Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Darryl Pogue <da...@dpogue.ca> on 2020/06/03 18:55:27 UTC

Strongly deprecating the FileTransfer plugin

Hey folks,

The File Transfer plugin has been officially deprecated since 2017:
https://cordova.apache.org/blog/2017/10/18/from-filetransfer-to-xhr2.html

However, the repo and npm have no link to that page or any sort of
indication that it is not maintained.

With the release of cordova-ios 6, the FileTransfer plugin no longer
compiles on iOS:
https://github.com/apache/cordova-plugin-file-transfer/issues/258

I want to reply to that issue saying that it's deprecated and not
maintained, but I feel like we haven't made that very clear.

I would like to propose that we update the README for File Transfer with a
clear deprecation notice which links to the blog post from 2017, and that
we ask ASF Infra to mark the repo as archived.

Any objections?

~Darryl

Re: Strongly deprecating the FileTransfer plugin

Posted by julio cesar sanchez <jc...@gmail.com>.
I think people knew they were leaving the project and voted to deprecate
plugins to leave less things to maintain to the few remaining people.

Since there are new committers now that didn’t vote, maybe we can
reconsider/re vote.

Posted by Darryl Pogue <dv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tim Brust <ti...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Norman Breau <no...@normanbreau.com>.