Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by "Mohan.Radhakrishnan" <mo...@fss.co.in> on 2010/04/08 09:55:04 UTC

Re: Multiple log files, multiple logger names and the same appender

Hopefully more explanation can attract some ideas here.

I am using XML configuration and a custom appender. So I have one section in
the XML corresponding to one logger name and one log file.

So for each different logger name, log file and the same custom appender I
need to add one more section in log4j.xml

Is there a way to parameterize the logger section and the log file so that
one section can substitute for multiple sections ? The same appender is used
for all sections.

Re: [SCL-2] Re: Multiple log files, multiple logger names and the same appender

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
Depends how many "individual loggers" you are concerned with.  If there are,
say...., 3 named loggers, then just create 3 appenders; one for each logger.
However, if the number of logger names cannot be known at build time, then you
will probably need a custom appender that you assign to some base logger
name.  For each logger that sends info to the appender, the appender can
evaluate whether to write it to an existing log file or create a new one.

Jake

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
If you have a limited set of loggers you are concerned with, just create a
separate appender for each file you want created.  So, if you have 5 loggers you
care about, just create 5 appenders; each with its own file.  Then associate the
appropriate appender with the appropriate logger.  In that case, there's no need
to create a custom appender.

Jake

Posted by "Mohan.Radhakrishnan" <mo...@fss.co.in>.

My initial idea is to pass multiple file names in the XML in the appender
section and maintain a list in the custome appender Java code and then based

Posted by "Mohan.Radhakrishnan" <mo...@fss.co.in>.
Ok. Will try. I think you mean that in order to associate a file name with
each logger in the hierarchy instead of the appender I need to write a
custom appender.

Am I on the right track then ?

Re: [SCL-2] Re: Multiple log files, multiple logger names and the same appender

Posted by Jacob Kjome <ho...@visi.com>.
I think for what you want (separate file/logger), you'll need to write a custom
appender unless Bender Heri's suggestion suffices for you.

Jake

Posted by "Mohan.Radhakrishnan" <mo...@fss.co.in>.
This does not seem to be possible unless I use code ? I understand the logger
hierarchy.

RE: [SCL-2] Re: Multiple log files, multiple logger names and the same appender

Posted by "Mohan.Radhakrishnan" <mo...@fss.co.in>.
Thanks.

The log files are also different for each logger but the log file
configuration is inside the appender configuration !

RE: [SCL-2] Re: Multiple log files, multiple logger names and the same appender

Posted by Bender Heri <hb...@ergonomics.ch>.
If I understand you correctly, you want to have several loggers all using the same appender?

Use the hierarchical approach of the logger repository by prefixing your logger names:

        <logger name="loggerFamily1.Test1">
                <level value="info"/>
        </logger>

        <logger name="loggerFamily1.Test2">
                <level value="warn"/>
        </logger>

        <logger name="loggerFamily1" additivity="false">
                <appender-ref ref="MultiplexingAppender1" />
        </logger>

        .... more loggers for family2

        <logger name="loggerFamily2" additivity="false">
                <appender-ref ref="MultiplexingAppender2" />
        </logger>

Like this all loggers of loggerFamily1 write to the appender MultiplexingAppender1, but on different log-levels, and all loggers of loggerFamily2 write to appender MultiplexingAppender2.

Heri