Posted to dev@beam.apache.org by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com> on 2018/06/30 06:15:02 UTC

Beam's recent community development work

Hi all,

The ASF board suggested that we (Beam) share some of what we've been doing
for community development with dev@community.apache.org and
members@apache.org. So here is a long description. I have included
dev@beam.apache.org because it is the subject, really, and this is & should
be all public knowledge.

We would love feedback! We based a lot of this on reading the community
project site, and probably could have learned even more with more study.

# Background

We face two problems in our contributor/committer-base:

1. Not enough committers to review all the code being contributed, in part
due to recent departure of a few committers
2. We want our contributor-base (hence committer-base) to be more spread
across companies and backgrounds, for the usual Apache reasons. Our user
base is not active and varied enough to make this automatic. One solution
is to make the right software to get a varied user base, but that is a
different thread :-) so instead we have to work hard to build our community
around the software we have.

# What we did

## Committer guidelines

We published committer guidelines [1] for transparency and as an
invitation. We start by emphasizing that there are many kinds of
contributions, not just code (we have committers from community
development, tech writing, training, etc). Then we have three aspects:

1. ASF code of conduct
2. ASF committer responsibilities
3. Beam-specific committer responsibilities

The best way to understand is to follow the link at the bottom of this
email. The important part is that you shouldn't be proposing a committer
for other reasons, and you shouldn't be blocking a committer for other
reasons.

## Instead of just "[DISCUSS] Potential committer XYZ" we discuss every
layer

Gris (CC'd) outlined this: people go through these phases of relationship
with our project:

1. aware of it
2. interested in it / checking it out
3. using it for real
4. first-time contributor
5. repeat contributor
6. committer
7. PMC

As soon as we notice someone, like a user asking really deep questions, we
invite discussion on private@ on how we can move them to the next level of
engagement.

## Monthly cadence

Every ~month, we call for new discussions and revisit ~all prior
discussions. This way we do not forget to keep up this effort.

## Individual discussions

For each person we have a separate thread on private@. This ensures we have
quality focused discussions that lead to feedback. In collective
discussions that we used to do, we often didn't really come up with
actionable feedback and ended up not even contacting potential committers
to encourage them. And consensus was much less clear.

## Feedback!

If someone is brought up for a discussion, that means they got enough
attention that we hope to engage them more. But unsolicited feedback is
never a good idea. For a potential committer, we did this:

1. Send an email saying something like "you were discussed as a potential
committer - do you want to become one? do you want feedback?"
2. If they say yes (so far everyone) we send a few bullet points from the
discussion and *most important* tie each bullet to the committer
guidelines. If we have no feedback about which guidelines were a concern,
that is a red flag that we are being driven by bias.

We saw a *very* significant increase in engagement from those we sent
feedback to, and the trend is that they almost all will become committers
over time.

## Results

 - Q1 we had no process and we added no new committers or PMC members.
 - Q2 when we tried these new things we added 7 committers and 1 PMC
member, with ~3~4 obvious committer candidates for next time around, plus
positive feedback from other contributors, spread across five companies.

We've had a pretty major uptick in building Beam as a result.

## Review-then-commit

We are dedicated to RTC as the best way to build software. Reviews not only
make the code better, but (with apologies to ASF/GNU differences) as RMS
says "The fundamental act of friendship among programmers is the sharing of
programs" and reviews are where we do that.

As a minor point, we also changed our "review-then-commit" policy to
require that *either* the reviewer or the author be a committer. Previously
the reviewer had to be a committer. Rationale: if we trust someone as a
committer, we should trust their choice of reviewer. This also helps the
community, as it engages non-committers as reviewers.

----

If you made it through this long email, thanks for reading!

Kenn

[1] https://beam.apache.org/contribute/become-a-committer/

Re: Beam's recent community development work

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.
Very interesting! I especially like the different levels of engagement and
beam committers actively engaging potential committers to mentor them
towards reaching the next level. This fact together with the feedback loop
sounds like a very promising and encouraging system.

Thanks a lot Yasser and Kenneth for sharing it!

-Marco

Yasser Zamani <ya...@apache.org> schrieb am Sa., 30. Juni 2018,
10:20:

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@googlemail.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Marco de Abreu <ma...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Yasser Zamani <ya...@apache.org>.

Posted by Matei Zaharia <ma...@gmail.com>.
I think telling people that they’re being considered as committers early on is a good idea, but AFAIK we’ve always had individual committers do that with contributors who were doing great work in various areas. We don’t have a centralized process for it though — it’s up to whoever wants to work with each contributor.

