Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Darren Beale <li...@acksys.co.uk> on 2002/12/11 10:52:49 UTC

[users@httpd] Weird startup error

Hi there

I've just built myself a pre-production box here a Sun Ultra 2 Enterprise
desktop running a fully patched Solaris 9 with GCC3.2, GNU binultils and all
the GNU usuals like tar, sed, awk etc... all as packages from
sunfreeware.com

After compiling (which went OK) Apache 1.3.27 I go into httpd.conf as usual
and change a few things like ServerName, NameVirtualHost, add the AddType
for php and then do 'apachectl start'

================8<================
root@ringworld /# /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
Syntax error on line 399 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
ELF
/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
================8<================

It's the 'ELF' bit that worries me here

If I go into the file, line 399 looks very innocent:
(MARKED # <!------------- THUS)

================8<================
<Directory "/usr/local/apache/htdocs">

#
# This may also be "None", "All", or any combination of "Indexes",
# "Includes", "FollowSymLinks", "ExecCGI", or "MultiViews".
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#

#
# This controls which options the .htaccess files in directories can
# override. Can also be "All", or any combination of "Options", "FileInfo",
# "AuthConfig", and "Limit"
#
    AllowOverride None

#
#
    Order allow,deny # <!------------- LINE 399
    Allow from all
</Directory>
================8<================

Comment out 399 then 400 is a problem, comment out 400 then another line
(454 I think) is the problem

Now I do a diff with httpd.conf.default and it's the same apart from
the changes that I've mentioned

Since this I've now downloaded and installed 1.3.24 just to make sure that
it's not a problem with Apache. I delete httpd.conf, make install and before
editing the file I do an apactl start and it's the same problem on a
slightly different line, but it's also one that starts "Order allow, deny"

I'm guessing that the file is not parsing correctly and that is because I
have some environmental issues here.

I've been searching around and I came up with this (becasue it had the words
ELF and apache in it)
http://www.lists.aldigital.co.uk/apache-ssl/msg00533.html

so as the poster says I run "file /bin/sh"
and get:

================8<================
root@ringworld apache_1.3.24# file /bin/sh
/bin/sh:        ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically
linked, stripped
================8<================

Not that it means that much to me

Could someone please direct me as to how I can debug this problem further so
I can get apache working

thanks

;D

--
Darren Beale - Acksys Ltd
Office: 020 8530 1454

Re: [users@httpd] Weird startup error

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> ================8<================
> root@ringworld /# /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start
> Syntax error on line 399 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
> ELF
> /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started
> ================8<================
>
> It's the 'ELF' bit that worries me here

ELF is a type of binary.  I think what its saying is that "ELF binary httpd
could not be started"

>     Order allow,deny # <!------------- LINE 399
>     Allow from all
> </Directory>

Do you have mod_access loaded and added?

> Since this I've now downloaded and installed 1.3.24 just to make sure that
> it's not a problem with Apache. I delete httpd.conf, make install and
before
> editing the file I do an apactl start and it's the same problem on a
> slightly different line, but it's also one that starts "Order allow, deny"

Sounds like mod_access isn't being loaded.

> I've been searching around and I came up with this (becasue it had the
words
> ELF and apache in it)
> http://www.lists.aldigital.co.uk/apache-ssl/msg00533.html
>
> so as the poster says I run "file /bin/sh"
> and get:
> Not that it means that much to me

well, it lets you know that /bin/sh is a 32 bit ELF binary for SPARC v1, has
dynamically linked code, and has been stripped of debug info.  Not really
any help to the problem :-)

> Could someone please direct me as to how I can debug this problem further
so
> I can get apache working

Make sure you have mod_access working.

-Jacob