Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/23 22:18:13 UTC

[VOTE] release 3.3

Artifacts here:

http://s.apache.org/lusolr33rc0

working release notes here:

http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseNote33
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote33

I ran the automated release test script in
trunk/dev-tools/scripts/smokeTestRelease.py, and ran 'ant test' at the
top level 50 times on windows.
Here is my +1

RE: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Here the patch to fix the test bug, it's really a test bug - found thanks to Java 5. It was even wrong to use length(), correct would be size() for both and only use the minimum of both as allocation strategy may not be equal.

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen
http://www.thetaphi.de
Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Re: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:
> Hi Yonik, I wrote atestcase that checks how prevSetBit behaves, if I add you
> patch with optimization. It still had a bug, if the index is beyond last
> word but not at a multiple of bitsPerWord.

Ahh, right, good catch! You want to start at the last bit rather than
calculate the bit via MOD in that case.

> Your additional optimization with negative indexes is invalid,

Well, invalid if negative indexes are valid.

> because on
> negative indexes prevSetBit() must be negative. If we don’t do this, a
> typical loop like would AIOOBE:
>
> for (int i = bs.prevSetBit(0); i >= 0; i = bs.prevSetBit(i-1)) {
>     // operate on index i here
>  }

Yep, that makes sense to allow.

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

RE: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi Yonik, I wrote atestcase that checks how prevSetBit behaves, if I add you
patch with optimization. It still had a bug, if the index is beyond last
word but not at a multiple of bitsPerWord. The following code is correct:

  public int prevSetBit(int index) {
    int i = index >> 6;
    final int subIndex;
    if (i >= wlen) {
      i = wlen - 1;
      if (i < 0) return -1;
      subIndex = 0x3f; // last possible bit
    } else {
      if (i < 0) return -1;
      subIndex = index & 0x3f;      // index within the word
    }
    long word = (bits[i] << (63-subIndex));  // skip all the bits to the
left of index

    if (word != 0) {
      return (i << 6) + subIndex - Long.numberOfLeadingZeros(word); // See
LUCENE-3197
    }

    while (--i >= 0) {
      word = bits[i];
      if (word !=0 ) {
        return (i << 6) + 63 - Long.numberOfLeadingZeros(word);
      }
    }

    return -1;
  }

Your additional optimization with negative indexes is invalid, because on

<yo...@lucidimagination.com>

RE: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Yonik,

You are the best. If you look at the test, its also broken somehow, because
it uses length vs. size() wrong (I already reopened the
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-3179 issue).

And please stop ranting about Java 5, it helped to find a bug in this impl,
its really broken as OpenBitSet always allows indexes >= size (except fast*
methods).

Uwe

-----

Re: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.

Re: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>.
I just took a quick peek at the prevBitSet, and the implementation
looks buggy (provided that it's legal for a user to pass an "i" that
may be greater than the largest bit ever set).

Here is the current code, which will cause an exception when wlen==0.
 public int prevSetBit(int index) {
    if (index < 0) {
      return -1;
    }
    int i = index>>6;
    if (i >= wlen) {
      i = wlen - 1;
    }

Re: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
And -Xint and -client

RE: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

RE: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Re: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

RE: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

RE: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.

Re: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 10:43 AM, Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de> wrote:

> So this release candidate is in my opinion broken! -1 to release.

just to respond, thank you for running all these tests!!!! however,

The multilevelskiplist thing is a test bug, the tests do not all
guarantee to support iter > 1,
this is an unsupported option for developers to easily 'beast' tests
but its not required.

However, for this test I fixed this by resetting its static counter:

+  public void setUp() throws Exception {
+    super.setUp();
+    PayloadFilter.count = 0;
+  }

The openbitset thing, is a bug in java 5... and this is not supported.

So I strongly disagree that the release candidate is broken!

Seems like the only thing broken is java5!

RE: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Uwe Schindler <uw...@thetaphi.de>.
Hi,

I run some smoke tests yesterday on the Lucene 2.9/3.0 release machine I used. The machine runs Java 1.5.0_22, Solaris x64, Opteron 16 cores. One of the tests was already fixed by Robert (I told him yesterday because it was always failing).