Matei

Posted by Reynold Xin <rx...@databricks.com>.

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.

Fwd: Beam's recent community development work

Posted by Sean Owen <sr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 10:35 PM Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 8:51 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >... Feel free to draft your blog post and we can then review and publish!
> I've drafted it....

Thank you, I reviewed [1] and it looks great to me!

I have just 3 minor comments:

-Add a link to the committer guidelines that you mention
-IIUC when you say "Every ~month" it means "about every month" - that
was not obvious to me initially
-for RTC and CTR you might link to
https://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html

-Bertrand

[1] https://blogs.apache.org/roller-ui/authoring/preview/comdev/?previewEntry=an-approach-to-community-building

Re: Beam's recent community development work

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Kenneth Knowles wrote on 2/22/19 12:31 AM:
> Re-reading the earlier feedback and starting point, it sounds like:
>
>  - the post was generally approved of, assuming comments were addressed
>  - there's not an established process for this sort of thing
>  - the PMC agreed to give me authoring access
>
> So I will suggest that lazy consensus is good here. I will wait a bit
> longer, but would love to hit "publish" before the weekend.

Yes, please just publish.  I'll even say +1!  But this is just a blog
post that people have had plenty of time to review, so go do it!

Last-minute ideas:

- You might link to another article on the contributor funnel, to
provide readers with a broader perspective.  This is becoming a popular
concept for focusing on project growth:

https://mikemcquaid.com/2018/08/14/the-open-source-contributor-funnel-why-people-dont-contribute-to-your-open-source-project/

- I don't know if you want to briefly introduce the RTC paragraph.  It
feels like it suddenly shows up after all the points about how you work
to encourage people.  It's definitely a good ending - especially how it
ties into engaging newcomers who do reviews - but doesn't quite flow.

Feel free to ignore those suggestions and just publish, too. 8-)

--

- Shane
  Director & Member

Re: Beam's recent community development work

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
Done. And I did rephrase the bit about RTC to make it fit in better.

Posted by "sroffromen@gmail.com" <sr...@gmail.com>.
Google.com

Sent from my ASUS

Posted by "sroffromen@gmail.com" <sr...@gmail.com>.

Sent from my ASUS

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 4, 2019 at 10:35 PM Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 8:51 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <
> bdelacretaz@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> > >... Feel free to draft your blog post and we can then review and
> publish!
> > I've drafted it....
>
> Thank you, I reviewed [1] and it looks great to me!
>
> I have just 3 minor comments:
>
> -Add a link to the committer guidelines that you mention

The first sentence of the paragraph on that was a link. Something about my
source is making most links not render. I got this one working, but many
others are not. I'll figure that out...

> -IIUC when you say "Every ~month" it means "about every month" - that
> was not obvious to me initially

Changed to "about every month"

> -for RTC and CTR you might link to
> https://www.apache.org/foundation/glossary.html

Done (but link is not yet working per above)

> -Bertrand

On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 5:11 PM Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I realize that this message might be hard to read since copy/paste
> formatting is gone. So here goes my attempt to clarify...
>
> On Jan 7, 2019, at 8:28 AM, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Kenn,
>
> Thanks for contributing this. I think it's a nice introduction to Beam's
> community building efforts.
>
> Here are a couple of comments:
>
> > We want our contributor-base (hence committer-base) to be more spread
> across companies and backgrounds, for the usual Apache reasons.
>
> I'd elaborate instead of saying "for the usual Apache reasons". Which
> reasons are important to Beam?

Done.

> > (we have committers from community development, tech writing, training,
> etc).
>
> I'd make this a sentence of its own.

Agree. Done.

> > you shouldn't be proposing a committer for other reasons,
>
> I don't understand "for other reasons".
>
> > Every ~month, we call for new discussions and revisit ~all prior
> discussions.
>
> I find the "~" to be distracting. Words please.

Done.

> For a potential committer, we did this:
>
> It's not clear to me when a person becomes a potential committer. Is it in
> the "repeat contributor" phase?
>
> > For an early contributor,
>
> Perhaps move this paragraph above the "For a potential committer"
> paragraph?

Done. I think re-ordering and slight rephrase helped.

> ~3~4 obvious committer candidates

> As above, remove "~".

Done. "a few"

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
I realize that this message might be hard to read since copy/paste formatting is gone. So here goes my attempt to clarify...

On Jan 7, 2019, at 8:28 AM, Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Kenn,

Thanks for contributing this. I think it's a nice introduction to Beam's community building efforts.

Here are a couple of comments:

> We want our contributor-base (hence committer-base) to be more spread across companies and backgrounds, for the usual Apache reasons.

