Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Kirill Grouchnikov <ki...@yahoo.com> on 2005/08/04 08:20:13 UTC

[betwixt] Sample code not working

Isn't anybody worried that the new Betwixt release doesn't
work on examples provided with it (not to speak of the real
objects)?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
The Summary page does not seem to mention the minimum version of Java
required to run the various products. This would be a useful addition.

Likewise it would be useful if the licensing and re-distribution
requirements were noted.

Also, it says that JAXB consists of 5 jars, 2.4MB. However, all I
could find on the Sun Website was a link to Java Web Services
Developer pack 1.6, which is 27MB or 30MB in size. It would be useful
to include download size (and ease of use finding the jars!)

==

XStream is normally used with XPP - did you test with this? If so,
which version?

S.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 07:06 -0700, Kirill Grouchnikov wrote:
> Robert,
>
> > all dynamic binders by their nature require tuning.
> > though your benchmarks are useful for generative binders,
> > they not all
> > that informative for the dynamic binders. all dynamic
> > binders are slow
> > (since they use reflection). what's crucial (for users)
> > is whether they
> > can be tuned. two sets of benchmarks (vanilla and tuned)
> > would be more
> > interesting and useful for the dynamic binders.
>
> To see what exactly?

there are occasions when a dynamic binder is more useful than a
generative one. it's not good picking a dynamic binder that does not
have adequate performance when tuned.

> That the default options of some
> dynamic binder are not good? Why are they default then?

it's the nature of dynamic binding: a generator has (by definition) all
the information that they require at generation time. dynamic binders
only know what they are binding at run time. the real advantage of
dynamic binders is that they are much more flexible than generative
ones.

in the specific case of betwixt, it needs to play well with other
frameworks and so lacks

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 01:36 -0700, Kirill Grouchnikov wrote:
> I'm soory, but i am really tired of this fruitless dispute.

i for one am very glad at that. i'm also glad that you finally got round
to giving your plug for JAXB2 (bit slow, i thought).

> This will be my last mail on below issues.

a refusal to correct factual inaccuracies speaks volumes :)

> > > Take a look at
> > > http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/betwixt/dependencies
> > and
> > > note the following line: " The following is a list of
> > > dependencies for this project. These dependencies are
> > > required to compile and run the application". It may be
> > not
> > > your fault, but once i want to use betwixt, i'm stuck
> > with
> > > all these jars.
> >
> > you're missing my point: resolver.jar and which.jar are
> > not on that
> > list. your summary is inaccurate. if you're going to take
> > on the role of
> > critique then it is important for your credibility that
> > you make
> > accurate comments in your summary.
>
> Going from
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/betwixt/dependencies.html
> to the link on xml commons and to its download section
> http://xml.apache.org/mirrors.cgi . DL the
> xml-commons-1.0.b2.tar.gz file. It contains three jars,
> xml-apis.jar, resolver.jar and which.jar. Nowhere on
> Betwixt site i've seen that i must take only xml-apis.jar.

you downloaded some files from xml-commons (the wrong files BTW) and
didn't like the names they had. betwixt has no dependency on them, just
a dependency on a SAX parser. so, your comment is factually inaccurate.
and yet, you still refuse to rephrase your inaccurate and misleading
comment.

so, please change the comment to 'misleading documentation' or whatever.

> > if your basic complaint is that the size of the
> > dependency tree is a
> > negative: great! just say that.
>
> In "What are the factors that you use for "ease-of-use"
> scoring?" section of FAQ you can see that distinct names of
> jar files are part of rating. Number of jar files isn't.

you FAQ is an interesting document. it seems to be very creative in
rating some points (for example, jar names) whilst ignoring others (such
as how hard the generation process is).

i also note that you felt the need to defend yourself against criticism
for many of your controversial ratings. seems i'm not alone in believing
that if you improved your methodology then your criticisms would be
taken more seriously.

