Posted to users@felix.apache.org by Sahoo <sa...@oracle.com> on 2012/06/27 13:19:15 UTC

How to configure bnd to generate substitutable exports for all packages

When I use maven-bundle-plugin 2.3.7, it seems to be a version of bnd
that's smartly calculating the list of substitutable export packages. I
am not convinced that it can correctly calculate such a list. So, I
would like to configure it the old way, i.e., to make it generate
Import-Package for every Exported-Package. How do I configure? I tried
saying:
<Export-Package>xyz; -noimport:=false</Export-Package>
but that didn't help.

Thanks,
Sahoo

Re: How to configure bnd to generate substitutable exports for all packages

Posted by Sahoo <sa...@oracle.com>.
On Wednesday 27 June 2012 07:13 PM, Neil Bartlett wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Stuart McCulloch<mc...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On 27 Jun 2012, at 12:19, Sahoo wrote:
>>
>>> When I use maven-bundle-plugin 2.3.7, it seems to be a version of bnd that's smartly calculating the list of substitutable export packages. I am not convinced that it can correctly calculate such a list. So, I would like to configure it the old way, i.e., to make it generate Import-Package for every Exported-Package. How do I configure? I tried saying:
>>> <Export-Package>xyz; -noimport:=false</Export-Package>
>>> but that didn't help.
>> I don't know of a way to override this (except by explicitly adding entries to Import-Package) but then again I haven't heard of an occasion where it went wrong.
>>
>> Probably best to raise this on the bnd issues page at https://github.com/bndtools/bnd/issues ... especially since they're very close to cutting the next release.
> I agree with Stuart. If you have a test case showing this failing then
> there is a very good chance we will get it fixed in the 2.0 release.

I can't really call it a bug. It's a garbage in garbage out case.
I think one of the rules it uses to decide whether to generate
substitutable export is that if no private package uses an exported
package, then there is no need to import the package. Consider this:

bundle b1-1:
Export-Package: p2

bundle b1-2:
Export-Package p2; uses:=p1

bundle b2:
Export-Package: p1
Import-Package: p2

When metadata for b2 is being generated using new bnd, if b1-1 is in
classpath, then new bnd won't think it is necessary to make p1 a
substitutable export. But then such a bundle won't work when b1-2 is the
only provider for p2.

I know one can attribute the problem to bad metadata of b1-1, but that's
what exactly my point. I need a configuration option from bnd. I thought
Peter Kriens was watching this forum, so I didn't post the question in
bnd forum.

Posted by Neil Bartlett <nj...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 1:23 PM, Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 Jun 2012, at 12:19, Sahoo wrote:
>
>> When I use maven-bundle-plugin 2.3.7, it seems to be a version of bnd that's smartly calculating the list of substitutable export packages. I am not convinced that it can correctly calculate such a list. So, I would like to configure it the old way, i.e., to make it generate Import-Package for every Exported-Package. How do I configure? I tried saying:
>> <Export-Package>xyz; -noimport:=false</Export-Package>
>> but that didn't help.
>
> I don't know of a way to override this (except by explicitly adding entries to Import-Package) but then again I haven't heard of an occasion where it went wrong.
>
> Probably best to raise this on the bnd issues page at https://github.com/bndtools/bnd/issues ... especially since they're very close to cutting the next release.

I agree with Stuart. If you have a test case showing this failing then
there is a very good chance we will get it fixed in the 2.0 release.

Regards
Neil

Posted by Stuart McCulloch <mc...@gmail.com>.