Posted to user@xmlbeans.apache.org by "Murphy, Eric" <er...@pfc.cfs.nrcan.gc.ca> on 2004/07/01 00:50:02 UTC

Xpath and shema element declarations

XmlBeans -

XmlObject.selectPath(query) returns an array of XmlAnyTypeImpl
when the schema is created with anonymous complex types.  These objects
cannot be cast into the object I want.

If in my schema I declare:

  <element type="xbeans:top_element" name="top_element"/>
  <complexType name="top_element">
    <sequence>
      <element type="xbeans:second_level" name="second_level" maxOccurs="3"
minOccurs="1"/>
    </sequence>
    <attribute name="top_attr" type="string" use="required"/>
  </complexType>

when using select path I will be returned an array of type TopElements. This
is what I want.

However if I declare (or worse if someone else declares) top element this
way:

  <element name="top_element">
    <complexType>
      <sequence>
        <element type="xbeans:second_level" name="second_level"
maxOccurs="3" minOccurs="1"/>
      </sequence>
      <attribute name="top_attr" type="string" use="required"/>
    </complexType>
  </element>

and I use selectPath(query) I will be returned an array of XmlAnyTypeImpl.
There
does not seem to be a way to turn any of these objects into the type I want.

Does selectPath(String) depend on the schema being created a particular way
to function?

Eric Murphy
Software Developer (NFIS)

erimurph@pfc.forestry.ca