Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Raghuveer <ra...@infotechsw.com> on 2006/08/02 13:01:16 UTC

Removing page from browser history

I am able restrict the user going back to previous page from current page by
browser "BACK" button.

<script language="javascript">
window.history.forward(1);
</script>

How to restrict the user going to previous page by removing the Previous
page accessed by user from BROWSER HISTORY(Cntrl+H in IE).
I am using Struts Tiles Web application i have few modules to navigate from
home page after login.

HOME PAGE
- Module 1
- Module 2
- Module 3

In my Module 1 i have
page1.d0
page2.do
page3.do.

Page3.do will load page3.jsp.
This Jsp page can be viewed by User only if he comes from
Home->page1.do
page1.do->page2.do
page2.do->page3.do
page3.do->Home page

User After Submit Form in page3 he will navigate to HOME page with message
records saved succefully.

My Requirment is he cannot go to page 3 from browser BACK Button or from
Browser History.

So,
page 3.do is accessed only if user navigates all before 2 pages.
What ever i write code for this issue can be written only in Page3.jsp,

Any Suggestions on this.

Re: Removing page from browser history

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
FYI, Michael Jouravlev has spoken quite a bit about "controlling" the
browser history via the PRG pattern:

http://www.theserverside.com/tt/articles/article.tss?l=RedirectAfterPost

Another alternative is to use AJAX techniques.  AJAX requests do not get
stored in the browser's history, hence the back button doesn't have the
usual effect... many people see this as a problem however, as in general,
anything that makes the back button not simply go back to the last request

Bart is very much correct in any case.  If your system has to be secure
and robust, don't trust client-side scripting to do something like this.
It's way too susceptible to tomfoolery (wow, that may very well be the
first time I've ever used that phrase!)

Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Posted by kalpesh modi <mo...@yahoo.com>.
Have you tried using redirect in your action mapping? It should work.

Thanks,
-Kalpesh

Re: Removing page from browser history

Posted by Bart Busschots <ba...@so-4pt.net>.