Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com> on 2013/04/17 22:11:11 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.11.0 (take 4)

After 9 month of development, we have a new minor release candidate
apache-camel-2.11.0 ready.
It comes with 679 issues resolved: new features, improvements and bug fixes
[1]. You can find the release notes here [2].

Please find the staging repo here:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-112/

The tarballs are here
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-112/org/apache/camel/apache-camel/2.11.0/

Tag:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/camel/tags/camel-2.11.0/

Please review, help out with testing and vote to approve this release
binary. Please mention what you tested to prevent duplicate work. Your vote
counts!

[ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache Camel 2.11.0
Vote is open for at least 72 hours.

Thanks in advance,
Christian

[1]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20CAMEL%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%222.11.0%22
[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311211&version=12321695

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.11.0 (take 4)

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Sorry for all the mails. Just noticed that we have duplicate manuals.

I guess for a future release it would be nice to fix this so the
tar/zip files is smaller.

davsclaus:~/Downloads/apache-camel-2.11.0/doc/manual$ ls -al
total 29488
drwxr-xr-x  6 davsclaus  staff      204 Apr 19 07:38 .
drwxr-xr-x  3 davsclaus  staff      102 Apr 19 07:38 ..
-rw-r--r--@ 1 davsclaus  staff  3700087 Apr 17 20:16 camel-manual-2.11.0.html
-rw-r--r--@ 1 davsclaus  staff  3846819 Apr 17 20:17 camel-manual-2.11.0.pdf
-rw-r--r--@ 1 davsclaus  staff  3698728 Apr 17 15:55
camel-manual-2.12-SNAPSHOT.html
-rw-r--r--@ 1 davsclaus  staff  3838817 Apr 17 15:56
camel-manual-2.12-SNAPSHOT.pdf

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Also noticed that the NOTICE.txt file talks about spring. But that
> text may seem outdated as well, as it refers to emails when the
> company was named interface21.
>
> Not sure if there is a updated notice from spring we should use?
>
> And is Spring + iBatis the only 2 projects that has this we should append?
>
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The README.txt file of the tar ball is not what we have in the
>> README.txt file in the root of the source code.
>> I guess the assembly process may pickup another file or something.
>>
>> But the README.txt in the tar ball is outdated, and we should updated
>> it for the upcoming releases.
>>

>> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Christian Müller
>> <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> After 9 month of development, we have a new minor release candidate
>>> apache-camel-2.11.0 ready.
>>> It comes with 679 issues resolved: new features, improvements and bug fixes
>>> [1]. You can find the release notes here [2].
>>>
>>> Please find the staging repo here:
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-112/
>>>
>>> The tarballs are here
>>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-112/org/apache/camel/apache-camel/2.11.0/
>>>
>>> Tag:
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/camel/tags/camel-2.11.0/
>>>
>>> Please review, help out with testing and vote to approve this release
>>> binary. Please mention what you tested to prevent duplicate work. Your vote
>>> counts!
>>>
>>> [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache Camel 2.11.0
>>> [ ] -1 Veto the release (provide specific comments)
>>> Vote is open for at least 72 hours.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance,
>>> Christian
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20CAMEL%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%222.11.0%22
>>> [2]
>>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311211&version=12321695
>>

>> --
>> Claus Ibsen
>> -----------------
>> Red Hat, Inc.
>> FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
>> Email: cibsen@redhat.com
>> Web: http://fusesource.com
>> Twitter: davsclaus
>> Blog: http://davsclaus.com

> Claus Ibsen
> -----------------
> Red Hat, Inc.
> FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
> Email: cibsen@redhat.com
> Web: http://fusesource.com
> Twitter: davsclaus
> Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Also noticed that the NOTICE.txt file talks about spring. But that
text may seem outdated as well, as it refers to emails when the
company was named interface21.

Not sure if there is a updated notice from spring we should use?

And is Spring + iBatis the only 2 projects that has this we should append?

