Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Pa...@lntinfotech.com on 2009/08/19 09:08:04 UTC

Access OFBiz Entity Engine Persistence Manager outside OFBiz.

Hi Users,

I have a question regarding the entity engine of OFBiz.
Currently I have an application in which I am using Hibernate as
Persistence Manager. For this I am using a configuration file
to set the Persistence Manager for my application.
Now instead of this I want to use the OFBiz entity engine persistence
Manager.
So can you tell me what are the things I need to change to use the entity
engine persistence manager.

Configuration File I am using to set Hibernate is :

<persistence-unit name="org.my.persistence.jpa">
    <provider>org.hibernate.ejb.HibernatePersistence</provider>
    <jta-data-source>jdbc/processInstanceDS</jta-data-source>
    <class>org.my.persistence.session.SessionInfo</class>
    <class>org.my.persistence.processinstance.ProcessInstanceInfo</class>

<class>org.my.persistence.processinstance.ProcessInstanceEventInfo</class>
    <class>org.my.persistence.processinstance.WorkItemInfo</class>

    <properties>
      <property name="hibernate.dialect"
value="org.hibernate.dialect.H2Dialect"/>
      <property name="hibernate.max_fetch_depth" value="3"/>
      <property name="hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto" value="update"/>
      <property name="hibernate.show_sql" value="true"/>
      <property name="hibernate.transaction.manager_lookup_class"
 value="org.hibernate.transaction.BTMTransactionManagerLookup"/>
    </properties>
  </persistence-unit>
</persistence>

Is it possible to use OFBiz entity engine outside OFBIz?
Also if I am deploying my application inside OFBiz , so then can I use
entity engine ?

Please help to clear my doubt.

Thanks & Regards

Pardeep Ruhil

Re: Access OFBiz Entity Engine Persistence Manager outside OFBiz.

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
Hello Pardeep:

The IMHO the Entity Engine (EE) is one of the greatest kept secrets
about OFBiz. I have used it in the past for many applications outside of
the OFBiz ERP suite. I have also used it in applications where Hibernate
was also being used (but not in the same Servlets.) There are lots of
ways to do this - but the easiest and fastest way to get started is to
build your application within the OFBiz framework and access the
database. All the coding tools (Java, Groovy, Bean Shell, Simple Methods
etc. ) are already integrated and use the EE.

You don't need to change anything in your Hibernate configuration.
Instead, remove the configuration file(s);  don't put any  Hibernate
jars on your classpath and convert your applications to run within the
framework. Of course, if you are already making database calls, you will
need to use the EE query language and not SQL. No worries however, the
EE query language is much easier to use than embedded SQL.

Regards,
Ruth