Posted to dev@aries.apache.org by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org> on 2014/01/17 17:39:26 UTC

Running Subsystems without Blueprint?

Hi,

we would like to run the subsystems implementation without Blueprint. It's
not a matter whether Blueprint is good or not and I don't want to start a
thread about that :). The main reason are a) we want to have Subsystems
running as soon as possible and with as less dependencies as possible b) we
can't ship Blueprint with our products (and again this decision is not
caused by technical reasons)

Now if I look correctly, the only bundles requiring Blueprint are the
application.utils and application.modeller. Naive looking it should be
straight forward to migrate these to use an Activator and register the
services by hand.

My question is now, if I would provide the patches, is there interest in
applying them?

Regards
Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org

Re: Running Subsystems without Blueprint?

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Great :)

I've created a first one:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/ARIES-1149

If this goes well, I'll tackle the other one :)

Regards
Carsten

Posted by David Bosschaert <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Carsten,

Posted by John W Ross <jw...@us.ibm.com>.
I, for one, would certainly have no objections to that.

John

> Re: Running Subsystems without Blueprint?
>
> Hi John,
>
> yes, exactly that's what I'm thinking of - sorry for not being clear.
>
> Regards
> Carsten
>

> 2014/1/20 John W Ross <jw...@us.ibm.com>
>

> > Hi Carsten,
> >
> > I'm not sure what you're suggesting. My understanding was you wanted to
do
> > some stuff to remove the dependency on Aries Blueprint. My response was
> > that this should have already been done by the referenced defect.
Removing
> > Aries Blueprint, however it's done, will result in the loss of service
> > dependency validation. The only way around that in the pre-R6
> > implementation would be to provide a non-aries-blueprint-based
> > implementation of the ModelledResourceManager. Is that the work you're
> > volunteering to do?
> >
> > John
> >

> > > Re: Running Subsystems without Blueprint?
> > >
> > > Thanks for the pointer John, I didn't know that (was only using
released
> > > stuff).
> > >
> > > However :) it seems that without Blueprint the features are rather
> > limited
> > > and of course everyone wants all features - so I think this still
makes
> > > sense. Or are there any downsides especially given the fact that
someone
> > (=
> > > me) is volunteering to do the work?
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Carsten

> > introduces
> > mitigated
> > namespace

focusedCommentId=13703354&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-

Posted by Carsten Ziegeler <cz...@apache.org>.
Hi John,

Posted by John W Ross <jw...@us.ibm.com>.
Hi Carsten,