Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Chris Colman <ch...@stepaheadsoftware.com> on 2007/09/22 04:19:44 UTC

ExternalLink documentation enhancement

For the first time I had to provide an external link to the outside from
a Wicket app - heh, it happens sometimes ;)

One thing I discovered that I couldn't find documented in the
ExternalLink class was that you need to put a 'http://' prefix prior to
the URL so that the URL gets formed properly - ie., not appended to the
current wicket page's URL.

I would have thought that an external link without any protocol prefix
should always default to an absolute link to an http:// page and not a
relative link from the current page. Being an external link, by
definition, it could never be a relative link from the current page I
wouldn't think.

Perhaps if the documentation could be enhanced to mention the need to
add the protocol prefix (eg 'http://') it might help others who come
across this issue.

Thanks again for the world's best Object Oriented, Component Based UI
framework!

Re: ExternalLink documentation enhancement

Posted by Kent Tong <ke...@cpttm.org.mo>.

Chris Colman wrote:

> I would have thought that an external link without any protocol prefix
> should always default to an absolute link to an http:// page and not a
> relative link from the current page. Being an external link, by
> definition, it could never be a relative link from the current page I
> wouldn't think.

You can indeed use a relative url without a scheme such as:

   //foo.com/bar.html

then it will mean http://foo.com/bar.html if the current url uses the
http scheme. It can't force you to use http though as you may
want mailto or https or something else.