Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Bruce Knoth <bk...@yahoo.com> on 2006/06/29 17:18:23 UTC

Diff argument problem

(I searched the archives, but no luck finding this
issue)

I'm learning to use Subversion on WinXP. I setup
WinMerge as an external diff program (I set "diff-cmd
= C:\Program Files\WinMerge\WinMerge.exe" in the
config file.)

When I use the command line "svn diff ReadMe.txt" it
appears to send the following command-line arguments
to WinMerge (including the "(revision 3)" and
"(working copy)"  phrases:

C:\Repositories\MedSys\ReadMe.txt	(revision 3)
C:\Repositories\MedSys\ReadMe.txt	(working copy)

The parenthetical expressions make them invalid file
names, and the same name is being sent for both
arguments.

Is there a solution for this problem?

Thanks,

Bruce

Re: Diff argument problem

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 29, 2006, at 19:18, Bruce Knoth wrote:

> I'm learning to use Subversion on WinXP. I setup
> WinMerge as an external diff program (I set "diff-cmd
> = C:\Program Files\WinMerge\WinMerge.exe" in the
> config file.)
>
> When I use the command line "svn diff ReadMe.txt" it
> appears to send the following command-line arguments
> to WinMerge (including the "(revision 3)" and
> "(working copy)"  phrases:
>
> C:\Repositories\MedSys\ReadMe.txt	(revision 3)
> C:\Repositories\MedSys\ReadMe.txt	(working copy)
>
> The parenthetical expressions make them invalid file
> names, and the same name is being sent for both
> arguments.

When I set the --diff-cmd argument to the following Bash script on a
non-Windows system...

#!/bin/sh
for ARG in "$@"; do
	echo '"'$ARG'"'
done

...I see the following arguments sent:

"-u"
"-L"
"path/to/file.txt (revision 1234)"
"-L"
"path/to/file.txt (working copy)"
"path/to/.svn/text-base/file.txt.svn-base"
"path/to/file.txt"

So WinMerge appears to be looking at arguments 3 and 5, when
arguments 6 and 7 are the ones that contain the actual filenames.

Looks to me like "-L" is supposed to indicate that the next argument
is a label, and not a filename.