<snip>

> > > Taken from
> > >

> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/betwixt/guide/examples.html
> > > :
> > >
> > > // Write example bean as base element 'person'
> > > beanWriter.write("person", new PersonBean("John Smith",
> > > 21));
> > >
> > > // Register beans so that betwixt knows what the xml is
> > > be converted to
> > > // Since the element mapped to a PersonBean isn't
> > called
> > > the same,
> > > // need to register the path as well
> > > beanReader.registerBeanClass("person",
> > PersonBean.class);
> >
> > this describes how the example works.
> >
> > do you intend to replace your inaccurate line with
> > something more
> > accurate like: poor example code (or something).
>
> Once again, going to "What are the factors that you use for
> "ease-of-use" scoring?" section of FAQ - "Documentation
> (not Javadocs)". If you have poor documentation, you have
> poor library. Period.

you chose to write something that is factually incorrect: betwixt does
not require specific root tags.

i do find it surprising that you refuse to correct specific factual
inaccuracies and this gives me reason to doubt your sincerity. i have
made no complaints about your low score (as a subjective rating, that is
your right) and would not have complained had you commented about the
documentation. you did not.

you project would have much great impact if it were not so partisan and
if you took the trouble to replace inaccurate comments. for the record,
betwixt is not the only entry which has inaccuracies.

<snip>

> > the
> > them)
> > >
> > > How about a link from the main page at
> > > https://bindmark.dev.java.net/ (to Ronald Bourret
> > site)?
> >
> > your site does not try to apply any classify to them,
> > though. Ronald
> > seems to take a little bit of an unusual way to do it but
> > any
> > classification would be better than none.
>
> The project is a benchmark, not a classificator.

but if you are so sure that generative start-from-java solutions are so
much superior for all applications then why not create some benchmarks
which are not systematically biased against start-from-java solutions.

or are you just a little afraid of xstream?

> > your
> > >
> > > And my environment is pretty standard (it has commons
> > > logging and JDK 5.0).
> >
> > then why not actually clarify the statement so it's true?
>
> So, how the "default log level for BeanReader is INFO and
> it produces messages on the examples (and real code) which
> can be turned off only via configuration" is not clear?

clear but incorrect.

the default log level you are talking about is (i suspect but cannot be
sure without knowing your environment in detail) for java.util.logging
in 1.5. please correct the comment.

> > > JCK is not a major negative point as long as it
> *doesn't*
> > > produce results when everything is OK. If something's
> up -
> > > let me see it, if not - why should i care if some
> function
> > > had empty options popped from the stack? And that C24
> use
> > > of commons logging caused OutOfMemoryError since the
> > > logging infrastructure never released the resources
> (after
> > > about 8000 marshalings).
>
> > that's my point: you don't like JCL so why not say that?
>
> I suppose that JaxMe uses JCL. However, since nothing
> irrelevant is printed to the console, no mention of JCL is
> there. Only once it gets in the way, it is mentioned.

just for the record, jaxme uses log4j

> correct
> >
> > > Am i missing something to correct (silly me)?
>
> > yes (silly you)
>
> > the words you've chosen are inaccurate for two and could
> be better
> > chosen for a number of others. for someone who has a gift
> > for picking
> > out the documentation nits from other projects, it's a
> shame you don't
> > apply the same talent to your own...
>
> > but silly me as well: i tool the hard option and wasted
> my > time
> > engaging
> > with your very stupid little games.
>
> As said earlier, this is my last post, so there will be no
> need to respond to the above statements, not speaking about
> changing the evaluation of Betwixt (until real changes are
> made to address the issues).

as you have made clear in your FAQ your subjective rating are just that:
subjective. fine. all i care about is that you have several errors of
fact on your site which you refuse to correct (not just in betwixt but
also in some other summaries as well).

- robert

Re: [betwixt] Time and memory performance

Posted by Kirill Grouchnikov <ki...@yahoo.com>.
I'm soory, but i am really tired of this fruitless dispute.
This will be my last mail on below issues.

