Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org> on 2003/02/05 11:03:56 UTC

request cvs renaming (was: Re: cvs repository symlink)

Hi Brian,

I guess this slipped through your busy schedule. Could you find some
time or someone to do this:

a) renaming /home/cvs/jakarta-avalon[-$foo] to /home/cvs/avalon[-$foo]
b) putting something temporary in the cvs/modules file that when someone
   goes to update or commit under the old name, tells them to go to the
   new one.
c) chgrp'ing /home/cvs/avalon-* to group "avalon", which all of you are
   in.
d) for now, making sure that commits to the avalon modules goes to the
   "right place" at the avalon-*-cvs@jakarta lists, but eventually moving
   that to *-cvs@avalon.apache.org.

thanks!

- Leo

Re: request cvs renaming (was: Re: cvs repository symlink)

Posted by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> One more thing to do...
>
> e) update the ViewCVS configuration so it knows about the changes.
> Currently, it shows the following errors:
> -----------
> jakarta-avalon - this entry is unreadable
> jakarta-avalon-apps - this entry is unreadable
> jakarta-avalon-cornerstone - this entry is unreadable
> jakarta-avalon-excalibur - this entry is unreadable
> jakarta-avalon-logkit - this entry is unreadable
> jakarta-avalon-phoenix - this entry is unreadable
> jakarta-avalon-site - this entry is unreadable
> jakarta-avalon-testlet - this entry is unreadable
> jakarta-ojb - this entry is unreadable
> jakarta-turbine-torque - this entry is unreadable
>
> NOTE: One or more files were unreadable. The files in the CVS repository
> should be readable by the web server process. Please report this
> condition to the administrator of this CVS repository.
> -----------
> and it doesn't show the renamed modules.

Fixed.

- Sam Ruby

Re: request cvs renaming (was: Re: cvs repository symlink)

Re: request cvs renaming (was: Re: cvs repository symlink)

Posted by Leo Simons <le...@apache.org>.
Commit messages from new module
-------------------------------
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at apache.org.

Date: 5 Feb 2003 22:44:28 -0000
From: leosimons@apache.org
To: avalon-cvs@apache.org
Subject: cvs commit: avalon README.txt

leosimons    2003/02/05 14:44:28

   Modified:    .        README.txt
   Log:
   testing cvs repository move....
<snip/>
---
This doesn't work properly. The address is supposed to be
avalon-cvs@jakarta.apache.org. My guess is you made a typo renaming some
.qmail files?

Checkout of old module name
---------------------------
[lsimons@LSD cvs]$ cvs -d leosimons@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvs co
jakarta-avalon
cvs server: cannot find module
`avalon_repositories_have_moved_-_try_avalon-*' - ignored
cvs [checkout aborted]: cannot expand modules
[lsimons@LSD cvs]$
---
is ok with me :D

Checkout of new module
----------------------
[lsimons@LSD cvs]$ cvs -d leosimons@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvs co avalon
---
works fine.

Committing to old module
------------------------
In C:\gump\cvs\jakarta-avalon: cvs -q commit -m "testing cvs repository
move...." README.txt
CVSROOT=leosimons@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvs

cvs server: failed to create lock directory for
`/home/cvs/jakarta-avalon' (/home/cvs/jakarta-avalon/#cvs.lock): No such
file or directory
cvs server: lock failed - giving up
cvs [server aborted]: lock failed - giving up

Error, CVS operation failed
---
the error message is a little obscure, but I think everyone is informed
of the change so it should be ok.

Committing to new module
------------------------
In C:\gump\cvs\avalon: cvs -q commit -m "testing cvs repository
move...." README.txt
CVSROOT=leosimons@cvs.apache.org:/home/cvs

Checking in README.txt;
/home/cvs/avalon/README.txt,v  <--  README.txt
done
Mailing the commit message...

Success, CVS operation completed
---
works fine.

cheers!

- Leo

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@collab.net>.
On Wed, 5 Feb 2003, Leo Simons wrote:
> I guess this slipped through your busy schedule. Could you find some
> time or someone to do this:
>
> a) renaming /home/cvs/jakarta-avalon[-$foo] to /home/cvs/avalon[-$foo]

Done.  Note that there's a repos now called "/home/cvs/avalon" - not a
problem, just be aware.  The "avail" file has been updated with the new
location too.

> b) putting something temporary in the cvs/modules file that when someone
>    goes to update or commit under the old name, tells them to go to the
>    new one.

Let me know if what I put there makes sense.

> c) chgrp'ing /home/cvs/avalon-* to group "avalon", which all of you are
>    in.

Done.