The others are maybe serious, maybe not:

[junit] Testsuite: org.apache.lucene.index.TestMultiLevelSkipList
    [junit] Testcase: testSimpleSkip(org.apache.lucene.index.TestMultiLevelSkipList):	FAILED
    [junit] Wrong payload for the target 14: -106 expected:<14> but was:<-106>
    [junit] junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: Wrong payload for the target 14: -106 expected:<14> but was:<-106>
    [junit] 	at org.apache.lucene.index.TestMultiLevelSkipList.checkSkipTo(TestMultiLevelSkipList.java:87)
    [junit] 	at org.apache.lucene.index.TestMultiLevelSkipList.testSimpleSkip(TestMultiLevelSkipList.java:66)
    [junit] 	at org.apache.lucene.util.LuceneTestCase$LuceneTestCaseRunner.runChild(LuceneTestCase.java:1272)
    [junit] 	at org.apache.lucene.util.LuceneTestCase$LuceneTestCaseRunner.runChild(LuceneTestCase.java:1190)

Re: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Shalin Shekhar Mangar <sh...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 1:48 AM, Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Artifacts here:
>
> http://s.apache.org/lusolr33rc0
>
> working release notes here:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/ReleaseNote33
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/ReleaseNote33

Thanks for leading this release Robert.

I compared SolrJ's pom.xml with past releases and I noticed that since
v3.1.0, SolrJ has a dependency on lucene-core. I'm not sure why SolrJ needs
that dependency. Also in v3.1, SolrJ had a test dependency on
solr-test-framework but it was removed in v3.2.

I have been missing from the action since Solr v1.4 so I'm not sure if those
changes were intentional or mistakes.

Shalin Shekhar Mangar.

Re: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
+1

Tommaso

Re: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Chris Male <ge...@gmail.com>.
+1

Thanks for pulling the release together Robert.

Chris Male | Software Developer | JTeam BV.| www.jteam.nl

Re: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
+1

Re: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.
Ok, thanks Robert. This is a trivial correction. I didn't find log4j
refs. anywhere under contrib/clustering (just to make sure), so I
think it won't break anything.

Dawid

Re: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.

Re: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Dawid Weiss <da...@cs.put.poznan.pl>.

Re: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Robert Muir <rc...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Jun 24, 2011 at 2:15 AM, Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu> wrote:
> +1
>
> I did the following:
>
> - compared the Solr & Lucene binary .zip and .tgz archives' contents for any differences (other than line endings)
> - skimmed Changes.html for generation problems
> - looked at random pages from each module's javadocs
> - ran the Lucene demo, indexed and searched
> - ran the Solr example server, indexed and searched
> - eyeballed all modules' Maven artifacts & sanity checked their POMs
> - ran all tests from the Solr & Lucene source tarballs, separately

Thanks Steven, these look like good checks, and I think as much as
possible it would be great if we can add any of these to the
'smokeTestRelease.py' script in dev-tools/scripts (e.g. startup solr,
index the example docs and do a search).

I could also imagine sometime soon we might even want to have this
release-tester testing nightly builds or something, so we catch
problems continuously.

> Two non-release-blocking nits:
>
> 1. In the Solr source tarball, solr/example/README.txt recommends using the command "./post.sh *.xml" from solr/example/exampledocs/, but post.sh does not have executable permissions.  In the binary tarball, however, post.sh has executable permissions.
>
> 2. I checked the source for references to older versions, and I found the following; I think these just point to a missing item in the release todo (post-branching), and should not block the release:

I took care of these: the deprecations are already nuked in trunk, and
I don't think we achieve a ton by nuking them in a 3.x minor release.
As far as the demo links, these were totally broken links, so i
replaced them with a description of what the thing is doing (seems
more useful)

RE: [VOTE] release 3.3

Posted by Steven A Rowe <sa...@syr.edu>.
+1