Posted to log4net-user@logging.apache.org by Jeremiah Gowdy <je...@gowdy.me> on 2015/08/18 19:21:50 UTC

Log4net 1.2.14

My colleague Thomas Clegg and I are proposing to do a release of log4net numbered 1.2.14.  This release would be the existing 1.2.13 release, plus the two patches for LOG4NET-455 and LOG4NET-462.  According to our testing, this fixes log4net’s thread context for async/await usage.  By doing a bump of 1.2.13, we avoid the large amount of unreleased changes pending in log4net 1.3.0.

I understand the two developers of log4net are not very available to assist with this release.  Once we’ve prepared a diff for this release how do we proceed?

Re: Log4net 1.2.14

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2015-08-18, Thomas Clegg wrote:

> The diff is located
> here[https://gist.github.com/twcclegg/2a931390eaf95d9367c9] and is
> also attached.

I've manually merged all changes made to trunk after log4net 1.2.13 that
didn't break BWC to the 1.2.x branch and would want to cut 1.2.14 from
there.  I've also added 1.2.14 as target version to all relevant JIRA
tickets.

Could you (or anybody else) please verify the branch contains all
relevant changes, builds with VS (haven't ried that at all) and overall
looks good?

Thanks

        Stefan

Re: Log4net 1.2.14

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Re: Log4net 1.2.14

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@apache.org>.
Hello Thomas and Jeremiah,

welcome to the project!

While I can't help with .NET, I would like to give you some help to get
started here.
Here is an interesting link to read:

http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html

Please note, we are required to collect CLAs from contributors.
http://www.apache.org/licenses/#clas

It would be great if you could sign it.

Please let me / us know if there are any questions.

Kind regards,

Christian

RE: Log4net 1.2.14

Posted by Thomas Clegg <th...@freedomvoice.com>.

Re: Log4net 1.2.14

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On 2015-08-18, Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:

> My colleague Thomas Clegg and I are proposing to do a release of
> log4net numbered 1.2.14.  This release would be the existing 1.2.13
> release, plus the two patches for LOG4NET-455 and LOG4NET-462.
> According to our testing, this fixes log4net’s thread context for
> async/await usage.  By doing a bump of 1.2.13, we avoid the large
> amount of unreleased changes pending in log4net 1.3.0.

Thanks a lot for your offer, it is very much appreciated.

It's kind of obvious 1.3.0 isn't ready to get released any time soon so
the idea of backporting has crossed our mind as well.

Personally I'll be traveling with little internet access until the
weekend but I'm very willing to help.  Releasing log4net is a pretty
cumbersome process that requires building with a plethora of
frameworks.  We'll likely have to at least backport support for .NET 4.5
to the NAnt build.

I've quickly glanced over your patch and it looks as if you had merged
some parts that would break support for .NET 1.x.  This is something
that we cannot do for a 1.2.14 release, I'm afraid.

Ironically I probably won't be able to build binaries for .NET 1.x (or
Mono < 3) anymore, so we won't be offering binaries for old frameworks.
Of course those are not affected by the async patch, so they don't need
a new release anyway.

Stefan

Re: Log4net 1.2.14

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.