Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com> on 2022/01/15 05:37:14 UTC

comments on c-k-c docs state && RI preview

I noticed a few things working on the RI info for camel-kafka-connector.

- the compatibility matrices are thoroughly out of date, e.g. https://camel.apache.org/camel-kafka-connector/0.11.0/user-guide/camel-compatibility-matrix.html <https://camel.apache.org/camel-kafka-connector/0.11.0/user-guide/camel-compatibility-matrix.html>

- All other camel subprojects use e.g. 2.5.x as the Antora component version, but c-k-c is using 0.11.0.  Especially since it’s LTS I think we should change it to 0.11.x so when 0.11.1 comes out the version still makes sense, as well as being consistent with the rest of the site.  I’m setting the 1.0.x branch up to say 1.0.x as the Antora version.

- archetype-dataformat-connector has camel-version 3.6.0, rather out of date.

- the maven versions in 1.0.x branch is 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT and for 0.11.x 0.12.0-SNAPSHOT.  I think these should increment the micro version, not minor version?

- Is 1.0.x LTS?

- I guess it would make sense to change

Camel Kafka Connector allows you to use all Camel components <applewebdata://26B8BDA8-8AF9-4D43-86E9-44E7AD9124B6/components/3.14.x/index.html> as Kafka Connect <http://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#connect> connectors.
Camel Kafka Connector allows you to use all Kamelets as Kafka Connect <http://kafka.apache.org/documentation/#connect> connectors.

As part of the RI effort there’s a preview for c-k-c at https://pr-747--camel.netlify.app/camel-kafka-connector/next/index.html

David Jencks

Re: comments on c-k-c docs state && RI preview

Posted by Andrea <an...@tarocch.it>.
First of all thanks for the work!

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022, at 03:08, David Jencks wrote:
> Putting the conclusion at the top….
>
> https://pr-747--camel.netlify.app/camel-kafka-connector/next/index.html <https://pr-747--camel.netlify.app/camel-kafka-connector/next/index.html>

Looks awesome!

> I put the compatibility table at the bottom of the index page, added a kamelets column, and turned entries into links where plausible.
>
> The table is also on the compatibility matrix page.
>
> If the index page looks good, I’ll remove the compatibility page and squash everything.

Good for me!

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
There’s the preview PR which shouldn’t be merged because it refers to all my repos, but there’s also https://github.com/apache/camel-website/pull/763 <https://github.com/apache/camel-website/pull/763> which does need to be merged but I haven’t been able to attract anyone’s attention to it.  That will bring in the contents to all these new tables plus the newly released camel-k/kamelets branches.

David Jencks

Posted by Andrea <an...@tarocch.it>.
Hello,

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea <an...@tarocch.it>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea <an...@tarocch.it>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrea <an...@tarocch.it>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks, inline...

> On Jan 16, 2022, at 1:04 AM, Andrea <an...@tarocch.it> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> comments inline:
>
> On Sat, Jan 15, 2022, at 06:37, David Jencks wrote:
>> I noticed a few things working on the RI info for camel-kafka-connector.
>>
>> - the compatibility matrices are thoroughly out of date, e.g. https://camel.apache.org/camel-kafka-connector/0.11.0/user-guide/camel-compatibility-matrix.html <https://camel.apache.org/camel-kafka-connector/0.11.0/user-guide/camel-compatibility-matrix.html>
> Yep the compatibility matrix page needs some love... a column mentioning kamelet catalog version needs to be added and probably we can remove some old rows?
> willing to help on this on too? :)

I think the entire existing matrix is out of date and should be removed?  Or are there usable versions of c-k-c that aren’t documented?

I wonder if the RI information is sufficient, WDYT?

If you’re sure we need the matrix, let me know where it should start and I’ll make some PRs.  I’d suggest having only one copy, perhaps in next, and referring to it from the other branches.

>> - All other camel subprojects use e.g. 2.5.x as the Antora component version, but c-k-c is using 0.11.0.  Especially since it’s LTS I think we should change it to 0.11.x so when 0.11.1 comes out the version still makes sense, as well as being consistent with the rest of the site.  I’m setting the 1.0.x branch up to say 1.0.x as the Antora version.
> +1 I agree

I’ve changed to 0.11.x in my RI PR.

>> - archetype-dataformat-connector has camel-version 3.6.0, rather out of date.
> What do you mean here?

I should have looked harder and explained better.  The example output shown in archetype-dataformat-connector.adoc shows using camel 3.6.0.  This page should probably be updated, and I wonder if it is even relevant for the kamelet-based c-k-c.

>> - the maven versions in 1.0.x branch is 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT and for 0.11.x 0.12.0-SNAPSHOT.  I think these should increment the micro version, not minor version?
> In theory you are right, in practice for convenience and based on how maven release plugin works and how we do releases, is more convenient to leave the version set as next release version even in the single releases branches... hoping to remember that once a new minor release of a release branch is needed.
>
> I admit that might be we are just being lazy and there is a reasonably hassle free way of handling this better?

Perhaps I didn’t explain very well.  Both 0.11.0 and 1.0.0 are LTS so we can expect releases on these branches.  The next versions will be 0.11.1 and 1.0.1, so the current maven versions  should be 0.11.1-SNAPSHOT and 1.0.1-SNAPSHOT, with the micro version incremented: the current 0.12.0-SNAPSHOT and 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT are extremely misleading.

>> - Is 1.0.x LTS?
> Yes it is, as it is 0.11.0

I changed to this in my RI PR.

Posted by Andrea <an...@tarocch.it>.
Hello,

comments inline:

On Sat, Jan 15, 2022, at 06:37, David Jencks wrote:
> I noticed a few things working on the RI info for camel-kafka-connector.
>
> - the compatibility matrices are thoroughly out of date, e.g. https://camel.apache.org/camel-kafka-connector/0.11.0/user-guide/camel-compatibility-matrix.html <https://camel.apache.org/camel-kafka-connector/0.11.0/user-guide/camel-compatibility-matrix.html>
 Yep the compatibility matrix page needs some love... a column mentioning kamelet catalog version needs to be added and probably we can remove some old rows?
willing to help on this on too? :)

> - All other camel subprojects use e.g. 2.5.x as the Antora component version, but c-k-c is using 0.11.0.  Especially since it’s LTS I think we should change it to 0.11.x so when 0.11.1 comes out the version still makes sense, as well as being consistent with the rest of the site.  I’m setting the 1.0.x branch up to say 1.0.x as the Antora version.
+1 I agree

> - archetype-dataformat-connector has camel-version 3.6.0, rather out of date.
What do you mean here?

> - the maven versions in 1.0.x branch is 1.1.0-SNAPSHOT and for 0.11.x 0.12.0-SNAPSHOT.  I think these should increment the micro version, not minor version?
In theory you are right, in practice for convenience and based on how maven release plugin works and how we do releases, is more convenient to leave the version set as next release version even in the single releases branches... hoping to remember that once a new minor release of a release branch is needed.

I admit that might be we are just being lazy and there is a reasonably hassle free way of handling this better?

> - Is 1.0.x LTS?
Yes it is, as it is 0.11.0