Posted to dev@metron.apache.org by Tibor Meller <ti...@gmail.com> on 2018/09/19 11:56:09 UTC

[DISCUSS] PCAP data for testing and development

Hi all,

I would like to start a discussion on the possible ways to provide PCAP
data for the full dev.
The full dev VM after a rebuild contains no PCAP data. Currently,
I'm uploading binaries manually. This makes development slower and testing
problematic as well. I think a more desired outcome would be
something similar to what we have in the Alert tab, which is to have some
pcap data available right after starting the VM.

Do you guys think uploading pcap sample date as part of the
ansible provisioning step would be a good approach?
Or sensor stubs for pcap would be a better way?

I would be curious about your thoughts!

Thanks,
Tibor

Re: [DISCUSS] PCAP data for testing and development

Posted by James Sirota <js...@apache.org>.
I think another reason why we removed it was that it was being flagged by antivirus tools.  I am not sure that loop and stop would do anything because the resources would still be taken up by idle topologies and idle sensors.  I think when we switch to containers and don't have to eat the overhead of the VM we can potentially do something like this.

I think the PCAP feature development is more or less coming to completion so I am not sure it's worth investing into this.

Re: [DISCUSS] PCAP data for testing and development

Posted by Nick Allen <ni...@nickallen.org>.
I would just be worried about resource constraints on the VM.

But Simon's idea of 'do a loop and stop' might be a good solution.  We
could probably orchestrate that with Ansible tags actually.  If you pass
the tag, it will 'do a loop and stop', but by default it keeps the current
behavior.

Posted by Simon Elliston Ball <si...@simonellistonball.com>.
Isn't this what the pcap_replay role is for? We should be able to install
that role on full-dev and get the example.pcap file we currently ship to
replay and capture. It's not on by default in full dev because it's heavy
for most use cases, but should make it easy to load some sample pcap data
through the pcap topology.

Maybe we should have a method that instead of doing it continuously, has a
'do a loop and stop' version to load this data to keep the cpu weight down
and provide data for testing UI functionality around PCAP.

Simon

On Wed, 19 Sep 2018 at 12:56, Tibor Meller <ti...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like to start a discussion on the possible ways to provide PCAP
> data for the full dev.
> The full dev VM after a rebuild contains no PCAP data. Currently,
> I'm uploading binaries manually. This makes development slower and testing
> problematic as well. I think a more desired outcome would be
> something similar to what we have in the Alert tab, which is to have some
> pcap data available right after starting the VM.
>
> Do you guys think uploading pcap sample date as part of the
> ansible provisioning step would be a good approach?
> Or sensor stubs for pcap would be a better way?
>
> I would be curious about your thoughts!
>
> Thanks,
> Tibor

simon elliston ball