> > Take a look at
> > http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/betwixt/dependencies
> and
> > note the following line: " The following is a list of
> > dependencies for this project. These dependencies are
> > required to compile and run the application". It may be
> not
> > your fault, but once i want to use betwixt, i'm stuck
> with
> > all these jars.
>
> you're missing my point: resolver.jar and which.jar are
> not on that
> list. your summary is inaccurate. if you're going to take
> on the role of
> critique then it is important for your credibility that
> you make
> accurate comments in your summary.

Going from
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/betwixt/dependencies.html
to the link on xml commons and to its download section
http://xml.apache.org/mirrors.cgi . DL the
xml-commons-1.0.b2.tar.gz file. It contains three jars,
xml-apis.jar, resolver.jar and which.jar. Nowhere on
Betwixt site i've seen that i must take only xml-apis.jar.

> if your basic complaint is that the size of the
> dependency tree is a
> negative: great! just say that.

In "What are the factors that you use for "ease-of-use"
scoring?" section of FAQ you can see that distinct names of
jar files are part of rating. Number of jar files isn't.

> you could make great improvement to the site by
> separating out the
> advocacy and linking to it. you dislike the xml-commons
> stuff and think
> stuff should be better named: fine. put it in a link and
> say some simple
> and true like 'has a big dependency tree'.

Once again, nothing to do with big dependency tree. Only
with the file names.

> > > specifying
> > >
> > > this is inaccurate. betwixt does not require specific
> > > root tags.
> >
> > Taken from

http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/betwixt/guide/examples.html
> > :
> >
> > // Write example bean as base element 'person'
> > beanWriter.write("person", new PersonBean("John Smith",
> > 21));
> >
> > // Register beans so that betwixt knows what the xml is
> > be converted to
> > // Since the element mapped to a PersonBean isn't
> called
> > the same,
> > // need to register the path as well
> > beanReader.registerBeanClass("person",
> PersonBean.class);
>
> this describes how the example works.
>
> do you intend to replace your inaccurate line with
> something more
> accurate like: poor example code (or something).

Once again, going to "What are the factors that you use for
"ease-of-use" scoring?" section of FAQ - "Documentation
(not Javadocs)". If you have poor documentation, you have
poor library. Period.

> > If you remove setAccessible, you get access exception,
> but
> > with them (silly me), it works like magic.
>
> thanks for the information. i did ask you previously on
> the list but
> you've decided to play a little game, i see! how amusing
> :)

The little game that caused you to call me silly. That was
amusing for a couple of minutes, you must agree.

> > > marshaler
> > > values,
> > > unmarshaller
> > >
> > > i disagree (and i'm in good company). start-from-java
> > > binders typically
> > > adopt a do-what-you-can approach. this is why
> > > start-from-java binders do
> > > not guarantee to be able to round trip.
> >
> > Except that in this case you just could go all the way
> > (silly me for noticing this).
>
> no, silly me for thinking that you might actually be
> engaged in honest
> intelligent evaluation rather than submarine advocacy.

In its current state, Betwixt doesn't handle private static
inner classes correctly. This is a fact.

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 13:43 -0700, Kirill Grouchnikov wrote:
> [...]

> beanReader.registerBeanClass("person", PersonBean.class);

this describes how the example works.

do you intend to replace your inaccurate line with something more
accurate like: poor example code (or something).

> > > Once again, may sound petty, but why should i treat
> > root as
> > > something different? If the an object of the same class
> > > appears elsewhere in the hierarchy, you are not
> > requiring
> > > me to provide you the name, so what's different?
> >
> > it isn't different: dynamic binders make a guess and may
> > have to be
> > corrected through configuration
> >
> > > #   can not correctly handle private static inner
> > classes
> >
> > this is accurate but misleading. the java language
> > prevents
> > construction. don't you feel a little silly listing that

<snip>

> If you remove setAccessible, you get access exception, but
> with them (silly me), it works like magic.

thanks for the information. i did ask you previously on the list but
you've decided to play a little game, i see! how amusing :)