On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 7:41 AM, Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The README.txt file of the tar ball is not what we have in the
> README.txt file in the root of the source code.
> I guess the assembly process may pickup another file or something.
>
> But the README.txt in the tar ball is outdated, and we should updated
> it for the upcoming releases.
>

> On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 10:11 PM, Christian Müller
> <ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> After 9 month of development, we have a new minor release candidate
>> apache-camel-2.11.0 ready.
>> It comes with 679 issues resolved: new features, improvements and bug fixes
>> [1]. You can find the release notes here [2].
>>
>> Please find the staging repo here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-112/
>>
>> The tarballs are here
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-112/org/apache/camel/apache-camel/2.11.0/
>>
>> Tag:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/camel/tags/camel-2.11.0/
>>
>> Please review, help out with testing and vote to approve this release
>> binary. Please mention what you tested to prevent duplicate work. Your vote
>> counts!
>>
>> [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache Camel 2.11.0
>> [ ] -1 Veto the release (provide specific comments)
>> Vote is open for at least 72 hours.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Christian
>>
>> [1]
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20CAMEL%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%222.11.0%22
>> [2]
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311211&version=12321695
>

> --
> Claus Ibsen
> -----------------
> Red Hat, Inc.
> FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
> Email: cibsen@redhat.com
> Web: http://fusesource.com
> Twitter: davsclaus
> Blog: http://davsclaus.com

Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jeff Genender <jg...@apache.org>.
+1

Jeff

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.11.0 (take 4)

Posted by Willem jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Please see my comments in the below email.
I don't think those issues are blockers of Camel 2.11.0 release.

--
Willem Jiang

Red Hat, Inc.
FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
Twitter: willemjiang
Weibo: 姜宁willem

On Friday, April 19, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Jan Matèrne (jhm) wrote:

> I am neither a Camel nor a Maven professional, so just a few thoughts ;)
>
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-112/org/ap
> ache/camel/apache-camel/2.11.0/apache-camel-2.11.0.pom
> * The POM refers to a parent POM as relative "../parent". (I think
> resolution via group:artifact:version wins if its not present there?)

relative path will help maven to find out the parent pom if the pom is not installed.
> * Packaging as POM? (Requirement when just assembling?)

yeah, it is needed.
> * Properties <maven.test.skip>true? (Because tests were executed in steps
> before?)

sometime we need to use mvn clean install -Dtest=false to install the artifacts without running the test.
> * Dependency section: there are empty lines between blocks (Geronimo, SL4J)
> - empty line is missing between spring-test and osgi
> * some indents are with TABs
> * <build> is more indented than <dependencies>

They are format issues, we can fix them later.

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-112/org/ap
> ache/camel/apache-camel/2.11.0/apache-camel-2.11.0.zip
> * doc/manual contains two manuals: 2.11.0 and 2.12-SNAPSHOT (both in html
> and pdf) Why having the SNAPSHOT here? (I think this one of Claus points.)

I guess it is caused by Christian's box doesn't clean up the old files.
> * NOTICE.txt: Camel Copyright 2007-2012? We have 2013 now.

Claus fixed this in the trunk.
> * KEYS-file only in the src-distro?

KEYS-file is in the svn repository, so it's a part of src-distro.

> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-112/org/ap
> ache/camel/apache-camel/2.11.0/apache-camel-2.11.0-src.zip
> * doap.rdf:
> ** copyright 2008

We need to update it.
> ** <license rdf:resource="http://usefulinc.com/doap/licenses/asl20" />
> isnt there a resource on ASF servers?

I'm not sure about if the file is served in ASF server , but the link in our pom is broken.

> ** bug-database http://issues.apache.org/activemq/browse/CAMEL works as
> its redirected to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CAMEL, but should be
> updated

Yeah, we need to update it.
> ** maintainer: only Christian Mueller?

 We need add more names :)
> * KEYS could contain more entries ...
> * NOTICE.txt: differs from the bin-distro. (Only Camel notice.) (Is the
> bin-version merged from several sources?)
> * pom.xml: inceptionYear=2007 whereas in the doap.rdf means
> created=2008-12-17

Camel is created as subproject of ActiveMQ in 2007.
But it is became a top level Apache project  in later 2008

> * <scm> connection+developerConnection both uses svn:https - no http?

