Posted to general@gump.apache.org by "Adam R. B. Jack" <aj...@trysybase.com> on 2004/06/10 17:47:53 UTC

Ought we consider a Gump on Brutus running JDK1.5?

As more and more people go there, it'll get more and more painful for us not
to be.

Berin's post made me think of this:

http://jroller.com/page/bloritsch/20040610#re_eintering_the_cocoon

regards,

Adam
--
Experience the Unwired Enterprise:
http://www.sybase.com/unwiredenterprise

Re: Ought we consider a Gump on Brutus running JDK1.5?

Posted by Leo Simons <ls...@jicarilla.org>.
Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> As more and more people go there, it'll get more and more painful for us not
> to be.

yep.

Gump has pretty much always took a "latest of everything" approach.
Changing that will be difficult. For example, I remember having to
upgrade from j2sdk_1.4.2_03 to 1.4.2_04 because xerces (was it xerces?)
wouldn't build otherwise.

The problem right now is that lots of stuff won't work against jdk 1.5
(like Berin writes). I hope that with the final release that will be
less true. I like Brett's suggestion of waiting for 1.5 final.

cheers,

- Leo

Re: Ought we consider a Gump on Brutus running JDK1.5?

Posted by Michael Davey <Mi...@coderage.org>.
Niclas Hedhman wrote:

>On Thursday 10 June 2004 23:47, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
>

>>As more and more people go there, it'll get more and more painful for us
>>not to be.
>>

>Shouldn't each project declare which JDK version to use for the build?

I think a long-term goal could be for projects to declare minimum and
maximum java versions and gumps to define in workspace.xml which
versions of java are available (and where).  Once we get to a
distributed or cascading gump model, the server component could describe
work to do including java version to be used and the client components
could look for work that they are able to undertake according to the
java versions they have available.

--
Michael

Re: Ought we consider a Gump on Brutus running JDK1.5?

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Thursday 10 June 2004 23:47, Adam R. B. Jack wrote:
> As more and more people go there, it'll get more and more painful for us
> not to be.

Shouldn't each project declare which JDK version to use for the build?

Niclas
--
  / http://www.bali.ac        /