> > > I understand the reflection limitations, but the
> > marshaler
> > > goes half way (emits the attribute names, but not
> > values,
> > > and doesn't provide errors at all), while the
> > unmarshaller
> > > fails completely. It's either all go, or no go.
> >
> > i disagree (and i'm in good company). start-from-java
> > binders typically
> > adopt a do-what-you-can approach. this is why
> > start-from-java binders do
> > not guarantee to be able to round trip.
>
> Except that in this case you just could go all the way
> (silly me for noticing this).

no, silly me for thinking that you might actually be engaged in honest
intelligent evaluation rather than submarine advocacy.

> > IMO it would be much more illuminating if you listed the
> > natural
> > weaknesses of start-from-java binders (as you see them)
> > separately and
> > then just classify those which adopt this approach.
>
> How about a link from the main page at
> https://bindmark.dev.java.net/ (to Ronald Bourret site)?

your site does not try to apply any classify to them, though. Ronald
seems to take a little bit of an unusual way to do it but any
classification would be better than none.

> > > #   if ByteArrayOutputStream is used for marshaling,
> > the
> > > BeanWriter must be close()'d to see the xml, unlike
> > > StringWriter
> > > The documentation in its current state says nothing
> > about
> > > using BAOS and need to explicitly close BeanWriter. I
> > had
> > > to figure out this one by myself.
> >
> > inaccurate: *all* streams and readers should be closed.
>
> Back to
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/betwixt/guide/examples.html
> and write example. Can you spot a close() for me?

thanks for the spot. i'll add one.

Posted by Kirill Grouchnikov <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Robert,

> > #   xml-commons jar files (resolver.jar and which.jar)
> have
> > common names which can easily lead to jar name
> collision
> > The jar naming *is* a big concern once you start to use
> > open source libraries *and* your own. The names should
> be
> > clear and unequivocal.
>
> this is inaccurate: betwixt ships only one jar
> commons-betwixt.

Take a look at
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/betwixt/dependencies and
note the following line: " The following is a list of
dependencies for this project. These dependencies are
required to compile and run the application". It may be not
your fault, but once i want to use betwixt, i'm stuck with
all these jars.

> > #   the marshaler needs to explicitly add xml header
> > Call this petty, but why should i add this by myself?
>
> this is accurate but is a feature :)
>
> betwixt deals with fragments not documents

Ay

> > #   the marshaler and the unmarshaler require
> specifying
> > root xml tag name
>
> this is inaccurate. betwixt does not require specific
> root tags.

Taken from
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/betwixt/guide/examples.html
:

// Write example bean as base element 'person'
beanWriter.write("person", new PersonBean("John Smith",
21));

// Register beans so that betwixt knows what the xml is to
be converted to
// Since the element mapped to a PersonBean isn't called
the same,
// need to register the path as well
beanReader.registerBeanClass("person", PersonBean.class);

> > Once again, may sound petty, but why should i treat
> root as
> > something different? If the an object of the same class
> > appears elsewhere in the hierarchy, you are not
> requiring
> > me to provide you the name, so what's different?
>
> it isn't different: dynamic binders make a guess and may
> have to be
> corrected through configuration
>
> > #   can not correctly handle private static inner
> classes
>
> this is accurate but misleading. the java language
> prevents
> construction. don't you feel a little silly listing that
> as a negative
> point?

Have you ever heard of something called setAccessible()
function on a Method and a Constructor? You don't even have
to set your own SecurityManager with checkPermission
overriden:

  try {
    Class inClazz = Class.forName("test.Test$Inner");
    Constructor ctr = inClazz.getConstructor(new Class[0]);
    ctr.setAccessible(true);
    Object instance = ctr.newInstance(new Object[0]);
    System.out.println(instance.getClass().getName());
    Method getter = inClazz.getMethod("getMember", new
Class[0]);
    getter.setAccessible(true);
    Method setter = inClazz.getMethod("setMember",
	new Class[] { int.class });
    setter.setAccessible(true);
    setter.invoke(instance, new Object[] { new Integer(27)
});
    System.out.println(getter.invoke(instance, new
Object[0]));
  } catch (Exception exc) {
    exc.printStackTrace();
  }
}

where

package test;

public class Test {
  private static class Inner {
    private int member;

    public Inner() {
    }

    public int getMember() {
      return member;
    }

    public void setMember(int member) {
      this.member = member;
    }
  }
}

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Sun, 2005-08-07 at 07:06 -0700, Kirill Grouchnikov wrote:
> Robert,

kirill

Posted by Kirill Grouchnikov <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Robert,