This link will be used by maven release plugin, and we need to write right of it.
> * apache-camel/src/main/release/NOTICE.txt: copyright 2012, interface21
> adresses
> * apache-camel/src/main/resources/META-INF/NOTICE.txt: copyright 2005-2006
> (maybe we should check all "copyright" statements ...)
> * are there duplications? buildingtools/src/main/resources +
> buildingtools/META-INF

We need to fix that.
> * camel-core/pom.xml
> ** defines a dependency on com.googlecode.concurrentlinkedhashmap. Is an
> entry in the NOTICE required?

Not sure about it.
> ** javadoc links to http://download.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/api/ Is Camel
> build against Java6? (As Java6 is out of life afaik).

Yes, Camel is built with Java6
> *
>
> All over the Archive there are LICENSE and NOTICE files scattered. Often
> with the same content.

We need to ship the LICENSE and NOTICE file for each Apache Camel jars.

AW: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.11.0 (take 4)

Posted by "Jan Matèrne (jhm)" <ap...@materne.de>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Willem jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian

I'm not sure if there are some mvn plugin can help us to do that.
I'm afraid you have to download and extract the file yourself.

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Willem jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Hi Christian

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hello Claus!

See my comments inline.

Best,
Christian

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
+0

Posted by Jon Anstey <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1
On 2013-04-17 4:11 PM, "Christian Müller" <ch...@gmail.com>

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Scott England-Sullivan <su...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Charles Moulliard <ch...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Ashwin Karpe <ak...@redhat.com>.
+1

-----
Ashwin Karpe
Apache Camel Committer & Sr Principal Consultant
Red Hat
http://www.redhat.com

Blog: http://opensourceknowledge.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.11.0 (take 4)

Posted by Raul Kripalani <ra...@evosent.com>.
+1.

*Raúl Kripalani*
Enterprise Architect, Open Source Integration specialist, Program
Manager | Apache
Camel Committer
http://about.me/raulkripalani | http://www.linkedin.com/in/raulkripalani
http://blog.raulkr.net | twitter: @raulvk

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 9:11 PM, Christian Müller <

Posted by James Strachan <ja...@gmail.com>.
+1

On 19 April 2013 16:02, Willem jiang <wi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is my +1.
>
> --
> Willem Jiang
>
> Red Hat, Inc.
> FuseSource is now part of Red Hat
> Web: http://www.fusesource.com | http://www.redhat.com
> Blog: http://willemjiang.blogspot.com (http://willemjiang.blogspot.com/) (English)
>           http://jnn.iteye.com (http://jnn.javaeye.com/) (Chinese)
> Twitter: willemjiang
> Weibo: 姜宁willem
>

> On Thursday, April 18, 2013 at 4:11 AM, Christian Müller wrote:
>
>> After 9 month of development, we have a new minor release candidate
>> apache-camel-2.11.0 ready.
>> It comes with 679 issues resolved: new features, improvements and bug fixes
>> [1]. You can find the release notes here [2].
>>
>> Please find the staging repo here:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-112/
>>
>> The tarballs are here
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachecamel-112/org/apache/camel/apache-camel/2.11.0/
>>
>> Tag:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/camel/tags/camel-2.11.0/
>>
>> Please review, help out with testing and vote to approve this release
>> binary. Please mention what you tested to prevent duplicate work. Your vote
>> counts!
>>
>> [ ] +1 Release the binary as Apache Camel 2.11.0
>> [ ] -1 Veto the release (provide specific comments)
>> Vote is open for at least 72 hours.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Christian
>>
>> [1]
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20CAMEL%20AND%20fixVersion%20%3D%20%222.11.0%22
>> [2]
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12311211&version=12321695

--
James
-------

Email: jstracha@redhat.com
Web: http://fusesource.com
Twitter: jstrachan, fusenews
Blog: http://macstrac.blogspot.com/

Open Source Integration

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.11.0 (take 4)

Posted by Willem jiang <wi...@gmail.com>.
Here is my +1.

Posted by Babak Vahdat <ba...@swissonline.ch>.
Hi

Bunch of the dependency upgrades of this release was missing/incomplete on
the Wiki. I corrected the ones I spotted. Please feel free to complete/add
if there's still something missing:

http://camel.465427.n5.nabble.com/CONF-Apache-Camel-gt-Camel-2-11-0-Release-td5731181.html

Babak

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Camel 2.11.0 (take 4)

Posted by Gary Tully <ga...@gmail.com>.
+1

http://redhat.com
http://blog.garytully.com