Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by 120113698 <12...@qq.com> on 2009/11/30 16:50:11 UTC

Derby--Embedded

How can I embed the Derby-Database to a Desktop Java Application?
and what is the deffirence between using Oracle Database in Deaktop Java Apps and using derby in desktop java apps?

2009-11-30

120113698

Re: Derby--Embedded

Posted by Rick Hillegas <Ri...@Sun.COM>.
120113698 wrote:
> How can I embed the Derby-Database to a Desktop Java Application?
> and what is the deffirence between using Oracle Database in Deaktop
> Java Apps and using derby in desktop java apps?
>
> 2009-11-30
> 120113698
Hello,

The Getting Started Guide explains how to embed Derby in a desktop
application: http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/10.5/getstart/

Regards,
-Rick

Re: Derby--Embedded

Posted by Donald McLean <dm...@gmail.com>.
Oracle and other databases (including Derby server mode) - the DB runs
as a separate process and the application talks to it over a network
connection. Embedded databases such as Derby the database runs inside
your application, the database is on a local disk and the application
objects talk directly to the DBMS objects via method calls.

Actually doing the embedding basically requires two things:

1. including derby.jar in your classpath

2. connecting to the database using a URL that specifies a local file

Otherwise - what Rick said - the Derby documentation is pretty
straightforward and useful.

Donald

--
Family photographs are a critical legacy for
ourselves and our descendants. Protect that

Join the photo preservation advocacy Facebook group:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=148274709288