote:
> The problem:
> 	When remote user (and local username and remote user name are not the
> same!!!) wants to checkout super-module he type the command:
>   svn co svn+ssh://user@hostname/path/to/svn-root/super-module/trunk
> super-module

The user with differing username will have to configure his ssh client
to use the remote username when connecting to the svn server.  This will
remove the need for adding 'user@' to the ssh commandline.  Each user
can have their own custom ssh client configuration in ~/.ssh/config .

cat >> ~/.ssh/config<<EOF
Host svn.server.name
   User remote_username
EOF