> all dynamic binders by their nature require tuning.
> though your benchmarks are useful for generative binders,
> they not all
> that informative for the dynamic binders. all dynamic
> binders are slow
> (since they use reflection). what's crucial (for users)
> is whether they
> can be tuned. two sets of benchmarks (vanilla and tuned)
> would be more
> interesting and useful for the dynamic binders.

To see what exactly? That the default options of some

Posted by Kirill Grouchnikov <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Robert,

> it wasn't intended to be a personal attack. as i said
> off-list, i decide
> to give you the benefit of the doubt though others may
> not. if you
> really want to achieve the gaols you state, then i'd
> recommend that you
> adopt a more positive attitude.

Still hadn't seen any doubts (and this discussion is
getting older every minute of it) - see my previous mails.
The attitude remains realistic.

> you've picked up a few things missing from the
> documentation. thanks for
> that.

I'd say more than a few.

> i had hoped that in return i might help to open your mind
> a little to
> other approaches to data binding. there is a real lack of
> knowledge out
> there about which general approaches are most appropriate
> to which
> problems. i had hoped that you might be able to step up
> and but that
> will mean casting aside the advocacy but maybe i've just
> been wasting my
> time...

If you really want to see an open approach to data binding
(gee, i've coded and tested twenty different libraries, i
guess i really need help opening my mind), take a look at
JAXB 2.0. Not only it generates classes from XSD / DTD /
RelaxNG schemas which can then be marshaled / unmarshaled.
It can take *any* Java class (annotated or not) and marshal
it to XML and back (i believe that's what you call a
dynamic approach). If you were looking for a single reason
why JAXB 2.0 got 10 out of 10 - this is it.

In addition, in our world of inter-systems communication,
data is king. It doesn't matter what you do with it, and in
what language, as long as you don't corrupt it or change
it.  You argue that dynamic (reflection-based) libraries
are more flexible. How about the following:
1. The format for get/set pairs is very inflexible.
2. If attribute-based approach is taken, a configuration
file must be supplied in order to omit some attributes /
classes from being marshaled. Take JXDM data (over 8.5 MB
of schemas). That would be mighty plenty of configuration
files to (manually) write and maintain.
3. What would it take to switch from Betwixt to say, JiBX
or XStream *and* maintain the data format? Conf file for
every class and attribute? That's the best scenario. The
worst - you wouldn't be able to. Welcome to schema-based
world.
4. JAXB 2.0 - generated classes can be manually edited (or
extended if you like) without changes to underlying data
format. The marshaler will simply ignore your additional
attributes.

BindMark project was not created to help people storing
20-line XML config file on a local system. Who would care
that it takes 500ms instead of 20ms if it happens only
once. I'm talking about real-world business systems that
handle thousands of XML transaction per minute and work
with external system with rigid contracts?

Data is king.

Kirill

Re: [betwixt] Time and memory performance

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Kirill Grouchnikov <ki...@yahoo.com>.

[1] https://bindmark.dev.java.net/faq.html

Re: [betwixt] Time and memory performance

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Posted by Kirill Grouchnikov <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Robert,

[...]

--- robert burrell donkin

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.

Re: [betwixt] Sample code not working

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 08:34 -0700, Kirill Grouchnikov wrote:
> So, two things that finally made the code work:
>
> 1. Betwixt can not handle private static inner classes as
> beans, only public static inner classes.

betwixt uses standard java reflection to create classes. AFAIK private
inner classes cannot be created by reflection. does anyone know a trick
that does this?

