Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net> on 2012/07/23 12:16:03 UTC

Snapshots while a release is in progress

Hi all,

first many thanks to Holly for organizing the Aries release. This is
really a lot of work and she is doinga great job making it possible.
Btw. I hope aries can switch to a simpler release concept soon but this
is not what I wanted to discuss.

I have a concern about the old snapshots when a release takes place.
Currently the snapshots are removed from the apache snapshot repo as
soon as a release is started. This means that dependent projects like
karaf have to adapt all the time.

So for each part of aries that is released we first have to switch to
the next snapshot version as the release is not yet there and then to
the release version. Even this effort only helps for local builds at the
moment as the new snapshots do not seem to work through Jenkins. So each
developer also has to build the aries trunk all the time.

So basically this means that the karaf build on Jenkins is now red for
24 days.

So to improve this I propose to keep the old snapshots for some months
so dependent projects have some time to adapt to a new release or
snapshot. What do you think? Is this possible?

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de

Open Source Architect

Re: Snapshots while a release is in progress

Posted by Holly Cummins <ho...@googlemail.com>.
Following up to myself, I've just cleaned my local repo and built
blueprint, and I see output like:

Downloading:
http://repository.apache.org/snapshots/org/apache/aries/blueprint/org.apache.aries.blueprint.core/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/org.apache.aries.blueprint.core-1.0.0-20120719.033239-39.jar
Downloaded:
http://repository.apache.org/snapshots/org/apache/aries/blueprint/org.apache.aries.blueprint.core/1.0.0-SNAPSHOT/org.apache.aries.blueprint.core-1.0.0-20120719.033239-39.jar(374
KB at 124.9 KB/sec)

So I think the snapshots are still there in the repo, and perhaps it's a
maven or Jenkins config thing? Still something that needs to be fixed, of
course ...

Holly

Posted by Holly Cummins <ho...@googlemail.com>.