Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Ryan Bloom <rb...@covalent.net> on 2001/09/04 15:40:03 UTC

Re: cvs commit: httpd-2.0/server util_filter.c

On Monday 03 September 2001 23:57, jerenkrantz@apache.org wrote:
> jerenkrantz    01/09/03 23:57:58
>
>   Modified:    server   util_filter.c
>   Log:
>   **NO CODE CHANGES**
>   This is a reformat commit *ONLY*
>   Please drive on through.
>
>   (One spelling tpyo fixed...)

Didn't we decide a LONG time ago not to do this unless it was absolutely
necessary?  Format changes just add cruft to the CVS logs.  I have noticed
a lot of changes to the format in this patch that were more opinion than code
style.  For example, the ap_pass_brigade declaration.  We had three characters
wrapping to the next line, but this patch split it into two lines.  That was
unnecessary.

Formatting changes should only be committed to CVS if you are about to do
a major re-writing of the code, and need the style to be changed for read-ability.
And even then, it is a bad idea, because it makes it much harder to actually
trace through the history, because we have a useless patch in the middle
of the history of the file.

Ryan

Ryan Bloom				rbb@apache.org