> This is true even
> if the marshalling is done in the outer class which has
> immediate access to its private static class.

AIUI the code in which the call is initiated is not relevant for
security when using reflection: only the security manager.

> Is it a bug?

that depends on what you mean :)

it's certainly a limitation but not an unexpected one. i'd like to be
able to add support for private inner classes but i don't know the trick
(and won't spend much time looking at a problem that i suspect has no
solution)...

> 2. Using ByteArrayOutputStream as an underlying stream for
> BeanWriter requires closing the BeanWriter (unlike the case
> with StringWriter) to produce the XML.

have you tried calling flush or close on the beanwriter?

> Is it a bug?

probably not.

you can write more than one bean to the same stream therefore betwixt
does not flush the stream until requested. you should call close or
flush on bean write (or on the stream) when you're done.

probably this should be in the documentation, though. anyone want to
submit a patch?

> 3. Why the default configuration of BeanReader produces
> INFO messages?

good question :)

i was wondering that myself. i'm of the opinion that users should ignore
messages of INFO and below unless they are trying to diagnose a problem.
so, you should not be concerned about INFO messages. i suspect that most
of the other developers who've worked on betwixt think in a similar
fashion. i don't think that this is written down anywhere, though.

creating a logging policy then going through and ensuring that the
logging is high quality is certainly a task that needs to be done before
a betwixt 1.0 can be produce. i'll add this to the task list.

this should be pretty easy (and educational). any volunteers?

>  Why do i need to see them, and how do i
> change the log level *programatically (without property
> file)* not to see them?

betwixt uses JCL (http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging) which is a
thin bridging API. configuration of the log output is left entire to the
logging system bridged to. so, you need to figure which logging system
JCL is bridging to then work out whether and how you can change the
settings of that logging system programatically.

if you don't explicitly configure JCL then it will try to guess which
logging system you're using and bridge to that automatically. if have
log4j on the classpath, that'll be used otherwise if you're using java
1.4+ then java.util logging will be used. for more details, read the JCL
documentation.

- robert

Re: [betwixt] Sample code not working

Posted by Kirill Grouchnikov <ki...@yahoo.com>.
So, two things that finally made the code work:

1. Betwixt can not handle private static inner classes as
beans, only public static inner classes. This is true even
if the marshalling is done in the outer class which has
immediate access to its private static class. Is it a bug?

2. Using ByteArrayOutputStream as an underlying stream for
BeanWriter requires closing the BeanWriter (unlike the case
with StringWriter) to produce the XML. Is it a bug?

3. Why the default configuration of BeanReader produces
INFO messages? Why do i need to see them, and how do i
change the log level *programatically (without property
file)* not to see them?

Thanks
Kirill

Posted by Kirill Grouchnikov <ki...@yahoo.com>.
Robert

> i think that dion was trying to establish whether it's
> the local
> environment. if you're building from source then running
> the tests is a
> good way to discover whether everything's ok. since
> you're using a
> binary, is it the latest release (0.7)?

I'm using 0.7 binaries.

> which sample code?

The one from

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Wed, 2005-08-03 at 23:48 -0700, Kirill Grouchnikov wrote:
> Should i be running the tests?

i think that dion was trying to establish whether it's the local
environment. if you're building from source then running the tests is a
good way to discover whether everything's ok. since you're using a
binary, is it the latest release (0.7)?

> I've downloaded betwixt and
> all dependencies (commons, xml, ...), and ran the sample
> code for writing bean to xml and reading bean from xml.

which sample code?

Posted by Kirill Grouchnikov <ki...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Dion Gillard <di...@gmail.com>.
Sure. Do you know if the tests work or not?

On 8/4/05, Kirill Grouchnikov <ki...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Isn't anybody worried that the new Betwixt release doesn't
> work on examples provided with it (not to speak of the real
> objects)?

Bernard Shaw