Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Liz Kim <li...@gmail.com> on 2006/08/04 19:24:49 UTC

[users@httpd] 404 on existing file

I am having a problem with ErrorDocument.
There is a err.html file which exists under
/web/path/to/err.html

ErrorDocument 500 http://myURL/path/to/err.html

works.  However,

ErrorDocument 404 /web/path/to/err.html

gives me a 404 error.  The file exists and I can get to it
when I give it the complete url.

Any inputs on why it's giving me the 404 on the local URL?

Thank you

Re: [users@httpd] 404 on existing file

Posted by Richard Collyer <ri...@firebadger.net>.
Liz Kim wrote:
> I am having a problem with ErrorDocument.
> There is a err.html file which exists under
> /web/path/to/err.html
>
> ErrorDocument 500 http://myURL/path/to/err.html
>
> works.  However,
>
> ErrorDocument 404 /web/path/to/err.html
>
> gives me a 404 error.  The file exists and I can get to it
> when I give it the complete url.
>
> Any inputs on why it's giving me the 404 on the local URL?
>
> Thank you

Also, are you sure the path is /web/path/to/err.html or is it in a dir
such as /home/web ?

Cheers
Richard

AW: [users@httpd] 404 on existing file

Posted by Mididoc Productions <ma...@mididoc.com>.
if you use an absolute path it works, doesn't it ?
eg http://www.yoururl.com/path/to/err.html

cheers mike roland

Posted by Morgan Gangwere <0....@gmail.com>.
i must say this:

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Richard Collyer <ri...@firebadger.net>.
Liz Kim wrote:
> I am having a problem with ErrorDocument.
> There is a err.html file which exists under
> /web/path/to/err.html
>
> ErrorDocument 500 http://myURL/path/to/err.html
>
> works.  However,
>
> ErrorDocument 404 /web/path/to/err.html
>
> gives me a 404 error.  The file exists and I can get to it
> when I give it the complete url.
>
> Any inputs on why it's giving me the 404 on the local URL?
>
> Thank you

What does "vi /web/path/to/err.html" do

Also are you defining global ErrorDocument or are you doing this as part
of a virtualhost?

Cheers
Richard