Posted to user@nutch.apache.org by Annona Keene <an...@yahoo.com> on 2007/07/05 18:17:18 UTC

Searching multiple languages

I've poked around the archives, but I didn't find anything that addressed a situation like mine, so maybe someone has some advice/insight.

I have a site where some, but not all, of the pages are translated to Japanese.  Currently, we are only indexing/searching the English pages, but we're looking to implement something in Japanese.

Ultimately, we want a Japanese user to be able to enter a Japanese search term and get Japanese results.  We also want the Japanese user to be able to enter an English word and get Japanese and English results. The only English pages returned would be those without Japanese translations. That's the piece with which I'm struggling.

Should I maintain 2 indexes, English and Japanese, and query them both when a Japanese user enters an English word, then remove all English results with Japanese translations? Or do I merge the indexes somehow, deleting English pages that have been translated to Japanese? Or is there some third option that I'm missing entirely? Has anyone ever done something similar to this? I'm very interested in any input you might have to offer.

Thanks,
Ann