Posted to jdo-dev@db.apache.org by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com> on 2014/03/24 18:11:05 UTC

[VOTE] Use svnpubsub for publishing DB project release artifacts

Hi PMC,

Recently the JDO project set up to use svnpubsub to publish our releases. We have opened this JIRA to track the request: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-7320 But because JDO is a sub-project of db, infra would like to have "all or nothing" for svnpubsub.

This technique is easier and less error-prone than the alternative (manually copying release artifacts to dist/db via scp). The technique is described here: http://www.apache.org/dev/release#upload-ci

The impact on Derby is that as part of the migration, a Derby release manager (actually anyone with commit privs to derby) will have to copy the release artifacts to the source svnpubsub repository: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/db/derby

Once this is done, infra will synchronize the release/db directory with Apache's official release directory which is automatically mirrored worldwide. The downloads page that chooses a mirror will continue to work exactly as before. There are no other changes to release artifact naming.

To stop mirroring a Derby release, the appropriate directory under https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/db/derby simply needs to be svn rm'd. The change will automatically propagate to mirrors.

Please vote to adopt this new release process.

Here's my +1

Craig

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [VOTE] Use svnpubsub for publishing DB project release artifacts

Posted by Camilla Haase <ca...@oracle.com>.
I agree that if Myrna (who faces an imminent release) and Rick are on
board, that's enough support. We should probably be copying the PMC list.

+1

Kim

Posted by Camilla Haase <ca...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Dyre Tjeldvoll <Dy...@oracle.com>.
On 27. mars 2014, at 22:14, mike matrigali <mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/24/2014 10:11 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:
>> Hi PMC,
>>
>> Recently the JDO project set up to use svnpubsub to publish our releases. We have opened this JIRA to track the request: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-7320 But because JDO is a sub-project of db, infra would like to have "all or nothing" for svnpubsub.
>>
>> This technique is easier and less error-prone than the alternative (manually copying release artifacts to dist/db via scp). The technique is described here: http://www.apache.org/dev/release#upload-ci
>>
>> The impact on Derby is that as part of the migration, a Derby release manager (actually anyone with commit privs to derby) will have to copy the release artifacts to the source svnpubsub repository: https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/db/derby
>>
>> Once this is done, infra will synchronize the release/db directory with Apache's official release directory which is automatically mirrored worldwide. The downloads page that chooses a mirror will continue to work exactly as before. There are no other changes to release artifact naming.
>>
>> To stop mirroring a Derby release, the appropriate directory under https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/db/derby simply needs to be svn rm'd. The change will automatically propagate to mirrors.
>>
>> Please vote to adopt this new release process.
>>
>> Here's my +1
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> Craig L Russell
>> Architect, Oracle
>> http://db.apache.org/jdo
>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com
>> P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!
>>

> Since our most experienced release managers are in favor I agree,
> +1

Thanks Myrna,
+1

Regards,

Dyre

Re: [VOTE] Use svnpubsub for publishing DB project release artifacts

Posted by mike matrigali <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Dag H. Wanvik" <da...@oracle.com>.
Hi,

+1

Dag

Posted by "Dag H. Wanvik" <da...@oracle.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.
Sorry, I wasn't paying attention to the address list. To reiterate:

+1 from me, as it will benefit of the entire db project.

Myrna

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.
On 3/27/14 12:47 PM, Rick Hillegas wrote:
> [...]
>>         under https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/db/derby
>>         simply needs to be svn rm'd. The change will automatically
>>         propagate to mirrors.
>>
>>         Please vote to adopt this new release process.
>>
>>         Here's my +1
>>
>>         Craig
>>
>>         Craig L Russell
>>         Architect, Oracle
>>         http://db.apache.org/jdo
>>         408 276-5638
>> <tel:408%20276-5638> mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com
>> <ma...@oracle.com>
>>         P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!
>>
>>     I am inclined to cast a positive vote. However, first I'd like to
>>     hear from Myrna, who is about to produce a Derby release and will
>>     be the first Derby release manager affected by this change. I want
>>     to make sure that she is comfortable with this change and how it
>>     will affect her management of Derby 10.10.2.

Note that this PMC-wide vote was called with a mailing list which
differs from our usual, Derby conventions. The vote mailing list includes...

derby-dev@db.apache.org
jdo-dev@db.apache.org
private@db.apache.org

I think that Mike and Dyre's responses went to the derby-dev list but
not the other lists. Craig may not be able to include those votes in his
tally.

Thanks,
-Rick

Re: [VOTE] Use svnpubsub for publishing DB project release artifacts

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Myrna van Lunteren <m....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Rick Hillegas <ri...@oracle.com>.

[VOTE][RESULT] Use svnpubsub for publishing DB project release artifacts

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
After 10 days, eight in favor, and no votes against, this vote passes.
+1 votes were received from Craig, Greg, Michael, Thomas, Rick, Myrna, Camilla, and Dag.
Next steps:
The current Derby and Torque releases need to be copied to new svn directories under https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/release/db/
This can be done by anyone in the DB PMC. Infra will then establish the sync to the official Apache release directory.
Thanks, everyone.
Craig