I'd elaborate instead of saying "for the usual Apache reasons". Which reasons are important to Beam?

> (we have committers from community development, tech writing, training, etc).

I'd make this a sentence of its own.

> you shouldn't be proposing a committer for other reasons,

I don't understand "for other reasons".

> Every ~month, we call for new discussions and revisit ~all prior discussions.

I find the "~" to be distracting. Words please.

> For a potential committer, we did this:

It's not clear to me when a person becomes a potential committer. Is it in the "repeat contributor" phase?

> For an early contributor,

Perhaps move this paragraph above the "For a potential committer" paragraph?

> ~3~4 obvious committer candidates

As above, remove "~".

> If we have no feedback about which guidelines were a concern, that is a red flag that we are being driven by bias.

I don't understand this. Lack of concern might be considered a "good thing" not a red flag.

> as RMS says

Who/what is RMS?

Regards,

Craig

Posted by Craig Russell <ap...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kenn,

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
Here it is:

Posted by Griselda Cuevas <gr...@google.com.INVALID>.
Where could we find it?

Posted by "Yoyo yw." <aa...@gmail.com>.
saya tanda saya punya saja

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 4:08 PM Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com.invalid> wrote:
> ...after login with LDAP
> credentials I was prompted to set up my blogging account (also `kenn`)...

Indeed, I see your username now, you should have received an invite.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com.INVALID>.
On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 8:04 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>
wrote:

> > On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 5:46 AM Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org> wrote:
> > > ...I would like to make this a more easy to link blog post. There was
> the
> > > comment "the dev@community.a.o team can give you access". Can this
> happen?...
>
> The PMC accepted doing so, I'm ready to give you authoring access for
> https://blogs.apache.org/comdev/
>
> However I don't see your Apache ID in the list of users there - could
> you try to login using the login link at https://blogs.apache.org/ ? I
> suppose this will cause your user to be added, as those blogs are
> linked with our LDAP services now.

I've done it. Seems to have worked as expected - after login with LDAP

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 5:46 AM Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org> wrote:
> ...I would like to make this a more easy to link blog post. There was the
> comment "the dev@community.a.o team can give you access". Can this happen?...

I'm not sure if we have a defined process for this or for deciding who
gets authoring access to https://blogs.apache.org/comdev/

I'll check with the PMC and get back to you here. We can always copy a
draft post from somewhere else once that's sorted out, in case you
want to start working on it already.

-Bertrand

Re: Beam's recent community development work

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.
Hello!

(limiting prior thread to just comdev)

It has been quite some time, including a bit of parental leave for me, but
I would like to make this a more easy to link blog post. There was the
comment "the dev@community.a.o team can give you access". Can this happen?
What should I do? What are the next steps?

Kenn

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <ke...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.

Posted by Karl Fogel <kf...@red-bean.com>.
Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com> writes:
>Dang. I missed that.
>Ross is exactly right here. GREAT idea.
>I am going to push this all over.

+1 -- it's a great idea, and IMHO not a minor point at all.  Kenneth, are you planning to turn your email into a blog post or other easily-pointable-at-on-the-web thing?  I'm referring to your original email...

  From: Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com>
  To: dev@community.apache.org, members@apache.org,  Griselda Cuevas <gr...@apache.org>, dev <de...@beam.apache.org>
  Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 23:15:02 -0700

...of course with whatever feedback (e.g., Ted's) incorporated that you want.

Best regards,
-Karl

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Dang. I missed that.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Dang. I missed that.

Posted by ro...@gardler.org.

The ASF board suggested that we (Beam) share some of what we've been doing for community development with dev@community.apache.org <ma...@community.apache.org>  and members@apache.org <ma...@apache.org> . So here is a long description. I have included dev@beam.apache.org <ma...@beam.apache.org>  because it is the subject, really, and this is & should be all public knowledge.

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com>.
Thanks for the guidance Ted,

Posted by Kenneth Knowles <kl...@google.com.INVALID>.
Thanks for the guidance Ted,

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Ken,

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.
Thanks for sharing, really nice post. I've learned a lot.

I think this can be a good example for incubating project like Dubbo,
which is facing the same issue here: not enough committer to review
the issue report and pull request.

Huxing

Re: Beam's recent community development work

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Ken,

Posted by Huxing Zhang <hu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@apache.org>.
Hi -

Here is a model form the Apache Beam project that may be worth considering for ECharts.

Note that identifying people asking good questions starts the process. This can be how non-code contributors are identified.

Regards,
Dave

Posted by Yasser Zamani <ya...@apache.org>.

Posted by Yasser Zamani <ya...@apache.org>.