Posted to derby-dev@db.apache.org by Rick Hillegas <ri...@gmail.com> on 2017/11/26 00:00:20 UTC

proposed high level module structure for Derby

My last comment on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-6945
proposes how we could decompose Derby into Jigsaw-ready modules. Mostly,
these correspond to the existing release jars. However, one additional
module (and jar file) is proposed; it corresponds to the code currently
shared across several product jars.

The user experience of Derby would change slightly: In situations where
the user currently needs only one jar file, the user will need two jar
files in the future: the original jar file plus the jar file which
consolidates the previously cloned code.

Your advice and views would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Rick

Re: proposed high level module structure for Derby

Posted by Bryan Pendleton <bp...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 4:00 PM, Rick Hillegas <ri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My last comment on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-6945 proposes
> how we could decompose Derby into Jigsaw-ready modules.

Thanks for pushing forward with this, Rick!

Your writeup and your references to more background information are
super-helpful.

Do you have a time in mind by which feedback and reactions would be most
useful to you? Some of this information is complex and requires time
to digest...

thanks,

bryan